Talk

Advanced search

Okay, so I peed On a stick

(16 Posts)
MimiSunshine Sat 24-Oct-15 09:03:05

And it was positive (which is good news) but what now?

I know I need to call the Doctors and seek a midwife referral but is there anything else?
How do I know how far along I am? MN calculator puts me at c.3wks which correlates but an app on my phone says twice that?

I'm pleased but feeling a bit shell shocked, as we made the decision to stop contraception a couple of months ago (but wasn't really 'trying' IYKWIM?) but I always assumed we may struggle a little after over a decade on the pill. BF is very pleased but also feels it's all surreal ATM.

Oh and any tips for appearing to drink but not? Got a few events coming up and if I refuse a glass of wine it will be immediately suspected / outright asked if I'm pregnant.

Thanks all, from one nervous newly upduffed

TuckingFablet Sat 24-Oct-15 09:09:27

Phone your docs and they'll put you on the midwife team. Then you do sod all until you're around 10 weeks when you get a booking in appointment. As for knowing how far along you are, just check how many weeks it's been since your last period. That's all the midwifes do

TuckingFablet Sat 24-Oct-15 09:10:57

As for not drinking, could you say you're drinking a spirit and Coke,or lemonade then not have the alcohol in it? Or perhaps say you've got an early morning the next day, so need a clear head?

slithytove Sat 24-Oct-15 09:15:25

Don't refuse the wine, just accept it and nurse it, it's much less noticeable.

slithytove Sat 24-Oct-15 09:15:43

Congratulations!

Duckdeamon Sat 24-Oct-15 09:22:56

Congratulations!

The best way to avoid the gaze of nosy types IME is to buy the odd drink and pretend to drink, or pretend your tonics have booze in!

NHS wise, all being well nothing much happens until the first scan, unless you're "in catchment" for any local community midwife services that require early registration with them (unusual).

If you're anxious you might want to find out about arrangements for accessing any local early pregnancy services in the event of bleeding. Eg some areas have walk-in services, in others a GP referral is required. hopefully you won't be needing them!

MimiSunshine Sat 24-Oct-15 09:26:13

Thanks both. So make a call and then wait, got it. Just feels like i should be doing something or writing lists.confused grin

Is it normal to have a sort of tight feeling low left abdomen? I also had v.sensitive nipples last week (TMI?) but that's all but gone.

Dixiechick17 Sat 24-Oct-15 09:34:02

Calculated from your last period, the two weeks before conception are countes in your pregnancy timelime of 40 weeks. So if it's three weeks since conception you'd be five weeka pregnant. Weird but that's what you need to follow. Congratulations.

For events I just drove until I could announce and uses the excuse of it being pre pay day, or had an expensive month etc

Dixiechick17 Sat 24-Oct-15 09:37:44

Please excuse all the typos.

DearTeddyRobinson Sat 24-Oct-15 09:52:23

See your GP, they won't do anything but i somehow ended up on the list for the midwife team who come to your house instead of you schlepping to the hospital, because I got in there early. If you are nervous you could book yourself in for an early scan (7-8 weeks). You can get these privately, will cost around £150.

Oysterbabe Sat 24-Oct-15 10:20:52

I called my gp and they weren't interested in seeing me, just told me to pop in and pick up a pregnancy pack which had forms to fill in and send to the midwife.
Take folic acid and vitamin D.
I drank mocktails or made sure I was driving.
We had friends over and I had non-alcoholic beer poured into a glass. Some pubs do Becks Blue so you can try that there too.
I had period-like cramps until about 6 weeks.

Congrats!

MimiSunshine Sat 24-Oct-15 10:28:47

Thanks all for the info and the congratulations. 5 weeks does feel a bit shock but I see what you mean.

I can drive and not drink but some events are with people who think Womb Watch is an ITV rival to Autumn Watch so I'll have to appear to drink or they'll know in an instant and will just come out with it hmm

PennyHasNoSurname Sat 24-Oct-15 10:33:38

Yy to all the above

Inform docs
Take folic acid
Count from first day of last period
Be prepared for symptoms coming and going over the next few weeks
Be warned, by about seven weeks all you will want to do is sleep. And eat. But msot things will probably make you nauseous so just eat what you can when you can.

cautiousoptimist1 Sat 24-Oct-15 10:45:51

Congratulations!

Come and join us in the June babies thread in ante natal clubs. We are a friendly bunch!

MimiSunshine Sat 24-Oct-15 14:59:32

i have been taking folic acid since stopping contraceptives because all though we weren't "trying" trying, I thought it was wise just in case.

See you in June babies brew

1stTimeRounder Sun 25-Oct-15 18:33:19

Yeah I'm about 6 weeks and had 2 social events with the Womb Watch team also. I've perfected drinking a glass of wine without it passing my lips, or took really tiny sips. I made sure to keep topping up everyone else and made it look like I topped myself up too... no one noticed! I also had the cold/cough that was going around so used that as an excuse for not getting totally hammered smile

Good luck with it all xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now