Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Preparing for a homebirth...

(13 Posts)
grace11 Tue 03-Nov-15 20:13:00

I'm planning a homebirth - no pool - and naively thought the midwife would bring all the protection I would need for bed, carpet, sofa etc. I know this isn't the case now and I need to get some waterproof type covering to go over things. I've been reading around it and midwives recommend waterproof table cloths because they aren't slippy. I'm just interested in what other people have used/bought and if there are any specific recommendations? I've been looking on Amazon and it seems a bit weird to buy a waterproof spotty table cloth to me! I have just invested in a waterproof mattress protector and I guess I'll get some bed pads to be sure (I'm wondering if these will be enough to protect other stuff too)?? Also, bit random, but how many old towels should I have to hand?? Thank you! x

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Tue 03-Nov-15 20:17:14

Don't know about mats but lots of towels. Useful for wrapping you both up in after.

Mind you, my best towels got used both times. Cold wash then hot sorted them.

BlueSerenity Tue 03-Nov-15 20:22:44

Lots and lots of towels. More than you think you'll need. They're useful for mopping up as well as keeping you both warm afterwards.

I had several cheap shower curtains to protest the floor. They were a bit slippy but it was ok because by the time there was a lot of mess, I'd stopped moving about much.

mintbiscuit Tue 03-Nov-15 20:30:43

Have done this twice.

You'll need as many old towels as you can get your hands on. Ask friends/relatives if they have any to donate. Same for old duvets/pillows - they are so much more comfortable to kneel on. You can buy waterproof sheets from places like homebase. I did not want to be on a bed to give birth. I needed to feel 'grounded' so the floor was better for me and I built my 'nest' there.

Blackbags too so you can literally wrap everything up and chuck out.

grace11 Tue 03-Nov-15 21:12:05

Right, I better start asking people about old towels! I have about 5 at the moment. I could sacrifice a few pillows - I see what you mean about leaning on the floor. I'll have a look at homebase for waterproof covering - can't believe I didn't realise I needed all this! I'm over 37 weeks now so not much time left... I'll get some big bin bags. Thank you x

MrsCurly Tue 03-Nov-15 21:15:07

I got very cheap shower curtains and a very cheap duvet at Tesco.

Good luck to you. You're making me feel very wistful!

xx

Stillnoidea Tue 03-Nov-15 21:22:13

Have also done this twice. Recommendation round here is for a large sheet of bubble wrap from the Red Cross or a cheap tesco shower curtain. I also had an old duvet cover but I think only used 1 or 2 old towels.

Stillnoidea Tue 03-Nov-15 21:29:16

Have you been told about the angle poise light in case of stitches? And a washing up bowl (I think in case you are sick). There used to be a good list online if you google home birth equipment or something like that.

Topsy34 Tue 03-Nov-15 22:18:33

We use the decorators sheets from homebase, they have an absorbant top and waterproof back, they cover a big area and just roll them up and chuck after. Things like puppy pads from b&m bargains are fab too, cheaper than inco pads.

Stuff wise, you dont need loads.
- floor covering
- towels
- snacks/drinks
- a bright lamp (in case you need stitches)
- hot water (for mw and you to wash)
- box with bits for you and baby after the birth (nighties, knickers, pads, babygro etc)

Think thats it.....

Topsy34 Tue 03-Nov-15 22:19:15

Oooh some people make up a birthing area, in which case pillows, duvets etc are good.

weeonion Tue 03-Nov-15 22:30:19

Exciting times grace! This time last year my waters had just gone and i was getting ready for my home birth.

I had lots of old towels (my local charity shops scoured their stock rooms for them), I had bought puppy pads from pound land, I had an ok duvet for kneeling on, a couple of cheapo plastic decorating sheets and 2 shower curtains from Tesco.

I had to transfer to hospital in the end and was glad I had packed a hospital bag just in case. I laboured at him and it was great to be able to do that with my birthing ball, lovely lights, soft furnishings and bean bags.

Good luck and looking forward to yr birth story in a few weeks.

gillyweed Tue 03-Nov-15 22:34:53

Also done twice but with pool so slightly different. Don't think we used that many towels... loads of cheap shower curtains, although to be honest the mess wasn't that bad (or maybe it was just contained in the pool!?).

Defo set up a 'control centre'; somewhere everything is ready to go for the foreseeable. Somewhere to sit/kneel/rock (soft floor coverings for your knees!), sick bucket, good access to loo and water, place for midwives to set up all their equipment and papers (floor area for equip & table/chair) food and drinks, hospital bag (easier to have everything together!), clothes for you and baby ready (you don't want your other half asking where the babygros live after, trust me), blankets and warm clean towels for after, may need a large area for G & A but depends on size of canisters, torch/good light, bin bags, heating (the midwives will want it warm!).

Having home birthed in 2 different nhs trusts I really suggest talking to your midwifes; the differences can be vast in what and when they bring things.

Good luck!

RedZeppelin Wed 04-Nov-15 14:37:13

Also done with a pool. We used very little stuff really. A few towels which were boil washed and came up fine afterwards.

I bought a cheap waterproof tablecloth from Dunelm which did the job. I did need stitches but the midwife was able to improvise with the lighting we had available so an angle-poise really wasn't necessary. I wouldn't go to town with sourcing equipment - you probably have everything you "need" already!

I'd also suggest getting some snacks (cake/biscuits) in for the midwives and helpers & plenty of milk for tea/coffee - they will be doing all the clearing up for you and will really appreciate it.
One of the best bits for me was snuggling up on the sofa with my new baby, a cup of tea and a bacon sarnie - so a little treat for afterwards is quite nice to have.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now