Talk

Advanced search

Constant 'heavy right arm' fingers feel strange.

(27 Posts)
Chloeisobelle21 Tue 27-Oct-15 08:33:41

I'm in a total panic here so please no nasty comments. I'm nearing on 14 weeks pregnant and about a week ago I noticed pain down my right arm when I moved my fingers. A few days later I was waking up in the night with an odd feeling in my arm like it was heavy, I shook it and it went back to normal. That happened around 4 times in a row at night but now my arm feels constantly heavy and strange. Like it tired easily and my fingers feel strange and weak. I have an anxiety disorder so I went to my doctors and had a total breakdown about it because I keep thinking it's the signs of a brain Tumor. She said its a mix of carpel tunnel and also my fear and anxiety is making it worse, she's referred me for intense therapy. I just can't shake this fear now at all, I feel like screaming I'm so scared. I don't know what to do with myself sad

Iammad Tue 27-Oct-15 09:19:36

I have the same, had it in all of my pregnancys.
Carpol tunnel, ask midwife to be referred to ot or get some wrist splints to wear at night it will help.

Chloeisobelle21 Tue 27-Oct-15 09:24:08

Thanks so much for replying, everytime I google carpel tunnel it says tingling but I'm not experiencing that. It does ache sometimes if I hold a heavy bag but I've been spiralling into such a panic. This is my second pregnancy and I didn't have this with my 1st baby

Finola1step Tue 27-Oct-15 09:28:15

I recognise that heavy feeling in one arm, weakness in fingers, very odd feeling. Your GP is right, it really does sound like nerve trouble - in your case carpal tunnel. According to the NHS, up to 50% of pregnant some develop some level of carpal tunnel. So you are not alone.

The key is to alleviate the symptoms. But the big thing is to get support through this anxiety crisis. Do you have an OH you can talk to? Or a good friend?

Finola1step Tue 27-Oct-15 09:30:45

Oh and I had different issues in my 2 pregnancies. Pregnancy 1 was full of ligament pain and SPD. Pregnancy 2 was back ache and sciatica. All of which cleared up nicely a few weeks after each baby was born.

Chloeisobelle21 Tue 27-Oct-15 09:47:19

I am a single mum and live alone. I do have family to talk too but it doesn't stop the anxiety about this arm. The thing that scares me is I was in the shower and washed myself and my hand and arm felt so pathetic, like it was so weak. It is a very odd feeling. I broke down to my GP and she has sent an urgent referral but I know how long these things can take sad I just hope it is just nerves in the arm. It is a really horrid feelinf

Eminybob Tue 27-Oct-15 09:58:13

Sounds like carpal tunnel to me.
Could also be de guervains tenosinovitis, which is has similar symptoms and occurs during pregnancy. I hadn't heard of it and it took until well after I gave birth to finally get a diagnosis and treatment. Either way, nothing to worry about. (Easier said than done I know, I suffer from ancient too)

Eminybob Tue 27-Oct-15 09:59:05

Anxiety that was supposed to say!

Chloeisobelle21 Tue 27-Oct-15 10:02:09

I feel ancient and I'm only 25 hmm
Thank you. The whole thing has set me off big time. I had a close family member that has a brain tumour and it's never left my mind how ill they were. Brings it all back

Chloeisobelle21 Tue 27-Oct-15 10:02:57

Also the arm that's suffering is my right so I use it more than the other. It feels clumsy even holding a fork to eat dinner

RoobyTuesday Tue 27-Oct-15 10:30:49

Hey OP, I had this is my last pregnancy and it was something similar to carpal tunnel but affecting the other nerve (can't remember which one carpal tunnel is - ulna or radial, anyway it was the other one!). I had numbish tingly fingers and a heavy arm, sometimes with greatly reduced grip and function. I pit came to a head when I picked up my phone and it just fell out of my hand. Mine actually persisted beyond pregnancy but a week before I was due to go for nerve conduction studies it resolved completely. I'm sure yours will be something like this but as others have said it's worth mentioning to your GP.

RoobyTuesday Tue 27-Oct-15 10:32:50

Should add it was a type of nerve entrapment and I think carrying a baby predominately on one side and poor posture from breast feeding meant it carried on for a while beyond pregnancy. Baby. Number three is 11 months now though and it's completely better.

