Talk

Advanced search

are some newborns too big for newborn nappies?

(13 Posts)
trian Thu 29-Oct-15 15:54:39

just putting an order in for some now
what a palavar, there are so many things you need for a new baby and this is my first, no idea what i'm doing!

Owllady Thu 29-Oct-15 15:56:21

I'd just buy one pack tbh

MirandaWest Thu 29-Oct-15 15:58:36

They might be but equally you might have a baby that fits in them for weeks. It's good to have some with you but you'll be able to buy more when you know what size they need

bittapitta Thu 29-Oct-15 16:00:33

Yes - some babies are over 10lb - but also different brands fit differently anyway! So buy a couple of newborn size packs from different brands and then see how you get on before stocking up.

trian Thu 29-Oct-15 16:12:20

thanks everyone,
i've got 3 trial packs and then a full pack of a brand that doesn't do trial packs! They're all newborn size and the baby is measuring averagely so hopefully i'll be ok.
This is expensive! On to the cloth nappies as soon as poss!

Doublebubblebubble Thu 29-Oct-15 16:15:33

Well, I thought I was being proactive and organised. Bought all my nappies before I went on maternity leave... This picture will out me. Dont care at this point lol

My son is 13 days old and was 10lb 1oz at birth. Was 10lb 6oz 3 days ago. Happy bf bub. The sainsburys nappies I bought apparently go to 13lbs but I don't think so.... He is quite literally massive. Luckily I have friends I can divvy them off too. Soooo buy 1 thing of nappies to bring with you to the hospital and go from there!!!

avocadoghost Thu 29-Oct-15 16:22:42

Just get Aldi ones, they're really cheap and really good. We switched to cloth at around 8 weeks I think but we still use an Aldi or Morrisons one overnight.

Terramirabilis Thu 29-Oct-15 16:30:32

Don't overorder. DS was so tall (not too heavy for newborn size but too tall) that he only wore that size for a couple of weeks before they didn't come far enough up his back to work properly. Weight isn't the only factor.

JassyRadlett Thu 29-Oct-15 16:37:24

My 10lb5oz DS is fine in size 1s but just as fine in 2s now (9 days old...) - a lot depends on the shape of your baby.

The other consideration is brand - with DS1 we had to try several brands before we found the one that best suited his shape. A good reason not to stock up on one type.

bittapitta Thu 29-Oct-15 17:11:42

Sounds like you've got it sorted OP good luck smile

Fourfifthsof Thu 29-Oct-15 17:21:30

Trian I ended up with leftover newborn nappies and gave them to the NICU at the hospital I gave birth in - they'll never be wasted if you do that and it doesn't feel like such a waste of money if you have an enormous baby who is straight into size 2 nappies!

CuppaSarah Fri 30-Oct-15 09:52:16

Don't buy too many nappies. Some babies skin don't get on with certain brands, best have enough to get you through the first few days. It also gives you an excuse to get out of you feel up to it. Or to send someone our for supplies (make them get cake too)

trian Fri 30-Oct-15 11:28:50

thanks again everyone, it sounds like trial packs are the way forward, I went on the ethicalsuperstore website and they let you order trial packs in all different sizes for 3 brands :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now