Talk

Advanced search

The best things you bought for baby?

(55 Posts)
milkyman Sat 17-Oct-15 12:03:29

I will be a 2nd time mum next spring. Made lots of mistakes with buying stuff - pram is great but came to loathe the mosesbasket... thinking of a snuzpod, baby born chair, a co sleeper crib - any ideas? Also, are perfect prep machones worth getting and a gro swaddle?

rageagainsttheBIL Sat 17-Oct-15 12:57:42

Baby Bjorn chair is expensive but brilliant. We borrowed one last time and will be buying this time.

Didn't like the gro swaddle. Preferred using giant muslins.

Good stretchy slings especially if you have a toddler.

iklboo Sat 17-Oct-15 13:02:45

Wind up baby swing (rather than battery one). Absolute godsend.

Uptownfuckuup Sat 17-Oct-15 13:06:59

some of my bests are
sleepy head
perfect prep (for bottle feeding)
muslins
infant to toddler rocker

stoppingbywoods Sat 17-Oct-15 14:10:01

What merits the baby bjorn price tag? There are bouncers on my local facebook selling site for £5...what on earth does the bb. do?

stoppingbywoods Sat 17-Oct-15 14:12:57

I'm similarly mystified about the sleepy head. Would honestly love to understand this! Presumably a sleepy head isn't appropriate to leave baby in unsupervised or for naps, so how does it trump a soft, rolled up blanket?

TheOriginalWinkly Sat 17-Oct-15 14:15:53

Best thing I bought was a good sling (ergo, though I used a stretchy wrap for the first while). Absolutely invaluable. I hired a bed side cot too and that was excellent.

KatharinaRosalie Sat 17-Oct-15 14:36:20

yes sure you can leave baby to sleep in sleepyhead. they are wedged in there so can't roll face against side, and sides are not soft like blanket. DD loves hers.

I found a stretchy sling (moby) invaluable this time, allowed me to run after DC1.

crystalgall Sat 17-Oct-15 14:45:40

I know baby bjorn is a ridiculous price but honestly it is amazing.
DS used to do all his naps in one. The way he was positioned on it was really
Comfortable.

Also they can actually bounce themselves in it from about 2 months! So they learn that if they kick their legs against it it will bounce. DS spent hours (exaggeration perhaps!) in his having the time of his life!

squidzin Sat 17-Oct-15 14:59:37

My top godsends included a caboo carrier sling. Bliss for calming your baby, reducing crying, and bonding.

I got the sleepyhead duluxe which I was a rather expensive £99 but worth every penny. I had him down for naps and sleeping in it. What you do is wrap a blanket around the entire pod, securely tucked underneath both sides, with baby's head obviously free at one end. It's like a big cocoon.

Also, once ds was older crawling about and wrecking stuff, I purchased a Babydan "cage" (playpen) but never used it as a tiny playpen, I had it opened out to corner out an area of the room. Godsend!.

Never got a jumperoo or swing or anything. Didn't need one.

kitkatsfordinner Sat 17-Oct-15 15:01:55

Chiming in with others, I am also mystified by baby bjorn and sleepyhead. They are so expensive for what they are! I don't think anything will convince me on babybjorn but Would love chat on sleepyhead. I do know my second daughter use to love to sleep on a pillow, then would wake when I transferred her. I'm guessing it would solve this problem, but £100 for a sheet and a rolled up piece of cardboard.... Just seems so crazy! Any feedback much appreciated, I have heard lots of people sing its praise...

OffMyAyersRocker Sat 17-Oct-15 15:11:56

I have a sleepyhead for dd2 and she sleeps brilliantly in it (roughly 12 hours, waking up for feeds of course! ). I had a moses basket for dd1 who hated it. When she woke for feeds it was a nightmare to get her to go back in.