Chloeisobelle21 Tue 27-Oct-15 10:35:51

Hey rooby that sounds like a nightmare, I'm not dropping things (yet) I did go to the GP and she did say carpel but my anxiety was making it a billion times worse. Which I find hard to believe. Just want to try and not panic but everytime I move my arm and it feels heavy I'm just like ahhh. This is scary! My GP said it could last the entire pregnancy. It actually affects my whole arm right up to the shoulder. Horrible!

Finola1step Tue 27-Oct-15 12:56:36

Back in May, I woke up with a really strange pain in my right shoulder, running down my arm into my fore and middle fingers. Just woke up with it. The only way I could get some relief was raising my arm above my head. My arm didn't feel like a part of me anymore.

Turned out it was a trapped nerve in my neck. Had a lot of physio and back on track. I also have had significant issues with anxiety so I can really understand why you are so worried.

But the symptoms you describe are related to a nerve problem. And your GP is right, your anxiety will make it worse because you will be tensing up. If you are like me, you wont even realise how tense your muscles are in your neck, shoulder and back. All the result of anxiety and stress.

You will be fine. The baby is fine. This will pass.

5hell Tue 27-Oct-15 13:09:03

sorry this is causing you so much extra worry and discomfort OP; could you try to get to a physio asap...it wont cure it, but it might give you relief from some of the symptoms and actively doing something might be a good distraction from the anxiety?
good luck

Chloeisobelle21 Tue 27-Oct-15 13:28:47

Thank you for all the kind comments, I haven't been able to get any physio and I don't drive which also makes it difficult
I had a pain like I had pulled a muscle it was very sore in my arm when I moved my fingers, but it did go away, now I just have this awful dead useless arm. Trying not to worry because of the baby but it's very hard. Just want to have a decent pregnancy and be mentally stable sad

Chloeisobelle21 Wed 28-Oct-15 14:01:58

I'm really worrying about this blasted arm... It's driving me insane. So scared its something more sinister sad

Finola1step Wed 28-Oct-15 14:15:36

Chloe is the nicest possible way, there is very little anyone else can now say about your arm. Your GP has been spot on. The key now is to focus on reducing your anxiety.

I suggest you go back to your GP and ask them about support for your anxiety.

Chloeisobelle21 Wed 28-Oct-15 14:17:59

I completely understand, and I know there's not a lot anyone can say. My anxiety is overwhelming me at the moment. I'm currently waiting for councilling just struggling with my thoughts a lot

brookeberry Wed 28-Oct-15 15:11:43

Hi Chloe, I'm getting this a lot when I wake up down arm and all of my hand. I haven't told anyone because it seems to lift within minutes while I'm still in bed. Funnily enough, the only other time I had it was when I had quite severe anxiety and I did assume it was a symptom of that. But I never saw it as anything sinister, sort of a nerve thing that hopefully would pass. I have no idea while I'm getting it now whilst pregnant (I don't feel stressed). Hope you feel better soon.

Chloeisobelle21 Wed 28-Oct-15 15:17:08

I think if it went away I wouldn't feel as worried. But because it's now a constant thing. That used to be what I had, in the morning it would start and then after a few mins would right itself. It's making my hand feel clumsy and odd. To be honest I don't know how much is me 'overthinking it' I tend to over think things and catasophrise them. Especially anything to do with my body. thank you, hopefully yours will start to stop x

Chloeisobelle21 Sat 31-Oct-15 11:18:32

Just bumping this up in case anyone else has similar experiences

5hell Sat 31-Oct-15 17:35:24

Sorry to hear it's no better op....is your referral for the arm or anxiety (or both?)

Hope your appointment isn't too far away so u can get some reassurance and relief.

Are there any exercises u can do for carpal tunnel? Even if they don't help that much, wondered if it might help you to feel like you're doing something? X

Chloeisobelle21 Sat 31-Oct-15 18:51:24

It's my therapy I'm waiting for sad my arm feels slightly better tonight but not holding my breath. Thanks though, I hope it doesn't take too long sad

TammyH0110 Sun 01-Nov-15 23:47:56

Chloe, I am an Osteopath (in Loughton and Wanstead), I have had patients with this before and although these symptoms are not amongst the more common pregnancy related aches and pains I have dealt with I have seen this and have been able to help. Maybe you should try an Osteopath instead. Please message me if you would like further advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now