Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

help...a bit scared

(20 Posts)
E11Chick Thu 22-Oct-15 16:46:08

So just been to the toilet and when I wiped the discharge was light brown. Went again 20 mins later and just normal again. I would have been due on around now. Should I be concerned?

I'm 6 weeks pregnant with my first baby

Any advice would be really appreciated xx

KatyN Thu 22-Oct-15 17:31:12

I had a couple of browny wipes this pregnancy. I called the gp surgery who referred me to the midwifery team who sent me to the early assessment unit at the hospital and I had a scan. It was about 9 weeks for me so a bit later. Then they could see the baby was fine.
You could try ringing the gp if you are worried (of course you're worried but really worried) but I also think it would be more than a browny wipe if it was anything sinister (I'm not a medical professional, mind).
Kx

PrincessPunzie Thu 22-Oct-15 21:38:41

I had something similar last weekend when I was 6 and a half weeks. Because the doctor was closed I called 111 who referred me to the antenatal department, who in turn sent me for a scan on Monday morning. Baby is fine and we could see the heartbeat. It was an immense relief! Everyone took it very seriously and was ever so helpful, I had the teeniest bit of brown blood this morning also, but they'd warned me that could happen - they could find no reason for the bleed and said that sometimes it just happens, and that due to the presence of the heartbeat I'm unlikely to miscarry at this stage. Don't feel silly about asking for an appointment, they take even the lightest amount of bleeding very seriously and I'm ever so glad I went in and had my mind put to rest x

E11Chick Fri 23-Oct-15 06:36:02

Thanks both, I haven't had anything since and there was no red blood just brown.

However, I may ring 111 today and see what they say just to be on the safe side.

Thank you both for the help/advice - such a worrying time! X

Inwaiting Sat 24-Oct-15 12:39:59

Hi sweet. Just saw your message about the other day. how are you getting on? xxx

E11Chick Sat 24-Oct-15 13:43:34

Hiya, no more odd discharge since Thurs afternoon (sorry tmi) but saw my gp yesterday. She did some tests and asked some questions and seems to think all is ok. She has booked me in for a scan Monday morning just to check though. Still got nausea on and off all day too. How are you getting on? Xx

Inwaiting Sat 24-Oct-15 14:04:07

That's good! I don't feel anything. Only symptom I've got is sore boobs. Starting to worry that I should be having some more? Although appetite is through the rough I can't stop eating! I've got my doctors appointment on Monday and I've booked in for an early 8 week scan xxx

Frazzled2207 Sat 24-Oct-15 14:36:21

Thats good you have a scan to be sure. I had brownish discharge at 4/5 weeks with both my pregnancies -2 healthy kidssmile. Midwife always said not to worry unless discharge was red and/or accompanied by pain.

Frazzled2207 Sat 24-Oct-15 14:37:44

Inwaiting don't worry that sounds normal too! Sore boobs sounds promising I didn't even have that!

E11Chick Sun 25-Oct-15 06:40:15

Thanks both. Inwaiting that sounds like me when I first found out its only the past week that feeling sick has kicked in really. I thought I was about 6 weeks but doctor said 7 so I may be a bit further than I thought x

VocationalGoat Sun 25-Oct-15 06:52:15

I've had this with all 3 of my kids...actually far worse than what you've experienced. So try not to panic. flowers It's not unusual at all to get a brown bleed at this stage. Mine were always accompanied with cramping. It could be old blood from implantation or, sorry to be 'blunt', if you and DP have had sex recently or if you've had an internal scan, in other words, if anything has been up there grin it can cause a bleed because the cervix is super sensitive right now. But chances are it's old blood from the implantation. Your scan will reassure you.

E11Chick Sun 25-Oct-15 07:07:25

Hey VocationalGoat, thanks for the reassurance :-) Being pregnant for the first time means I just don't know what to expect or what is normal. It's great to have support from ladies who have been through it before :-) x

ServingSuggestion Sun 25-Oct-15 17:08:37

I've had two experiences of this; it's scary and you have my sympathies, OP. The first ended in my now 5yo DS. It never progressed beyond brown discharge and I didn't have any cramps etc. The second time didn't end well, but I only had brown discharge for a few hours before it became heavy bleeding and the cramps started.

I think if it's brown, you have no pain and it's not getting heavier then you shouldn't worry. It's good you're getting checked out though. Let us know how you get on thanks

E11Chick Mon 26-Oct-15 10:35:47

Hi all, have been for the scan this morning. The baby is in the right place and we saw a teeny heartbeat so relieved doesn't even come close.

Just got to try and not worry so much I think!

Thanks for the supportive messages xx

sepa Mon 26-Oct-15 15:19:03

E11 glad everything is ok. If your anything like me you will find something else to worry about (also pg with my first) 20 weeks scan tomorrow and I won't let anyone buy anything yet as I have decided that I can't feel the baby enough and I'm worrying (I know it's me just worrying)
I have accepted that I will probably spend the next 20 weeks worrying then the first 6 months worrying about sudden cot death etc.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy flowers

E11Chick Mon 16-Nov-15 19:58:45

Hi sepa, sorry I didn't get a notification of your reply. Thank you :-) Hope the 20 week scan went ok? I'm a terrible worrier since I fell pregnant....I've also accepted this is it for the next few years, always finding something to worry about with the baby! X

BrienneofQarth Mon 16-Nov-15 20:05:23

Hi E11, glad it worked out for you! I had this with all three pregnancies, am 29 weeks with dc2, dd is 3 years old and sadly the first one developed in to a much heavier bleed which was the end of the pregnancy. Your body can do very strange things! As you'll know from changes that are happening now I'll bet. And yes, the worry doesn't stop. I'm taking a break from stressing about baby in my belly to stress about dd! A change is as good as a rest, as they say...

leanne963 Mon 16-Nov-15 20:16:43

Glad everything was OK OP. Pregnancy is terrifying. I had bleeding on and off throughout my pregnancy but now have a very healthy 5 month old little girl. Pregnancy felt like it went on forever but now it feels like it went so fast!

E11Chick Mon 16-Nov-15 20:36:19

Thanks both :-) I hope your dd is ok Brienne. My body has done some very odd things since being pregnant. I'm still worrying but trying to relax a little and enjoy it a bit more. Got my 12 week scan soon so I'm sure I'll worry about as it gets closer x

Battleshiphips2 Mon 16-Nov-15 20:45:42

I've had 2 big brown bleeds, one at 15 weeks and one at 19+5 weeks. First time I went to EPU and they were lovely, baby was fine. The dr told me unless it's bright red and soaking a pad in half an hour or less with cramping it's usually ok. Brown blood is old blood and can be from an old bleed that has resolved, sex or even just a long walk/more activity. The second time I just left it as I had my 20 week scan 2 days later. It is a big worry though. I felt sick when I saw it. Glad everything was ok for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now