However, l think dd2 is just a better sleeper so maybe it's not the sleepyhead. I won't know l guess but very happy with it as we sleep together in my bed and l feel comfortable knowing she's safe on there.

stoppingbywoods Sat 17-Oct-15 15:13:33

I think the problem with spending a lot of money on something is not knowing how things would have gone if you hadn't bought it. My baby loved his pram for naps (free) but would probably also have loved the sleepy head. However if I'd invested that amount of money in the sleepy head and was using it, I would certainly want to believe that it was making some kind of magical difference to my life. Not saying that's always the case, though.

KatharinaRosalie Sat 17-Oct-15 15:15:56

sleepyhead is fully washable so you can also buy it second hand.

DS practically lived in his Jumparoo

CerseiLannistersEyebrow Sat 17-Oct-15 15:16:12

Sleepyhead is my sanity saver. The reason it is different than blankets is that the fabric is breathable- they won't suffocate with their faces against it, which they can with blankets. It's portable too, so you can bring it to other rooms, holidays etc.

Tommee Tippee perfect prep machine too if you bottle-fed. It's like a coffee machine for babies!

squidzin Sat 17-Oct-15 15:19:19

When ds outgrew his small sleepyhead we got the bigger size!

He sleeps so well in it. True though, he may just be a good sleeper anyway. But it has me convinced. Will definately use it for our next baby.

PosterEh Sat 17-Oct-15 15:29:07

Don't know what makes the baby bjorn bouncer good but it is. Mine was £15 from a nearly new sale so not expensive. Ds would only sleep on me and in it so it was worth its weight in gold as somewhere to put him down. I think it must be really comfortable and it sort of jiggles itself when they move so settles them.

RooibosTeaAgain Sat 17-Oct-15 16:30:50

Best things from dc1 were:
baby born bouncer
Tripp trap high chair - still using as toddler happily
Terry nappies for Muslins ( reflux baby)
Cartons of formula until milk came in, especially for middle of the night

Hufflepuffin Sat 17-Oct-15 16:34:25

We used the snuzpod and loved it! Didn't make DD a good sleeper though !

Buttwing Sat 17-Oct-15 16:46:10

Tuppence and crumble star blankets are good use them instead of coats and they are very sweet. I didn't discover them til dc4. Also maxicosi do a sleeping bag for their car seats (the newborn one), that was brilliant no coats so really safe and you can unzip it when you get indoors without waking the baby.

Therewasanoldladywho Sat 17-Oct-15 16:58:47

We bought a sleepyhead when ds was born a month early and was a little dot in his bedside crib. Helped massively.

Hauck sit n relax highchair. Took all his naps in the bouncer part, now used as a highchair. Money well spent imo.

ACatCalledFang Sat 17-Oct-15 17:36:07

We have a Snuzpod and love it. I had a C-section and it was a godsend in the first couple of weeks and makes night feeds much easier. You can also move it around the house - we often move the actual crib into the living room, leaving the stand fastened to the bed.

Most useful things for us so far (DS is almost seven weeks): baby sleeping bags, more vests, sleepsuits, bibs and muslins than I'd have ever thought possible, and a bouncer (ours is Fisher Price and has a vibrate function and music which DS likes). We were also given a Tuppence and Crumble star blanket, they are lovely!

Feeding-wise: I planned to exclusively breastfeed but had supply issues at first. Next time, we'll get some of the ready-to-feed newborn bottles in advance.

manateeandcake Sat 17-Oct-15 19:08:01

I second the Caboo carrier - absolutely brilliant and easy to get the hang of.

A simple baby gym they can lie on with a few toys to bat/grab is really useful too.

urterriblemuriel Sat 17-Oct-15 21:37:08

Angelcare bath seat - totally amazing and especially good for bathing two at once. You can put them in it for their very first bath and the bit they lie on isn't hard like those teddy bear plastic formed seats. I also used it as a spare upstairs seat instead of a bouncer/chair thing. Have leant it to friends who also agree. John Lewis should still stock it I think.

Cgow Sat 17-Oct-15 21:38:00

4moms momaroo was my best buy it was expensive but so worth it I'm just gutted I found it when my lil one was 8 weeks old!
Also pabobo night light & Ewan sheep for night time. Those are my top 3 buys would recommend each so highly x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now