I'm 24 weeks. I've been having severe headaches frequently since week 14 and in past couple of weeks the headaches have been accompanied by swelling. I was referred to a consultant re the headaches at about 18 weeks but he didn't say much other than if combined with high blood pressure it could indicate preeclampsia. I am Now very swollen after a monster headache yesterday. Should I be concerned at all. I have a midwife appointment on Thursday is it something I should just mention then? Thanks.
I'm currently at in laws for the weekend in a different part of the country. Who should I call. Just spoke to dh who thinks I'm being silly as had swelling in my first pregnancy (this will be dc3) which wasn't pre eclampsia and he's basically thrown a strop as this is potentially going to mess up The plans for the day
It's really tricky as it could be other things but no you should seek medicial attention. You should contact the local maternity hospital. I would ring them. They will probably have a fetal assessment unit. I wouldn't wait. I had pre-eclampsia and ended up there often being monitored. It will probably be nothing and just need monitoring but you do need to check. You may not even be that long. You'll need your urine checked for raised protein levels and your BP checked for pre-eclampsia if I remember correctly.
You need your bp checked and your urine dipped today. Ring the local gp service that your inlaws use and ask to be seen as a temporary resident, or go to maternity assessment of the local hospital. If it's nothing you can enjoy the rest of your weekend, but if you are showing signs of pe you need treatment so please don't delay. Pe can change very suddenly and delaying could be very dangerous. I speak from experience having severe early onset preeclampsia with hellp syndrome resulting in an emergency section.
Yes, the symptoms can begin or worsen very quickly. In my case they didn't develop gradually at all, just one day I had what I thought was a migraine, my hands and feet swelled a bit but not so much that I'd have even mentioned it tbh - luckily I had a midwife appt that very day or I may have had a very different outcome as my BP had gone from 90/65 to 220/118 overnight.
Your DH needs to understand this, so plus do ring your nearest maternity unit and ask them to speak with him. I think my ex felt that I was being melodramatic, but he soon changed his tune when the consultant told him we were going to theatre NOW and that he'd be a dad in an hour's time...
Thanks for all the advice. Went to Maternity ward. Got checked out and bp and Urine fine so not preeclampsia. They have Said they are concerned regarding a blood clot (in my head) so I need to go to gp on Monday to be referred for an Mri scan (something else so worry about!).
Thanks for relaying your personal experiences it does put it in perspective. They did tell me that every time I get that combination of symptoms (swelling and headache) I should get checked for preeclampsia.