Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Worried after MW appt

(25 Posts)
DimlowChips Thu 29-Oct-15 15:30:30

Had my 31 week appt with MW today and she has requested a growth scan for me. This is my first DC, so this has freaked me out somewhat as I keep thinking about the complications a friend had with a huge baby (who got stuck and wasn't breathing for quite a while after birth). MW said at the last appointment that I was measuring two weeks bigger, and today the growth line is much steeper than expected.

I know I have a big bump (and have the hip & back pain to go with it), but I could really do with some reassurance and hand holding that this doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to have a difficult birth. All I want is for DS to arrive healthy and happy.

cantucci01 Thu 29-Oct-15 15:33:36

hopefully you'll get advice from people who've been through this but I'd say, if your baby is on the bigger side, they've picked this up nice and early and they'll monitor it closely and make sure you don't get into the situation you fear of a tough birth due to a very large baby. So in a way, this is good news. If you were 38 weeks and they'd just noticed, i'd be a lot more worried. My dd2 was near 9lb and was a good birth. Not all large babies are tough births (that's another thread though!). Try not to worry.

Junosmum Thu 29-Oct-15 15:34:55

My friend was told her baby was going to HUGE from a growth scan. She came out a respectable 8lbs. I wouldn't worry too much. Also my mum had a natural birth with my sister who was 10lb 10 and it was fine - no issues for either of them. Big babies don't mean difficult births for everyone, your friend was just unlucky.

Runningupthathill82 Thu 29-Oct-15 15:36:48

I measured big throughout my first pregnancy and was told by several midwives that DS was going to be huge.... He was 8lb exactly. So as average as it gets!

CishAndFips Thu 29-Oct-15 15:41:48

My midwife told me I was measuring Two weeks over. She never referred for a scan but I have seen a different midwife each time and been told I'm actually measuring spot on. This measurement is very subjective so for now try not to worry until the scan. If you are measuring two weeks over at the scan I would assume they will do growth scans and keep a very close eye on you. My first was 9.3lb born and I'm pregnant again now

lemon101 Thu 29-Oct-15 16:07:08

I'm 34 weeks and have been measuring 2-3 weeks ahead consistently with the exception of the last visit. At 32 weeks all of a sudden I was measuring only 30 weeks. Which is also kind of weird considering at 30 weeks I was measuring 32 weeks. My son appears to have shrunk confused.

Bottom line is the fundal measurements are not reliable so it might be you go for a growth scan and there is nothing to be concerned about. Its also worth mentioning as pp's have said that even a growth scan can be misleading - if the baby is at a weird angle, they get weird measurements and can also be totally out on their estimation of sizes....

Good luck and don't worry too much!

f1fan2015 Thu 29-Oct-15 16:10:58

Don't panic. 4 weeks before I was due I was told I was measuring big and needed a growth scan. Turns out baby was small and there was lots of amniotic fluid in my bump!

Dixiechick17 Thu 29-Oct-15 17:05:28

My friend was told she was having a 10lber, her little boy was 7 1/2lbs when he was born. Bump measurements aren't always accurate as it depends on how the baby is laying. Try not to worry too much, wait and see what the scan says.

KittyandSqueal Thu 29-Oct-15 18:19:44

I was sent for a scan with dd1 partly for minor bleeds and partly because she was slightly big.

They told me at 37 weeks if I went to term she'd be 10lbs. I begged them to induce me at 40 weeks and they wouldn't.

Gave birth at 40+4, she was 8lbs 6 (although the MW and consultant guesses ranged from 9-11lbs before she was weighed, she was a long skinny thing and still is!)

eggsnbeans Thu 29-Oct-15 19:24:06

Def nothing to panic over! My first was 9l s and birth was not a big issue. No 2 I measured 2-3 weeks behind the whole time and she was 10lbs 2oz. Fundal measurement is not that accurate. I know heaps of people who were told they were having a giant baby based on scans and baby arrived at around 8lbs!

Nousername2015 Thu 29-Oct-15 19:24:54

Hand holding from over here dimlow as I'm going through the same. 28 weeks, had a growth scan yesterday due to measuring big. Head and abdo measurments above 95th centile, fl somewhere between 50 and 95. Already 3lb! shock
The hospital called today and said they are sending me an appointment to discuss my choices - I assume this means induction or c section. I've googled (of course) and it sounds like what happened to your friend is quite a rare occurrence so please don't worry. The way I'm looking at this is that I'm thankful it's been picked up now so any options can be explored for a safe birth.
Of course hopefully the measurements are a load of tosh and we've both actually got average sized babies!

