Talk

Advanced search

Low potassium

(5 Posts)
Heavenscent86 Fri 23-Oct-15 11:26:52

Has anyone experienced low potassium in pregnancy? Is this a serious thing or something minor that's easily sorted?

VocationalGoat Fri 23-Oct-15 11:31:42

Easily sorted just by eating very well. Between pregnancy leeching your nutrients and the morning sickness, low potassium is common.
If you go online, you'll see how easy it is to restore your levels via nutrition. A supplement is not necessary (if it's borderline low), though definitely talk to the GP or consultant who ordered the blood work and get their advice.
Orange juice, bananas and jacket potato are three immediate great sources of potassium.

Jellybean100 Fri 23-Oct-15 17:16:19

It depends how low your potassium is and if it is caused by something underlying/severe vomitting. I'm guessing as you know your potassium is low you've been told by a doctor so they are aware and would either admit you to hospital or give you potassium supplements if they were worried. Eat lots of bananas. smile

Heavenscent86 Sat 24-Oct-15 07:15:46

Hi thanks for replies. The doctor thinks o have low potassium due to the sickness tablets I'm on so unfortunately it seems likely I will have to come off them. But he hasn't told me much about it. Just with him being so adamant that I have a repeat blood test urgently and not next week I was scared it was something serious.

Jellybean100 Sat 24-Oct-15 18:08:06

Low potassium can be serious- potassium levels effect the heart and can be a medical emergency. However as he has sent you home I'm sure they aren't dangerously low x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now