Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Medicating flight anxiety during pregnancy

(15 Posts)
lepudding Thu 22-Oct-15 15:56:32

Does anybody have any experiences to share about taking medication to fly during pregnancy? I need to be stoned beyond all coherence to get on a plane and we're supposed to be flying to Australia (and back again!) when I'm 14w.

I don't have my next appointment for another three weeks so it would be great to hear any advice or recommendations people have received for this sort of thing.

Thanks!

Junosmum Thu 22-Oct-15 16:44:00

Some anxiety medication is safe in pregnancy but you are only advised to take it for long term anxiety issues. Personally I wouldn't, certainly not for something such as flying however I don't know your personal circumstances and how much flying affects you. I'd make a doctors appointment so that you can discuss the options with them - what medication do you normally take?

TillITookAnArrowToTheKnee Thu 22-Oct-15 16:46:05

I take Propranolol on a daily basis and I'm 23 weeks pregnant. GP, MW, Consultant and Psych have all told me this is totally fine.

I have, however, delayed all dental work as I can't get through that without diazepam and I'm personally not comfortable taking that.

KatyN Thu 22-Oct-15 17:33:07

I'm taking diazepan and propanol during this pregnancy. I've had it agreed by along list of medical professionals.

K

TillITookAnArrowToTheKnee Thu 22-Oct-15 17:42:07

Katy - sorry, hope my comment didn't come across as a dig. Diazepam for me isn't necessary like my beta blockers and the dental work isn't urgent, hence me delaying it. But I would definitely take it if it was as necessary to me as the beta blockers flowers

CarShare Thu 22-Oct-15 18:21:17

Could try a drowsy antihistamine like promethazine. It's also used for morning sickness so decent history of safe use in pregnancy (although obvs everything carries a small risk).

KatyN Fri 23-Oct-15 08:50:03

Not at all. Tillitookanarrowtotheknee. I wasn't especially happy about taking it, but then I wasn't especially happy abo anything!!

K

dizzylemon Fri 23-Oct-15 10:12:12

Having been through a bit of a bad patch this year with anxiety/panic (having not had an attack in 10 years I had 2 within a fortnight , one being the worst I've ever experienced) I holidayed nationally this year as I didn't want to risk my usual mild flying anxiety being worse because of current state of mind. It was just good timing that I happened to get pregnant.

I've been getting a lot better and not paniced at all so far, but sometimes use Bach's Rescue Remedy if I feel wobbly which does help but I guess it may not be appropriate for stronger anxieties. I've also used self hypnosis which helped a little, but again doesn't work for everyone.

I think you really need to talk this through with a GP though because they'll know all the options.

lepudding Fri 23-Oct-15 11:52:36

Thanks all for your responses. Normally on 4-6mg of Ativan (benzodiazepine) to even get on a bloody plane thanks to a combination of claustrophobia and fear of heights. Apparently it's not recommended during PG and especially not in such high doses. I have no idea what I'm going to do, not going is not an option.

confused

jusdepamplemousse Fri 23-Oct-15 18:26:40

Hi there - I also take diazepam to fly. Normally 5mg or 10mg if necessary. I've had to fly twice this pregnancy - 15 and 17 weeks. Spoke to GP at length. There are risks but they are more to do with prolonged use or use close to birth apparently, although of course nobody can say anything for sure as they can't do tests. I ended up taking a low dose (2mg) for each flight. Wasn't that helpful but took the worst edge off and allowed me to focus on breathing / relaxing etc. Air hostesses were great and let me know if there was going to be turbulence, couldn't do enough for me. 20 weeks now and baby is great as per scans.
I feel for you having to manage such a long flight but maybe a maintained low dose and try for sleep...is there any way you can stretch to economy plus/business/extra leg room, whatever? Who will be travelling with you?

Lilliput Fri 23-Oct-15 18:36:45

See your gp as your midwife won't be able to prescribe.

laughingatweather Fri 23-Oct-15 18:39:28

4-6 mg of Lorazepam (Ativan) is a HUGE dose. Who on earth prescribes that for you?.

I work in MH and we wouldn't give more than 2 mg every few hours to acutely disturbed and psychotic service users.

To be honest, if that's what it takes to normally get you on a plane - any alternatives we can suggest won't help at all. I'd reconsider your plans.

HJBeans Sat 24-Oct-15 18:10:04

No advice, just sympathy. I was told by my GP there was nothing they could do. Usually have 0.5-1 mg of alprazolam for long-standing phobia. Had a terrible time crossing the Atlantic in bad turbulence. Feel effectively grounded till I deliver now.

MummyBex1985 Sun 25-Oct-15 15:00:50

My GP checked his medication book and confirmed low doses (2-5mg) of diazepam (Valium) are fine for short term use in pregnancy. I asked as we are TTC and he said it would be no problem.

MummyBex1985 Sun 25-Oct-15 15:02:54

Also have you considered therapy or a fear of flying course? It's costly but worth it. I couldn't even set foot in an airport and now I manage with 2mg of Valium (previously on 10 and a bottle of wine after my first bout of therapy gave me the courage to get on the plane!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now