Sociallyawks Thu 29-Oct-15 19:44:33

I measured small towards the end of my pregnancy and was sent for a growth scan which showed DS was actually on the large side.

He was born at 38+6 weighing 7lb 4ozs.

I wouldn't worry too much, weight is something that I hear they get wrong a lot and as a PP said, at least they have picked up on it early so can put a POA in place if baby is big.

Good luck with everything smile

DimlowChips Fri 30-Oct-15 07:38:38

Thank you everyone, that has helped but my mind at ease. Fingers crossed for you as well Nousername2015 it's not much fun is it?

KatharinaRosalie Fri 30-Oct-15 16:32:39

growth scans are so very inaccurate. I was told DC2 had a 98th percentile head at my last appointment just a couple of weeks before birth. She came out with below 50th. Friend was told her baby is too small and not growing properly - he was 4 kilos!

Skiptonlass Fri 30-Oct-15 16:59:34

I measured two weeks ahead by fundal height most of the way.

Ds was 7lb.

Just remember that fundal height is a quick n dirty measurement. It can be affected by how you carry which in turn is affected by your height, build, position of baby etc. I'm short and ds had nowhere to go but out! My bump was massive!

Fundal height is a cheap, quick way to identify those who may need further checks. Try not to worry - it's good they are checking! You may have a bigger baby (in which case they will be able to deal with it) or you may just have a big bump.

zoeedge Fri 30-Oct-15 17:07:25

I measured big from 30wks onwards upto 4/5cm too big and everything was fine and I had a healthy baby boy 16mths ago weighing 8lb 15oz which is nowhere near what they predicted he would be!! The measurements are so unreliable that at one mw appt she measured me at 4cm too big so sent me straight to hospital to be checked so I arrived at maternity unit half hour later and the Dr there measured me as only 1cm too big!!! Having a growth scan is just them being cautious and planning for what might happen so try to worry and enjoy the extra chance to seei ur baby xxx

zoeedge Fri 30-Oct-15 17:08:25

*try NOT to worry x

Nousername2015 Fri 30-Oct-15 19:33:48

When is your scan dimlow? Like one of the other posters said, it is a chance to see baby again, although they don't fit on the screen properly now! I googled my measurements today and they are the equivalent of a 32 weeker, dates are bang on so I'm not further along. Try and keep positive, and keep us posted on how the scan goes. I'll let you know how my follow up appointment goes too.

DimlowChips Fri 30-Oct-15 21:30:25

I was meant to get a call to arrange the scan today, according to the MW, but haven't heard from anyone. Do you know when your follow up is yet nousername?

I ended up talking to the friend who had her big baby last year for support. It appears there were several women in the same situation as her, all had big babies with complications, but none of them had been picked up early. DH is now convinced that the MWs have been warned about this as a result, and they are being more careful. Hopefully it will all come to nothing!

Nousername2015 Sat 31-Oct-15 04:59:24

Not yet dimlow, I'm waiting for a letter. At this stage I don't think there's any urgency and I suppose they may be giving it a few weeks to see if it is just a monster growth spurt and tails off. Do you know how far ahead bump measured?

bluewisteria Sat 31-Oct-15 14:10:05

I measured about a month ahead, she was large on scans, everyone kept on about shoulder dystocia etc, she was 9.5 lbs and shot out like a cannon ball, no probs. giving birth standing up if poss definitely helps but as others have said try not to worry

DimlowChips Thu 05-Nov-15 17:29:07

Quick update as I had my growth scan today.

Sonographer said that everything appears normal, and DS1 is measuring just below average but well within normal limits. He also confirmed that he is most certainly a boy (and the evidence was quiet obvious on screen blush)

Thanks all for your support xxx

Any news for yourself yet nousername?

Nousername2015 Thu 05-Nov-15 19:26:09

That's great news dimlow, so pleased for you. I've had an appointment through for the 25th so afraid I won't know any more until then.

Firsttimer82 Thu 05-Nov-15 19:49:51

I was told at 31/40 I was measuring 38 weeks. A scan showed it was due to extra fluid that sorted itself out by 36 week scan. Some women get big early and the baby grows into the fluid. Don't worry. x

f1fan2015 Thu 05-Nov-15 20:06:01

Yay at putting your mind at ease smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now