Talk

Advanced search

when do you get your maternity exemption certificate?

(16 Posts)
Autumn2014 Mon 02-Nov-15 13:02:38

I've got the dentist next week, I normally have to pay for my check ups
I just wondered if I physically need the form to claim exemption, what month you get them, and who.gives it to you?

RedZeppelin Mon 02-Nov-15 13:05:01

I filled the form in at my booking-in appointment with the midwife and the card came through the post about 10 days later.

bonzo77 Mon 02-Nov-15 13:10:06

No need for the card to claim free dental treatment. They cannot demand it. If you feel super conscientious you can give them the details once it arrives. Your GP or midwife can provide and sign the form. I've always got them back pretty quick, within a couple of weeks I think.

DinoSnores Mon 02-Nov-15 13:11:35

The form is also backdated a month before you submit it so it 'works' even before you have received the physical card.

Everythinggettingbigger Mon 02-Nov-15 14:09:30

I sent mine off a week ago and haven't received it yet. you do need to fill a form out and get the midwife to sign it though. I just asked at my docs and they got the midwife to sign it next time she was in and sent it off. I had to pick a prescription up at the same time, I ticked that I had an exemption card and they just signed something saying that they hadn't seen it. I need to go to the dentist and still don't have my card so I will be doing the same, I need route canal so its not like i'm trying to get out of a few £ its about £50

cth1982 Mon 02-Nov-15 14:12:50

your midwife will give you a form at your booking appointment and the card comes through about a week or so later. If you let your dentist know they will make a note of it and you might need to show them when you go back but they should be fine!

Autumn2014 Mon 02-Nov-15 14:15:31

I'm 14 weeks now and already had my booking in but didn't get one. I don't see the mw again until after my dentist appointment, hopefully they won't ask for it.

Paperblank Mon 02-Nov-15 18:53:46

My MW sent off my form at my booking in appt. Perhaps give her a call or GP surgery and see if they can help. As PP have said it came through quickly.

Frillsandspillsx2 Mon 02-Nov-15 19:01:59

I'm 33 weeks and only sent mine off 2 weeks ago ish even though I should have done it after my booking appointment at 8 weeks but it kept slipping my mind.
Anyway I recieved it this morning. I read online you should receive it within 10 days of them receiving your application.

Etak15 Mon 02-Nov-15 19:04:59

You just tell them you are pregnant and the exemption will apply I've never had to actually show the card for dentist or prescriptions.

Dixiechick17 Mon 02-Nov-15 20:20:51

I had to call my midwife and remind her to do it for me. She then signed it and left it for me at reception.

Cheshirehello79 Tue 03-Nov-15 01:08:05

I got mine at 8 weeks booking appointment and got the card a week later. Though you could go to dentist and let them know your waiting for your exemption card and you should get free treatment

nuttybananas Tue 03-Nov-15 12:53:58

Ask for the form at your next midwife visit and just tell them at your dentist appointment.

I got my form stamped at the first booking in appointment and just had to send it off myself. Been gone about a week so expecting it soon...

May09Bump Tue 03-Nov-15 13:00:37

Phone the midwife and ask them to leave the form at the desk of the surgery as you need it for dental work. I sent it off and got it back within a week - surrey area.

ThePug Tue 03-Nov-15 13:32:14

Call your midwife and/or GP to get a form and get it sent off. It will be backdated but you MUST get one. The NHS Business Services Authority have been issuing fines to people claiming exemption without having registered for the card. The box you are asked to tick doesn't say 'are you pregnant and entitled to free care?' it says 'has a valid maternity certificate'. They do not care if you are entitled to it anyway, without the card you are fraudulently claiming something free.

Klaptrap Tue 03-Nov-15 13:52:31

My GP gave me one at my first appointment (when they do the initial risk assessment and give you your maternity pack).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now