Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Heart palpitations when lying down?

(11 Posts)
PinkPlaid Mon 02-Nov-15 11:36:42

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone else is having problems with heart palpitations when trying to get to sleep? Over the last week I've been getting woken just after dozing off by a pounding heart and breathlessness.

I saw the GP about this on Friday and she said it was a side-effect of pregnancy and to "change positions" (I'm lying on my side, propped up now).

I suffer from anxiety and being woken up feeling like I can't breathe is causing me to go into anxiety attacks.

If anyone's experienced this and has tips on how to calm it, please do let me know. The GP has basically told me there's nothing they can do and I feel foolish sad Thank you x

HedwigHouse Mon 02-Nov-15 11:40:38

I had this and it freaked me out too. I was convinced I was going to have a heart attack in labour or something! The GP said it's very common but did an ECG anyway which was normal and it disappeared the day I gave birth. Easy to say but try not to panic, loads of people experience it and it's nothing sinister.

mummyneedinganswers Mon 02-Nov-15 11:53:00

I had these and just kept thinking it was pregnancy until I was in hospital and it happened when they were doing my obs turned out I was anaemic and the heart has to work harder with low iron. Went away as soon as my levels came back up

ItIsHowItIsx Mon 02-Nov-15 11:56:48

I had it when lying on my back.

Brummiegirl15 Mon 02-Nov-15 12:24:24

I had this and still have it. As a result I had a 24 hr cardiac trace done and it was completely normal.

It's just your body forcing the blood around your body and unfortunately you can panic when you feel it, which makes it worse.

You do just need to try and force yourself to relax which is easier said than done!!!

PinkPlaid Mon 02-Nov-15 13:13:45

Thanks so much all for replying, it's reassuring to know that this is normal. I was at the end of my tether with it last night and my lungs are still 'burning' today.

mummyneedinganswers: I started taking the pregnacare supplements in the last few days in the hope that getting some additional iron might help. Did you take any supplements?

Brummiegirl15: do you mind me asking how many weeks you are? I'm at 23 and the thought of having this for the rest of the pregnancy is making me feel really low and hopeless.

Thanks again all x

madsaz76 Mon 02-Nov-15 21:04:19

It is definitely common. I got really bad palpitations a couple of weeks ago - my ecg was just normal sinus rhythm but it was the force of my heart that felt wierd.

You cardiac output goes up - that's a combination of heart rate and the amount of blood in each squeeze. This happens to help deliver extra blood to your uterus and baby and is important. I am noticing I can feel pulses in all sorts of wierd places.

Anxiety can worsen the sensation - but you can slow your heart rate with some simple breathing techniques and distraction. Bear with me.....

I imagine my body is a fat balloon and I need to inflate myself. Eyes closed. Deep breath in over a couple of beats. Breath out though pursed lips like blowing a balloon up. In my head I imagine the air going into my toes, then feet, ankles, calves etc.

I never get to knees before I am fine. I learned his to fly (hate take off) but it works for many other things. Pulse and BP always come down with deep breaths.

Your body is just doing a god job of looking after both you and baby smile

Brummiegirl15 Mon 02-Nov-15 21:13:07

I'm 27 weeks so a month ahead of you.

I still get them occasionally but once I knew they were harmless it was easier to calm myself down if that makes sense

mummyneedinganswers Mon 02-Nov-15 21:33:36

I had to take iron tablets twice daily as my levels were very low I had already been taking pregnancy supplements buy was advised to stop them and continue with my 5mg of folic acid and my iron

Skiptonlass Mon 02-Nov-15 22:30:32

Yes! I could feel my pulse in very odd places, like my gums...

Had v low blood pressure the whole way. Deep calming breaths and relaxation helped. It just felt like the whole system was working much harder than normal.

PinkPlaid Tue 03-Nov-15 10:43:57

Thanks so much for your replies, it's really helped calm me down.

madsaz76 - thank you for the deep-breathing tip - I tried it last night and had an undisturbed night's sleep smile

Will ask my midwife about checking iron levels at my 25-week appointment next week. I'm reluctant to go back to my GP as I think she already thinks I'm a time waster!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now