Talk

Advanced search

What does is feel like when baby changes postition

(20 Posts)
Catbag01 Fri 23-Oct-15 09:42:10

Good morning all !

Please forgive me, I have been an avid lurker throughout my pregnancy but have plucked up the courage to join today ! I hope this is ok to ask - this is a great forum with some very thoughtful, and pragmatic posters.

I am pregnant with first baby, am 28 weeks, all is going well which is great, baby is an active little man with hourly thumps bumps and kicks.

At my 20 week and last midwife appt, I was advised that the bab is transverse, nothing to worry about (which I am not :-)) but as I have short torso and other ailments he might not ever be able to move so could be a c section ( I wont have them try to turn baby as they did this with my brother and it ended with a cord round a neck and perm brain damage) . Csection or natural is fine by me, I trust I am in good hands BUT I was wondering, for those more experienced , what does it feel like when a baby moves position, can you actually tell that they have moved? I haven't ever felt anything where I have thought 'oh uh he's rolled about the other way today !

I get frequent movement, thuds, flutters, jabs, sometimes feels a bit rolly but not sure what to look out for?

Bump sometimes feels a bit softer than other times but on the whole its rock solid.

I see a consultant next week to determine if its looking more and more like a C section or indeed if he does have the space to move but either way I am just curious really ......

Thanks to all ! have a great weekend !!! :-)

loveulotslikejellytots Fri 23-Oct-15 09:46:51

I'd describe it a bit like a mild version of being on a roller coaster. You know when your stomach is left up in the air! Like I said, a mild version and sometimes quite quick. My bump is sometimes hard in some places, then soft. I'd assumed it was the baby shifting around!

loveulotslikejellytots Fri 23-Oct-15 09:47:07

Sorry, and I'm 30 weeks today!

mummyneedinganswers Fri 23-Oct-15 09:55:24

Mine is like a worm wriggling around and the a sudden flip which make me feel sick x

ThatsNotMyHouseItIsTooClean Fri 23-Oct-15 10:03:28

The further on you are in your pregnancy, the more you know about it! For me, it was feeling a major movement & then having a different shape or feeling bump. DC2 moved back to back at 36 weeks which was really odd as, having had a solid bump and being able to clearly feel his bum, I had all of these nobbly bits which were hands, feet etc. He turned again at about 38 weeks and I was sick immediately afterwards it was such a flip.
DC1 did a major wiggle whilst I was being induced. It was when I was being monitored & the alarms went as, according to them, there was no heart rate but I was quite relaxed as I had felt her kick and move, almost as though she was pushing off from the side of a swimming pool. Again, it made me sick. There was quite a kerfuffle as, with me vomiting and no heart rate, I ended up with loads of MW around the bed with two trying to find the heartbeat. They did after what felt like ages but was only a minute or two and were surprised at how much her position had changed.

Catbag01 Fri 23-Oct-15 11:11:58

Thanks for all your replies - this is all really great info - very interesting and helpful!! xxx

Moodyblue1 Fri 23-Oct-15 11:17:40

I could tell because it was a really big weird movement that then made me sick, it slightly changed the shape of my bump and I could feel feet in my ribs etc, whereas before my kicks were very low, the top of my bump sometimes goes hard when baby sticks its bum out. It was slightly later in pregnancy before I could really tell babies position.

mumchkin Fri 23-Oct-15 11:29:42

A totally different feeling for me from the above - it feels like when someone is pushing their way through a crowd at a gig - using their hip and shoulder to really push and get into the position they want (except I'm fairly sure he's using his head). I'm 30 weeks.

bebo100 Fri 23-Oct-15 11:56:46

My stomach just felt really tight like there wasn't enough room - you know that over-full feeling when you can hardly move after eating too much. Seemed to be like that for a day or so then kicks were in different place. So I'm guessing that was turning.

Gravity is your friend on this one. Baby's head is heavier than their body, so try to be sit up straight and walk places as much as you can. Sure it will be fine

elelfrance Fri 23-Oct-15 12:01:10

i never knew when either of mine turned! at the 20 week scan dd was transverse, and lo and behold at the 33 week scan she had her head down aiming for the exit :-D so you might not necessarily recognise when they turn!

LumpySpaceCow Fri 23-Oct-15 13:13:15

My baby turned at 36 weeks from head down to footling breech and it felt like I was in labour! x

Elledouble Fri 23-Oct-15 13:18:11

I'm pretty sure I felt it the day my baby went head-down - it felt like a powerful dragging sensation down the inside of my bump. It actually hurt a little bit. Mind you, I was sure he was in the right position and that the bit I could feel sticking out was his bum, but I gave birth to him back-to-back so y'know.

ImperialBlether Fri 23-Oct-15 13:21:44

My daughter turned when I was nearly due and it was like looking at the Loch Ness monster! It could have been used in a horror film. grin

Don't worry, you will know if he turns.

CalypsoLilt Fri 23-Oct-15 13:27:21

I'm 24 weeks, earlier on I felt like a tumble drier but now I feel like I've got a spanner rolling around inside! Very odd!

poocatcherchampion Fri 23-Oct-15 13:29:59

I had no idea. He was Breech then apparently head down at 35 weeks then at 35+4 he was transverse. Possibly heading to breech. And delivered.

And now he is 3 days old. grin

GiraffesAndButterflies Fri 23-Oct-15 13:35:09

I could never tell with DC1, and at 25 weeks I can't tell with DC2 either. <helpful>

All movements feel the same to me pretty much. Sometimes it's a quick kick and sometimes a prolonged shove type feeling, but nothing more fistinctively different.

Varya Fri 23-Oct-15 13:36:09

Not sure. Had twins. Not much room to move!

Whoknewitcouldbeso Fri 23-Oct-15 13:36:54

I never felt my son move head down. All I know is that on one midwife visit he was in one position and the next he was head down and stayed that way. With this pregnancy the baby is transverse at 24 weeks and gives kicks and flips continuously. I am expecting the same thing to happen in the latter stages but I may have to have a CS anyway due to a low lying placenta.

lemon101 Fri 23-Oct-15 13:41:49

Same as mumchkin! It felt like he literally elbowed himself round from being transverse to head down. The movement was prolonged and even though I didn't realise what he was doing at the time, oddly purposeful!

I am 33 weeks and can feel his position myself now (through poking my belly!) if flat on my back (although probably couldn't tell if breach or head down). He was transverse up to 30 weeks and its now distinctly different.

Another thing to look out for is hiccups in your groin - dead giveaway that the baby is head down!

GiraffesAndButterflies Fri 23-Oct-15 13:44:21

*distinctively!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now