Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Isofix car seat base

(21 Posts)
CarShare Tue 20-Oct-15 14:33:35

I'm not sure which I need for max options with safety and shelf life (I think some can be used with toddler seats up until the child's four). Anyone better informed on this? I'm thinking I'll get the maxi cosi cabriofix car seat initially.

Dollyemi Tue 20-Oct-15 14:42:25

We have the maxi cosi pebble (can be used with isofix base or seatbelt) and a maxi cosi pearl (can only use with an isofix base) and have 2 family fix bases (cost about £150 each). Expensive, but worth it for the simplicity and speed of just clicking the seat into place. We got our pebble free as a deal with our "travel system", so bear that in mind before you buy it all separately.

Dollyemi Tue 20-Oct-15 14:43:22

Should add we have two as we have a 2 year old and a baby!

CarShare Tue 20-Oct-15 16:09:09

Thanks Dolly. I've heard about some new guidance coming in in 2018 about safety (think in relation to rear facing travel being recommended). Do the family fix bases allow rear facing travel at both stages?

moggle Tue 20-Oct-15 16:33:43

The new legislation is about keeping children rear facing for longer.
Once you get to the next stage seat after the infant ones, there are many seats (including rear facing) which use isofix without a base. Also, past the infant stage you are not regularly clicking the seats in and out unless you are regularly moving them between cars. So a base may be less important.
The problem with buying an expensive base is that you are then tied to that make for the next stage unless you want to spend more money - just make sure you've done the research and know that you definitely want to stick with it.
What I would do if I was in your shoes with the benefit of hindsight is get a cabriofix and then find a second hand isofix base - I see them on ebay and second hand FB selling sites for about £30-50. You could even get a seatbelted base, as once it's fitted, it's done - so the potential problems with seatbelt fitting (having to get it right every time you put it in the car) are avoided.
We have a cabriofix with an easybase (seat belt base as we don't have isofix) and it's been great. We actually got both second hand from a trusted friend but I know second hand car seats are not for everyone - the base I think though is a different matter as they are usually designed to show that they are fitted correctly.
My SIL has just bought a Pebble plus and has had to fork out for the 2wayfix base as well, since she did not try the seat out in her car, and the seatbelts don't go round it. Baby due any day so they didn't want to risk returning it. She's now almost £400 down and really cross about it!

moggle Tue 20-Oct-15 16:43:43

It looks like the FamilyFix is only compatible with the original Pearl seat which is forward facing. There's a new 2wayPearl which can be both ways but that requires the new 2wayfix base (as my SIL got).
I've gotta say... it's so confusing and that's only the maxi cosi ones!!
There is an increasing range of the rear facing seats. When I was pregnant last year with DD you had to pay £300-400 for an extended rear facing seat. Even now, less than a year later as we are looking at the next seat, the range is so much wider and there are seats starting from £150. I expect there'll be even more by the time your baby needs the next stage seat so I personally wouldn't get locked into a particular seat now.

sepa Tue 20-Oct-15 17:44:22

I will be getting the 2wayfix base with the pebble and Perl seats (I forget which is which but think Perl is the newborn one) which means that the second seat can be both forward and rear facing. You have to make sure you get the right seats for the base though as he older models don't fit the new base

Llouh Tue 20-Oct-15 19:10:10

I've got the cabriofix and family fix base. The family fix will last until a few years (so mothercare said) and is in line with the new legislation for rear facing car seats.

It also has flashing lights and beeps....

ODog Tue 20-Oct-15 20:10:03

For value for money I would go for a joie infant car seat as the isofix base can be used for their I-anchor seat which is one of the best value erf seats we could find. Much cheaper than similar maxi cosi ones. We didn't have a joie infant seat but use the group 1 erf seat and find it great.

Only prob is you would have to buy. Joie pram if you want to use it as a travel system whereas maxi cosi go on most brands with adapters.

Coralinebuttoneye Tue 20-Oct-15 20:16:14

We bought the pebble and 2way fix base x2 for our teins and plan on getting the 2 way pearl next.

CarShare Tue 20-Oct-15 20:23:24

Have just researched a little more and found the maxi cosi 2way (but not familyfix or easyfix) allows rear facing at both stages so have just invested in one from John Lewis. Will get a cabriofix car seat initially then pearl 2way when we get to that stage. Thanks for the advice all!

ValancyJane Tue 20-Oct-15 21:51:48

Bit of a random question, we have the Maxi Cosi Cabriofix car seat. DP's car doesn't have Isofix, mine does. If we get the base, am I right in thinking you don't have to have Isofix in order to use it?

welshHairs Tue 20-Oct-15 21:57:43

Sorry to hijack slightly but can anyone tell me up to what age rear-faced seating is recommended?

Junosmum Tue 20-Oct-15 22:07:08

Valancy, you can use it just with a seatbelt or you can can get a seatbelt base, called an easybase. That's what we got as neither of our cars have isofix.

Junosmum Tue 20-Oct-15 22:15:11

Valancy, you can either use just a seatbelt belt or get a seatbelt base, called an easybase- we got 2 off eBay for half the price of new as they are fine to use second hand and neither of our cars have isofix.

Welshairs, they recommended 15month min but up to 4 years is now considered preferable. The new I-size seats are rear facing to 4 years. All rear facing seats except the infant carriers require iso fix though.

MrsPCR Tue 20-Oct-15 22:22:39

We sorted this at the weekend. We are getting the pebble plus with 2wayfix base from maxi cosi. This will last to approx 15 months then we will buy a 2-way pearl which will be rear until child is 105cm (I think) which is when with the new legislation they can turn round. From what I gather, average child is this length by about 2. They can stay in the 2 way pearl until 4.

Base & baby seat is about £380 and 2 way pearl is about £200.

The older models of maxi cosi (cabriofix and pebble) will not comply in a few years, so we would more than likely have to replace the lot for DC2.

Also, they are rock solid around the head on the older models as they didn't used to have to test from the sides. The pebble plus is soft around the head. Just touching the sides of the older models put us off completely. For the sake of £100, I'd rather skimp elsewhere than risk it on the car seat.

Personally, we were always going with maxi cosi and quite pleased there is no choice. As far as we were concerned, the choice was made for us.

moggle Tue 20-Oct-15 23:15:33

Just as an FYI relating to something I read above, there are plenty of extended rear facing seats that aren't isofix. We'll be getting one that is seat belted when the time comes. And if anyone needs more advice the car seat board on here has some really knowledgeable posters.

ValancyJane Wed 21-Oct-15 07:53:11

Junosmum Thanks, that's helpful!

CarShare Wed 21-Oct-15 14:27:32

MrsPCR- thanks for the info about the cabriofix and other older models not being safety reg compliant in a few years. I think we'll consider the pebble plus instead so it lasts for more than one baby (hopefully!)

KatharinaRosalie Wed 21-Oct-15 15:44:43

Average 2-year old old is not 105 cm, according to WHO growth charts, more like 88.

welsh it is always safer to rear-face, so as long as possible. In Scandinavia, the official recommentation is at least until they are 4-5.

TeamBacon Wed 21-Oct-15 15:48:58

I didn't think the cabriofix fitted the new base, happy to be corrected though.

We have had both, and imo the Pebble is a slightly better seat. It seems to lie flatter than the cabriofix too.

The pearl is great too. Very easy to adjust the headrest, no fiddling with straps etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now