Talk

Advanced search

Pre eclampsia

(18 Posts)
zippyswife Fri 23-Oct-15 09:56:14

I'm 24 weeks. I've been having severe headaches frequently since week 14 and in past couple of weeks the headaches have been accompanied by swelling. I was referred to a consultant re the headaches at about 18 weeks but he didn't say much other than if combined with high blood pressure it could indicate preeclampsia. I am
Now very swollen after a monster headache yesterday. Should I be concerned at all. I have a midwife appointment on Thursday is it something I should just mention then? Thanks.

Roomba Fri 23-Oct-15 10:02:17

You need to ring your midwife/the hospital now and make them aware of this. You need your blood pressure checking urgently, I would say (had pre-eclampsia with DS1).

Don't put it off until next week. I don't want to panic you but it can be fatal if left untreated. Hopefully your BP is fine, but please get someone to check it asap.

zippyswife Fri 23-Oct-15 10:11:48

I'm currently at in laws for the weekend in a different part of the country. Who should I call. Just spoke to dh who thinks I'm being silly as had swelling in my first pregnancy (this will be dc3) which wasn't pre eclampsia and he's basically thrown a strop as this is potentially going to mess up
The plans for the day hmm

differentnameforthis Fri 23-Oct-15 10:15:36

Local labour & delivery dept. Asap!!!

differentnameforthis Fri 23-Oct-15 10:17:16

Tell you dh to get a grip. Pre-eclampsia, if left untreated can lead to health issues for both you & your child.

chillycurtains Fri 23-Oct-15 10:18:14

It's really tricky as it could be other things but no you should seek medicial attention. You should contact the local maternity hospital. I would ring them. They will probably have a fetal assessment unit. I wouldn't wait. I had pre-eclampsia and ended up there often being monitored. It will probably be nothing and just need monitoring but you do need to check. You may not even be that long. You'll need your urine checked for raised protein levels and your BP checked for pre-eclampsia if I remember correctly.

Autumn2014 Fri 23-Oct-15 10:19:00

You need your bp checked and your urine dipped today. Ring the local gp service that your inlaws use and ask to be seen as a temporary resident, or go to maternity assessment of the local hospital. If it's nothing you can enjoy the rest of your weekend, but if you are showing signs of pe you need treatment so please don't delay. Pe can change very suddenly and delaying could be very dangerous. I speak from experience having severe early onset preeclampsia with hellp syndrome resulting in an emergency section.

KissMyFatArse Fri 23-Oct-15 10:19:32

Give local midwives a call for advice. I had this and had protein in Urine, sore head and black floater spots in my eyes. Best get checked.

Autumn2014 Fri 23-Oct-15 10:21:42

You can ring a Tommys midwife who can help explain to your husband the importance of getting seen today even if it means disruption to your plans.

Autumn2014 Fri 23-Oct-15 10:23:30

www.tommys.org/pregnancy/problems/call-midwife/hub

0800 0147 800

They might be able to direct you to the nearest maternity assessment unit.

zippyswife Fri 23-Oct-15 10:27:22

Thanks all. I'm not sure there's a maternity unit at skegness so I'll call the Tommy midwife. Thanks. Feel like I'm being a bit of a drama queen though (dh has made me feel that way).

Autumn2014 Fri 23-Oct-15 10:30:15

I'll check back to see how you are
Tell them you are worried. Sometimes a gut feeling is as important as clinical signs.

differentnameforthis Fri 23-Oct-15 10:31:43

In my opinion, when it comes to babies, we only regret the times we failed to listen to our instincts.

It could be nothing.
It could be something,

Therewasanoldladywho Fri 23-Oct-15 12:08:21

Your 'd'h is a dick and has angered another pregnant woman (me!). Follow the advice and get checked out. Not worth the risk.
Good luck. Xx

firefly78 Fri 23-Oct-15 12:15:32

please get checked out. i had pe and had my daughter at 31 weeks with an emergency c section.

Roomba Fri 23-Oct-15 13:07:43

Yes, the symptoms can begin or worsen very quickly. In my case they didn't develop gradually at all, just one day I had what I thought was a migraine, my hands and feet swelled a bit but not so much that I'd have even mentioned it tbh - luckily I had a midwife appt that very day or I may have had a very different outcome as my BP had gone from 90/65 to 220/118 overnight.

Your DH needs to understand this, so plus do ring your nearest maternity unit and ask them to speak with him. I think my ex felt that I was being melodramatic, but he soon changed his tune when the consultant told him we were going to theatre NOW and that he'd be a dad in an hour's time...

zippyswife Fri 23-Oct-15 15:39:37

Thanks for all the advice. Went to
Maternity ward. Got checked out and bp and Urine fine so not preeclampsia. They have Said they are concerned regarding a blood clot (in my head) so I need to go to gp on Monday to be referred for an Mri scan (something else so worry about!).

Thanks for relaying your personal experiences it does put it in perspective. They did tell me that every time I get that combination of symptoms (swelling and headache) I should get checked for preeclampsia.

Autumn2014 Fri 23-Oct-15 15:58:34

Well done for getting checked out
Good luck on Monday

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now