Talk

Advanced search

castor oil

(9 Posts)
Ladypug Sun 01-Nov-15 07:23:48

Yes or no? Does this help bring on labour and is it safe? Any personal experiences?

PotteringAlong Sun 01-Nov-15 07:29:15

No. It wouldn't be for me

www.better-childbirth-outcomes.com/castor-oil-induction.html

wonderpants Sun 01-Nov-15 07:29:46

Castor oil is a laxative. It causes strong stomach cramps.It is a drug that passes through the placenta and acts as a laxative on the baby.
So the baby poos meconium in the womb and goes into distress. It also suffers severe stomach pain.
It is a big reason for scbu admissions.
My DC was 16 days overdue and I would never dream of taking castor oil.

Ladypug Sun 01-Nov-15 07:32:34

Ah that's not good and a bit worrying that after googling it for 15 mins I didn't learn this including on some reputable websites! I will avoid it, thanks guys!

Ladypug Sun 01-Nov-15 07:33:28

Ps wonder do you mind me asking how you went 16 days over? Were you not induced?

wonderpants Sun 01-Nov-15 07:40:04

I didn't want to be induced as I wanted a home birth. I was monitored and assessed at 40+14, with no signs of labour at all.
Had a show on the way home from the hospital and then a slow rumbling 36 hour labour!
They all come eventually, and you forget the wait as soon as you have them in your arms!

Every1KnowsJeffTheJerkOlantern Sun 01-Nov-15 07:41:14

You can refuse to be induced Ladypug and opt for daily monitoring of your baby.

Skiptonlass Sun 01-Nov-15 08:18:45

Castor oil is a no no. It's got ricin in.

Ladypug Sun 01-Nov-15 11:04:27

Thanks jack yeah they are advising I am induced, going to speak to them on Monday but think it's prob safest option. Baby is priority x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now