Advanced search

Braxton hicks or contraction?

(6 Posts)
mummyneedinganswers Sun 25-Oct-15 12:34:15

I'm 34+6 and have had alot of complications through my pregnancy.
I'm up 4/5 times a week at my maternity having ctg monitoring and for the past week I have been fighting with them to treat my uti. They keep sending off my urine even though my bloods indicate I have an infection and won't treat it until they have proof of uti but I'm in agony every time I pee and my lower tummy is very sore.

Fast forward to now I was sitting on the sofa and had the worst tightening in my tummy I have felt so far it literally took my breath away and it was right through my tummy as far up as my ribs. I literally froze and couldn't speak it was so sore but it was only one and once it went that was it. I've had frequent Braxton Hicks every day from 30 weeks and some of them have been sore but not to this extent. Never felt anything like it in my life.

Is it possible it was a severe Braxton Hicks or just one contraction ?

I'm really confused

TakesTwoToTango Sun 25-Oct-15 12:37:04

I'd call your unit again. Tell them you think the uti may be giving you contractions ( this is possible) and take it from there. Premature labour is a possible (though v rare) complication of an untreated uti and at your gestation I wouldn't want to take the risk.

TheTravellingLemon Sun 25-Oct-15 12:41:46

BHs can take your breath away and even be painful. The main difference is that genuine contractions are regular and last longer.

That said, the only advice I would ever give you is to call your maternity triage and get it checked. Nobody on here is going to be able to give any more reassurance than 'it could be nothing, it could be something'. They will be able to tell you one way or the other.

You have my sympathy. I've felt like I've hit the pregnancy complication jackpot this time round. I seem to have been in and out of hospital more than I'm at home and I swear there is more of my blood and wee floating around the hospital than there is in my body.

Good luck flowers

mummyneedinganswers Sun 25-Oct-15 13:41:08

Thanks you both.

I called them they said as it was only one that it's probably nothing to worry about but if I get any more regularly I need to go in or if I have any leaking to go up.

travelling lemon
It's a nightmare isn't it. Have GD then a clot and then being admitted it really is one thing after another.

Let's hope things get easier from here on out xx

TheTravellingLemon Sun 25-Oct-15 15:20:28

That's good mummy.

I have GD too. It's a frigging nightmare! Join the Facebook group Gestational diabetes mums uk. It has saved my sanity.

I had tachycardia, but I didn't want them to xray because I was worried about the baby. Transverse lie and SPD. Then last week I was admitted with ketones. Only a week left now!

Good luck to you too flowers

TheTravellingLemon Sun 25-Oct-15 15:49:36

That'll be Gestational diabetes UK mums wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now