Talk

Advanced search

First Trimester...Eating sooooooo much!!! HELP!

(7 Posts)
Catlover1 Wed 04-Nov-15 14:05:17

Hi!!
My first Post.
Hope everyone is well.
So as the title suggested Im in my first Trimester ..I think Im 6/7 weeks & Im delighted to be pregnant!!
I can't stop eating.
I was really healthy before love the gym etc but now all I seem to want is carbs carbs and more carbs.These of course making me bloated!!Im opting for wholemeal bread and having some protein with it!
Bread and crisps are all I want & make me feel better!!
Chocolate,cakes etc not appealing to me at all!!
The Thoughts of meat and dinners is not appealing at all!!

I have a little nausea and I find when I eat it helps but an hour later I'm hungry again.
I really don't want to pile on the pounds but i can't help worrying I will. I don't want to sound vain but I worked really hard over the years to lose about 3 stone and I don't want it going back on!!
Im still managing the gym keeping up with my spin class.
Any advise/thoughts are welcome!

Please tell me its not me!!
Thanks in advance !

Everythinggettingbigger Wed 04-Nov-15 14:13:30

cat I feel like this could have been me who posted this!! this was exactly how I felt week 6/7....im now 10 weeks and it is starting to subside a bit, still put off a bit by meat and the thought of certain dinners, but starting to be able to eat fruit and veg again rather than just carbs, I couldn't get enough of them! if I wasn't eating I felt ill!

Hopefully you will be the same and it will start to subside soon smile

I put 3st on in my last pregnancy, it took me 4 years to loose and the last st only at the beginning of the year, I felt great, ive put about half a st back on already, but im determined now to try and be as healthy as possible.

Tootsiepops Wed 04-Nov-15 14:26:41

All I ate during my first trimester was chips, cheese and tomato pizza, cereal and buttery toast grin You're pregnant for such a short time - don't beat yourself up about it all too much. Chances are the cravings will pass and you'll be able to resume some semblance of a normal diet during the second trimester.

I'm due in two weeks and have no idea how much I've put on - I've declined the opportunity to be weighed at my ante-natal appts as I don't think it's a healthy or worthwhile thing to get hung up on if you're trying your hardest to combat sickness / hormones / tiredness etc.

I've accepted what will be, will be and I've got my personal trainer booked in for the new year.

Luckygirlcharlie Wed 04-Nov-15 15:55:48

You could be me! Exactly the same both times. Both boys! DS1 was 10.5lbs! Total aversion to everything i usually eat - fish, vegetables, salads, fruit - body forced me to eat all the stuff I usually don't go massively for!! Seriously heavy on the carbs - and a lot of cheese! Someone on here put it perfectly - it's like having two stomachs, one is ravenous and the other wants to throw up! My advice would be always carry bananas / crisps with you because if you get hungry you'll feel super sick about 10 minutes later! Dont worry about weight if you're nomally healthy. I was super lucky and back in my skinny jeans a few weeks after DS1 was born. This time hoping for the same story! Cant wait to burn the maternity jeans. 22 wks and feel hyuuuuge!

goodnessgraciousgoudaoriginal Wed 04-Nov-15 17:20:58

I'm going to go a little against the standard grain of "It doesn't matter, you're pregnant, anything goes" advice. You can choose to eat however you like during pregnancy, but it's always going to be your choice - you don't suddenly lose all control over what you eat when you get pregnant!

It doesn't matter what sort of food groups you're eating in your first trimester (why are people so obsessed with carbs anyway??) - what matters is how MUCH you are eating - just like at any other time in your life.

You don't need any extra calories in the first trimester - if you are feeling nauseous, then you have to do what you need to, but obviously relying totally on food will inevitably lead to gaining more weight than you might need to.

If you feel hungry even after eating, then it isn't hunger and there's not much point constantly eating through it! It's just a really shitty part of morning sickness! Personally I found really cold water helped, but obviously different things for different people.

People will take different mind sets to weight gain in pregnancy - some people like a pp choose to not know how much they've gained, and instead make plans for losing whatever they need to in the future. Others will indulge however they want and just hope they can lose it afterwards, but don't seem to stress about it too much in the mean time.

Personally I can't think of much worse than having to try and lose a significant amount of weight when I'm massively sleep deprived and trying to navigate a newborn, so I prefer to keep an eye on my weight whilst pregnant to make sure I stay within the recommended guidelines.

There's no "right" or "wrong" approach, so long as you don't take the attitude that it's something that just happens to you of which you have no control over!

DowntonDiva Wed 04-Nov-15 17:30:09

I was the exact same in my first trimester! I went from intense exercise 5/6 days a week and a pretty good diet to sleeping whenever I could and eating every white carb in sight! I only gained 2kgs which considering the amount I was putting away I was pleased with.

It does pass, by 14 weeks I didn't feel sick anymore and since 17 weeks my appetite has been more "normal". Although I went not the scales this week and I'm now 4kgs up (at 20 weeks). I've decided its time to wind my neck in an lay off the crisps and chocolate (cos its only going to have to come off on the other side).

Keep up your exercise, try to potion control and know when to stop when you are feeling better. Snack a Jacks (the big rice cake version) were good for me. Freezing cold fizzy water also helped.

Luckygirlcharlie Wed 04-Nov-15 19:32:23

Me too pp. Around 15 wks the nausea subsided and I ate pretty healthily for rest of pregnancy. This time I'm being less good but sill pretty good! More tired - working full time + toddler + pg I guess so need more fuel! Good luck with it all op and don't worry - you're normal!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now