Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Co-codamol

(18 Posts)
Everythinggettingbigger Sun 01-Nov-15 21:17:35

Help I have the worst toothache, no shops around are open and all I have is co codamol, is it safe to take?

Notimefortossers Sun 01-Nov-15 21:18:33

I'm pretty sure you're only allowed to take paracetemol . . .sorry!

Notimefortossers Sun 01-Nov-15 21:21:04

However! Most people on this thread seem to think it's ok!

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/715939-co-codamol-in-pregnancy/AllOnOnePage

5madthings Sun 01-Nov-15 21:23:12

I was prescribed Co codomol for my spd in pregnancy.

They don't like you to take it regularly in late pregnancy as baby can have withdrawl type symptoms after birth,but only if you have been taking it at max amount iyswim. It is also given to bfeeding mums.

So a one off dose until you can see Dr/dentist should be fine.

sepa Sun 01-Nov-15 21:37:54

I have been told by all health preofessionals I have seen during pregnancy that it is fine until last trimester (I have arthritis so I have to take strong pain killers at times) I limit myself to 4 a day which is half of what you can say.
Baby has always been ok at my scans

Everythinggettingbigger Sun 01-Nov-15 22:07:34

Thanks everyone! A very lengthy call to NHS direct told me it was ok to take it for a few doses, will try and keep to just the one until I can get some paracetamol! I had seen so many mixed reviews by googling, seems to be easing off now after taking 1 co-codamol! I'm not leaving that dentist until something is done tomorrow!

RedZeppelin Mon 02-Nov-15 10:55:19

Codeine constipates so take some prunes as well!!

TillITookAnArrowToTheKnee Mon 02-Nov-15 10:57:24

I was prescribed cocodamol 30/500 for the pain after I had a wisdom tooth extracted at hospital at 14 weeks pregnant. YY to the prunes, I wasn't warned and it was a week before I pooed blush Horrid!

TillITookAnArrowToTheKnee Mon 02-Nov-15 10:57:55

Also ibuprofen is okay too.

RoganJosh Mon 02-Nov-15 11:00:08

Ibuprofen is not ok. Where have you got that from?

Everythinggettingbigger Mon 02-Nov-15 11:15:46

after speaking to the NHS I was told that co codamol is ok, they would prefer it if I stuck to paracetemol but that wasn't an option last night, but before I out the phone down they told to point blank stay away from Ibruprofen?

Tarzanlovesgaby Mon 02-Nov-15 11:20:32

ibupriprufen is ok in the second trimester if everything is ok and if a dr advises.
co-codamol is fine unless 3rd trimester. if the pain is really bad see a dr for advice.

TillITookAnArrowToTheKnee Mon 02-Nov-15 11:29:25

My GP. My dentist. My midwife.

5madthings Mon 02-Nov-15 11:42:32

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2398.aspx%3FCategoryID%3D54&ved=0CCIQFjACahUKEwiQstXF0_HIAhWLOxoKHS6jAbw&usg=AFQjCNF2Ko5NO2NR5NgKbt-UkOVD4y17eQ&sig2=8SlzyuNEzSjmbdA-l0DGKg

Ibuprofen in pregnancy nhs advice, not in first trimester and may be taken later in preg with medical advice but not often and not after a certain stage. It has increased risk of miscarriage and cleft lip and palate in first trimester and can also cause problems for baby if taken after 28wks so seek medical advice.

I am actually 18wks and poorly. On antibiotics and steroids, gp and midwife both said avoid ibuprofen.

TillITookAnArrowToTheKnee Mon 02-Nov-15 11:50:08

Almost all medication is a no no, including the antibiotics and steroids you are taking, 5mad

I had a wisdom tooth surgically removed, a nasty abscess and stitches in my gum. I took pain meds for the first 72 hours, as prescribed by my GP and okayed by my midwife.
I was 14 weeks. I'm now 25 weeks and my baby is healthy.

I suppose women with conditions such as epilepsy should never have babies then, if ibuprofen, such a basic pain med, used for such a short period of time, is considered so evil hmm Perhaps I should also stop taking the meds for my life threatening condition then?

5madthings Mon 02-Nov-15 12:24:09

The info says to weigh up the risks sp in the case of life saving medications that's s no brained. My friend with epilepsy had to change drugs and also was advised to take a higher than normal dose of folic acid before ttc and during pregnancy to minimise the risk.

The op has toothache which is hideous but she has Co codomol which is safer to take than ibuprofen. It's weighing up the risks.

I have a chest and sinus infection which has affected my asthma so needed medication ad me not being able to breath is more of a risk than the antibiotics which are ones okayed for pregnancy. Ditto the steroids, some medications carry mote risk than others.

At 14wks you were past the first trimester so the risk with ibuprofen was lower at tgst point, it rises again past 28wks where taking it longer term has led to heart issues.

I posted link to nhs advice rather than just some Rand saying it's Ok.. It needs to be taken with medical supervision, depending at what stage of pregnancy op is at a one of dose or couple of doses could well be fine but she is best to seek medical advice. That's alli said, seek medical advice rather than just listen to random say it's Ok, no need to be so snotty.

I have had to take various meds through all five of my pregnancies. And it's been fine but I will still say I was fine but seek medical advice rather than saying well I took such and such but it was fine. I have had consultant input on which medicatiins I should take, gp refused to sign off on some. It's always a balance but needs to be an informed decision.

TillITookAnArrowToTheKnee Mon 02-Nov-15 13:16:11

I wouldn't have said I thought it was okay if various medical professionals hadn't told me it was.

Focusfocus Mon 02-Nov-15 13:19:45

It was all I got during my 35 hour labour two weeks ago till gas and air showed up simultaneously with baby's head.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now