Talk

Advanced search

Pregnancy sickness and nausea but nit technically HG

(11 Posts)
TeamSteady Tue 03-Nov-15 15:01:57

Hi all,

I have been suffering for the past two weeks, getting progressively worse with severe nausea and retching with the odd bit of vomiting- only 1/2 times per day- but CONSTANT nausea and retching.

Its affecting my whole life- looking after other DCs, any sort of housework, looking after the animals, cooking is a complete no. I have no support- my parents live abroad and dh works long hours in the city so out the house by 7 and not home til 9pm or later.

The only thing i do is try and rest and heave. Driving the kids to school, i regularly have to pull over and retch. It is just miserable.

I had my 8w booking in appointment today where i heaved all over the midwife, then burst into tears.

She said she was very sympathetic but nothing she could do/or give me.

Has anyone who hasn't been suffering from hg been prescribed anything?

I just don't know how i can cope with at least four more weeks of this.

waxweasel Tue 03-Nov-15 15:19:47

Yes I had similar - just constant nausea and retching, but rarely being sick (less than you). I eventually saw the GP and she prescribed metaclopramide - it's an anti sickness drug which has been used in pg for years, and is completely safe. I was reluctant to take medication but DH and I researched it, and once we sawhow safe it was, there seemed no reason not to take it. It has really helped, both with nausea and sickness.

I also started taking vitamin B6 tablets at about 7 weeks and they really took the edge off the nausea. The GP said she would have recommended that too if I hadn't already been taking them. Info here: www.motherisk.org/documents/BSRC_morning_sickness_EN.pdf

Hope you feel better soon

ComeLuckyApril Tue 03-Nov-15 15:28:30

Similar here. I saw the GP, then a different GP, and eventually got medication. It's affecting your life and the medication is safe. Severe nausea is no joke. I actually hadn't been vomiting at all at the point when they prescribed - it was affecting my life though and I had taken time off work.

This site is useful: www.pregnancysicknesssupport.org.uk/help/treatments/, there is lots they can give you - don't take no for an answer.

bugista Tue 03-Nov-15 16:29:22

I've had HG (19 weeks preg at the mo) and one of the worst aspects of it is in the nausea, it's really debilitating and awful so I completely sympathise! There is definitely things they can give you to try and relieve it - and you have every right to ask for them when it's having this sort of impact on your life. I was put on cyclizine and metaclopramide (at different times) so you could ask to try both of these - they're completely safe.

The one thing I'd say though is while the metaclopramide did help with the vomming, it did nothing at all for lessening the nausea - neither did the cyclizine. I couldn't find anything that actually helped with that but each person is different so you should definitely give it a try!

Panickingalot Tue 03-Nov-15 17:39:48

This is ridiculous. Go to your GP immediately. There is a range of drugs to try.

Nothing boils my piss more than professional healthcare workers who dismiss severe nausea and/or nausea. Even if it is not classed as HG it can still be debilitating.

TeamSteady Tue 03-Nov-15 18:22:43

Thank you all for the replies so much. I am feeling so run down by it and over emotional they've made me cry.

I have a lovely GP so I will try and get an appointment with her asap (sadly she only works p/t)

I just came away from the appointment feeling so despondent. I knew there were medications available (just not whether they were prescribed if you didn't have full on hg) and both the mw and student mw both repeatedly said there is nothing to be done for the sickness. They actually said even if it progresses to hg and they are worried about dehydration they only treat the dehydration with iv fluids, there is nothing more they can do.

Thank you all

waxweasel Tue 03-Nov-15 18:35:03

That is such absolute nonsense! They can and will prescribe a range of medication for both nausea and sickness - and if you ended up in hospital dehydrated then they work their way through the drugs til they find one that works! It annoys me so much that women are expected to just grin and bear it. My MW was similar - just gives me a head tilt and a sort of condescending 'awww, it's a good sign to feel sick'. She might as well have accompanied it with a pat on the head!

And the bloody pharmacist - when I went to get my prescription for the metaclopramide, she told me the sickness only lasts the first 3 months anyway (despite having told her that I was past that point, and sick all the way to the end with my first pregnancy), and had I tried ginger biscuits? I wanted to punch her.

Anyway. You don't need to suffer - please do get yourself treated properly. It's so depressing and debilitating so I do feel for you. It will get better x

Mouthfulofquiz Tue 03-Nov-15 18:44:19

I would go to your GP - I did, and was prescribed Avomine. Now; this made ME very drowsy but at least if I took one at night, it prevented me waking up multiple times with nausea, and having a decent sleep helped me a fair bit. I too was regularly to be found spewing into a bowl at traffic lights etc. not pleasant.
Take a look at the NICE guidelines and then go to a GP. There are options. I lost a stone and a half in 10 weeks - and that sort of weight loss isn't really sustainable. Look after yourself, and don't get fobbed off flowers

Corabell Tue 03-Nov-15 18:55:22

Just to say I have HG but have not been hospitalised. Stemitil is one of the three drugs I am on and it cut the nausea way down. If it's so bad that you can't function then ask/ demand treatment.

scrivette Tue 03-Nov-15 19:06:42

Don't suffer in silence, go back to the GP and explain again.

I had HG throughout my pregnancy and the amount of people that said just to eat a ginger biscuit was unbelievable. I think that lots of people can't imagine what it's like until they have had it.

I took Cyclzine until the day I gave birth, I did try a couple of other tablets but they didn't do any good so be prepared that the initial one prescribed to you may not be effective.

It's really important to try to keep your fluids up, sometimes I could only face an ice cube which was better than nothing.

Mummytoabeaut1 Tue 03-Nov-15 19:12:47

Unfortunately I suffered terribly with hg in my pregnant it started around 13 weeks until I was in and out of hospital. Please see a go as there is an anti-sickness tablet that helps a bundle. So times I find heaving is worse then being sick your go will be able to help you with this. Don't suffer in silence when there is treatment. Hope you begin to feel better soon!flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now