Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Sciatica

(8 Posts)
acquiescence Sun 25-Oct-15 14:54:56

I am 38 weeks and am experiencing a lot of sciatic pain in my left hand side, lower back, bum and down my leg.

Does anyone have any tips about how to manage or alleviate this?

Paperblank Sun 25-Oct-15 16:17:50

There are a couple of things that work for me - I've had it twice already (currently 21 weeks) and I've tried a TENS machine briefly but it's not recommended in later pregnancy.

I have tried various yoga stretches which have helped, the child pose is good but I would speak to a pregnancy yoga teacher and get them to show you a few poses.

A good old hot water bottle also works wonders. I've tried the heat pads -cura heat- they're good if you're out and about.

It is miserable and quite literally a pain in the bum! You have my sympathy.

ServingSuggestion Sun 25-Oct-15 16:57:19

I'm 27 weeks and suffering too. It's literally a pain in the arse so you have my sympathies. I've not yet found anything that works so will be watching this thread with interest.

KatyN Sun 25-Oct-15 17:11:36

I can sort of reset mine by lying on a flat floor (or possibly bed) for a bit. I used to sleep on the floor before I was pregnant but now just have to lie very flat, legs out.
Then as the day goes on the weight from my bump brings it back,
K

acquiescence Sun 25-Oct-15 17:29:34

Thanks.
I have been to yoga today which helped a little, will ask the teacher for some specific poses next time. And then been back to bed to 'reset' it as you say. Paracetamol has taken the edge off but only slightly so I'm not sure if it's worth it.

I have my tens machine ready for labour, didn't realise it wasn't recommended for other things later on, will ask midwife or go. Ta X

TiggeryBear Mon 26-Oct-15 19:32:30

You have my sympathies. Sciatica is a bitch! I've been suffering since 9 or 10 weeks. Now 19 weeks & although some days are better, some are horrible! Definitely agree with using a hot water bottle or heat pads, not a permanent fix but definitely good for some relief. Will look into the yoga though. thlsmile

lorza03 Wed 28-Oct-15 21:45:37

I have had sciatica in my right side leg and bum from very early on in pregnancy, I'm now 38 weeks and still having the problem. Now I've finished work it's defiantly helped to take the edge of. I've done lots to try and stop the pain. I've found that it helps to lie with a cushion between my legs at bed time, and just try not to stay in one position for to long both lying, sitting or standing. Plus get a gym ball I got one of ebay for £8 pounds and I've used this if I'm in a lot of discomfort and done a figure of 8 on it, that's definatly helped my sciatica. Hope things improve for you ??

BlackeyedPetitsPois Thu 29-Oct-15 09:54:49

I'll second the gym ball. I've had sciatica for about 6 weeks now (I'm 35+1 now) and just bobbing on the ball and doing a figure of eight really seems to help loosen the tightness and ease the pains.
They are cheap too - I got mine from argos I think when I was pg with dd 4 years ago. Make sure you get one the right size for your height.

Good luck OP x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: