Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Should I go back to work now?

(14 Posts)
donnabetty1 Sat 24-Oct-15 17:01:26

I am almost 20 weeks pregnant and have been off work for the past 3 weeks. I'm due back at my doctor on Monday. I don't feel ready to go back to work.
My problems started 3 weeks ago when I was struck by horrendous back pain under my boobs and going though my back on the left side only. I saw my regular GP who said it may be shingles or another virus, to rest and take it easy.
A week later I saw another GP who told me he did not think I had shingles and could give me a reason for the back pain, 'it may be a virus'. He signed me off for 1 week. Again I returned to see him a week later, still suffering the same one sided chest/back pain, pain on breathing and slight breathlessness. Coupled with constant tiredness. Again I was signed off for a wk.
I've been in contact with my work who I get the impression think I am just being a dramatic pregnant woman.
Last week they told me they are not looking at this period of sickness as pregnancy related and I felt this was to force me back to work as it would be put down as normal sickness which has to be declared.
I am still suffering the same symptoms and now I am beginning to feel pressured by my employers that I should be going back to work now, even though I do not feel ready.
After my first preganacy I suffered badly with PND and I still have periods where I struggle with similar feelings. My daughter is 2.
Do you think I should just go back to work and try and get over these issues whilst working? Or should I take more time to try and get fully better before returning?
Thanks xxx

Win15 Sat 24-Oct-15 17:51:42

Hi Donnabetty1,

I don't know a lot about the ins and outs of employment law and pregnancy BUT I'm pretty certain your employer is NOT acting correctly....I think most sickness during pregnancy is deemed as pregnancy related and they have to treat it as such. To tell you that it isn't and to pressure you in to returning to work is breaking a few laws I think....

Don't quote me on this- I'm sure there are a lot of other mumsnet'ers who will be better versed in these matters but ring citizens advice or ACAS and get some advice.

Don't feel pressured in to going back to work- easier said then done I know but don't ever feel bad about putting the health of you and your baby first!!!!

Hellohellohowareyou Sat 24-Oct-15 19:05:08

If they do sign you off again make sure they put that it is pregnancy related on your FIT note from the doctors. Can your other FIT notes be backdated to also state pregnancy related?

Hellohellohowareyou Sat 24-Oct-15 19:06:08

It's not up to your employer to decide what is pregnancy related that's up to you and your go to decide

Hellohellohowareyou Sat 24-Oct-15 19:06:20

Gp not go!

WiIdfire Sat 24-Oct-15 19:09:21

I realise it is not what you asked, but has the GP considered PE? (Pulmonary embolism) If not, I would mention it to them.

HaPPy8 Sat 24-Oct-15 19:11:40

If it was shingles or a virus then its not pregnancy related though is it.

If you still don't feel well enough to go to work, you need to go back to your GP to have your symptoms further investigated. I don't think you should go back until you have done this if you don't feel ready, but i can see why your work are saying its not pregnancy related at the moment.

Hellohellohowareyou Sat 24-Oct-15 19:13:03

although I guess a virus wouldn't be classed as pregnancy related but unexplained back pain would be.

The sickness/injury has to be caused by pregnancy. So for example I was signed off for 3 months when I was pregnant with hyperemesis which is obviously caused by being pregnant, this was not counted in the normal way sickness absence would be. Whereas if it was something like a cough or cold then this would not have been caused by pregnancy but it probably would make you feel worse - this type of sickness would still be counted as normal.

That's my understanding anyway but honestly don't feel forced back to work, if your doctor feels your pain is caused by being pregnant then get them to state that on any future notes they give you then you are covered from your not so sympathetic employer!! Rest up and try and take it easy flowers

FizzlePops Sun 25-Oct-15 05:47:51

You really need to check your sickness guidance. Ours says most things are covered and they will put down as pregnancy related. For example colds and flu are likely to be worse and you cant take medication for them so they will treat it as pregnancy related. In my last PG I had a chest infection and it was recorded as pg related as I couldn't take any OTC medication just antibiotics and paracetamol.
Your employer I would imagine is not qualified to make this decision. You need to get your DR to put something on your sick note about you being pregnant because that may affect the treatment you are offered.

pickleandflux Sun 25-Oct-15 07:31:19

I was thinking pulmonary embolism too - make sure you have been checked for this. And don't be going back if you're not well - you need to get better for your sake and the baby's x

mumchkin Sun 25-Oct-15 08:13:49

Have you seen an Osteopath or Physio? It sounds like you have very bad rib and back pain that isn't being managed properly. Like any back pain, it needs treating and will get worse with less activity. If you're only 20 weeks pregnant, the ideal is that you will get back to work - so I would try and get to the bottom of the back pain so that you can live and function comfortably. Being signed off indefinitely isn't the answer for either you or them.

Junosmum Sun 25-Oct-15 08:30:21

If you get signed off again you need your gp to record on the sick note whether or not it is pregnancy related. Your employer then does not get a say.

donnabetty1 Sun 25-Oct-15 09:14:36

Thank you all for your replies!!
Still struggling with the back/chest pain. It's not a sharp pain but dull and constant. It actually feels like there's something there causing pressure and discomfort.

Had a terrible night last night, couldn't find a comfortable way to lie which didn't cause more discomfort. Very uncomfortable on left side.

Have been referred to physio, however awaiting appt. Hoping gp will chase this up tomorrow.

I'm back to the doctor tomorrow afternoon so will let you all know how it goes xxx

miamiaMo Mon 26-Oct-15 14:15:43

you know yr employers better, and if you have worked for a couple of years she/he should trust you. Maybe talk and explain yr situation, just reassuring that you will come back to work asap. But oth will yr employers support you if smth happens to a child or you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now