Talk

Advanced search

arm falling asleep

(4 Posts)
24hourM0MMY Sun 18-Oct-15 15:51:13

Hi all, 36 weeks here, and for the past couple if weeks my arm has been falling asleep at night without reason. Also the shoulder on the same side aches constantly, again without real reason ie I'm not sleeping on it and haven't been doing anything strenuous with it.

Anyone else have this happen? Especially the arm falling asleep. Thought I'd get some insights here before I call the doc.

Miffyonline Sun 18-Oct-15 16:38:22

Try googling carpal tunnel. Could that be it? I had this is my previous pregnancy . My arm and hand kept falling asleep...

madsaz76 Sun 18-Oct-15 16:56:02

lots of nerve entrapment syndromes which are irritated by pregnancy due to weight gain, clumsy positioning due to changes shape and fluid retention.

It is likely to be part of the arm that is numb - the nerves that supply your arm cover different patches. Working out the distribution may give some clue to what bit of your anatomy is affected.

I am getting cubital tunnel syndrome - so my ulnar nerve is compressed at the elbow and I get pain and numbness in the little and fourth finger - the opposite side to carpal tunnel

the most likely cause if hand and upper arm are affected is thoracic outlet syndrome. I am not sure there's a lot that can be done about it (other than watch your posture and wait for baby to come out, they certainly wont be likel to scan etc unless suspicious of true nerve entrapment at spinal level) - generally pregnancy related entrapments go away after pregnancy. However it culd easily prevent you from remaining as independant as you'd like in later pregnancy or impact on labour - so I would discuss with GP or physio. Sometimes exercises and stretches can help.

www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/basics/symptoms/con-20040509

24hourM0MMY Sun 18-Oct-15 17:55:06

Thanks for the posts! I did think possibly carpel tunnel, I will ask the doctor. I'm only 3 weeks from a planned c-section, but I don't want it to get bad in the meantime

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now