Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Getting Private Health Care Whilst Pregnant

(5 Posts)
StuartPaterson Tue 03-Nov-15 10:21:56

Hello,
Just discovered my wife is approx 4-5 weeks pregnant and whilst I am delighted I am kicking myself for not having healthcare in place before hand. On the advise from another thread I looked in to AVIVA although you need to be with the for 10 months to get the pregnancy cover.

Could you kindly point me in the right direction to get her private health cover please.
The closest hospital to us is Lister in Stevenage which has mixed review.

Thank you in advance

WhiskyTangoFoxtrot Tue 03-Nov-15 10:39:42

I didn't think you could get cover for a pregnancy that has already begun. So you'll need to self-fund.

FWIW, I think you do need to be near the place where you intend to deliver because a lengthy transfer once in labour Isn't Much Fun. So you'll need to list all those you can reach easily, and then see what packages they offer.

Panickingalot Tue 03-Nov-15 17:48:54

I don't think any insurers in the uk cover pregnancy due to the wide coverage of the NHS so don't kick yourself! This was the iguanodon last time I checked anyway smile

Panickingalot Tue 03-Nov-15 17:49:22

This was the situation last time I checked anyway*

Impatientwino Tue 03-Nov-15 18:26:04

Pregnancy cover is rare with private medical anyway.

I'm under Lister and have had nothing but fantastic assistance from there. My booking appointment came through quickly and each midwife I have seen have been great. Lots and lots of our friends have had their babies at the Lister and all have been pleased with the labour/postnatal care with the exception of the food! I think bad food is pretty common though!

Most of your wife's appointments will be with the community midwifes at a doctors surgery anyway unless she's consultant led care.

Incidentally I have used Pinehill hospital in Hitchin not for pregnancy related conditions privately which is the closest private hospital to Lister as we have healthcare from my husbands employer and they haven't been all that great! In particular we also had a private early scan in this pregnancy there and I was really unhappy with the service.

I've also been an inpatient there and my care wasn't what I would have expected at all from a private hospital.

Private doesn't always mean better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now