Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

anyone been induced due to reduced movements? :)

(22 Posts)
pretay1 Fri 16-Oct-15 18:07:21

anyone been induced due to reduced movements
hi everyone! im 37 weeks on monday, ive had 5 total episodes of reduced movements and 4 in the 3rd trimester since 31/32 weeks, i have a consultant appointment on tuesday so ill be 37 weeks 1 day. im not sure what to expect? ive heard different stories some i know have been induced some have had regular monitoring, im just not sure what to say to him i get so nervous with these reduced movements i feel my little man is safer out than in! please help with advice

NewMrsX Fri 16-Oct-15 18:12:44

I have no advice but I'm curious about this too. I'm in a very similar situation, 37 weeks tomorrow and had 4 episodes of reduced movement, 3 in the 3rd trimester. I've got a consultant appointment on the 27th when I'll be 38+3. My growth scan has shown baby's head growth has started to slow a little too so I'm wondering about imduction.

Will be interested to hear how your appointment goes. Good luck flowers

pretay1 Fri 16-Oct-15 18:19:16

i shall let you know how mine goes ! x

UnfortunateUsername Fri 16-Oct-15 18:33:17

I mentioned reduced movement at my 40 week appointment with my last baby. That plus the fact that bump growth had pretty much stalled meant I was sent for immediate monitoring. They weren't happy at all with the fetal heart rate so I ended up being induced. I don't know if the procedure would have been different had I not been at term already though.

hearthattack Fri 16-Oct-15 18:40:53

I'm being induced tomorrow because of reduced movements. I've had four episodes in total over my entire pregnancy and was being monitored twice weekly for the last two weeks. My due date is tomorrow and they told me today that they wanted to induce me. I was a bit taken aback to be honest. I got the impression it was kind of down to the consultant that happened to be on the ward that day, as other consultants I've seen didn't seem so bothered. I'd be interested to know how things pan out for the rest of you.

pretay1 Fri 16-Oct-15 18:47:18

oh wow! good luck !!! i reckon itll pan out the way yours did as in getting monitored for a few weeks, my growth scans and monitor checks all come up fine its just reduced movements keep happening ! x

hearthattack Fri 16-Oct-15 18:55:48

That's exactly what happened to me. Everything looks fine, but I think they're being cautious. I'm not over the moon about it tbh, but to refuse would be a risk I'm not prepared to take.

I always felt a bit sill reporting reduced movements. Whenever I got hooked up to the CCG movements were evident. Part of me wonders if I worried too much and this is my punishment (silly thing to think I know) but the advice is to always report any changes in movements and I don't think I could have done anything differently.

I did get a couple of sweeps before today. That might start things off for you if you're not super keen to be induced. I had to ask for them though, they were happy to just let me go to term and then hit me with the drugs. So do ask if that's something you'd like to try.

pretay1 Fri 16-Oct-15 19:02:11

oh wow how many weeks were you when you saw the consultant? i feel exactly the same i feel silly keep going up the unit reporting the reduced movements as it shows up fine on the CCG and it makes me feel like i over reacted! im defs going to push on them doing at least something about it ! hope it all runs smoothly for you

mummyneedinganswers Fri 16-Oct-15 19:02:47

I'm 33 weeks and had my 5th episode of reduced movements and bow can't feel my baby move at all due to far too much amniotic fluid. The drs were going to induce me and deliver her at 32 weeks due to the risk she is under. I have managed to convince them to let me go to 36 weeks which by then she will be mature enough as I've already had steroids to help her lungs. I'm being monitored 3/4 times a week until then as they have to be careful as I no longer know how she is when I can't feel it x

StylishDuck Fri 16-Oct-15 20:40:35

I was induced at 39+5 with reduced movement. Even though by the time I'd phoned up and gone in to get hooked up to the monitor baby was fine. I think because I was so close to due date they decided just to go with it and told me to come back in 12 hours for an induction. DD was born on her due date.

NewMrsX Fri 16-Oct-15 20:59:20

This is interesting hearing about different experiences. Like a pp I don't want to be induced but will if it's for the best for the baby. My baby has a habit of showing me up by kicking like mad once on the monitor too. I always feel ridiculous about going in but I'm not prepared to risk it.

ALR123 Fri 16-Oct-15 21:04:23

Just our of curiosity, what can reduced movements be caused by? I know it must be something if they look to induce you. I'm 27 weeks and have been monitored this week because of reduced movements. They weren't happy and sent me for a scan but all was okay. I have a feeling this may happen again so I just wondered what it is they think causes it as they didn't give me a reason for it? Good luck in all of your pregnancies and labours x

NewMrsX Fri 16-Oct-15 21:14:21

The impression I get is thar they just don't know a lot if the time ALR

I know it can be down to placental function/baby in distress/ moved position but none have these have been the case for me, he just seems to have quieter days. Although I am possibly a little bit over cautious as I have low papp-a which I was told may affect placental function in the third trimester so that's been playing on my mind.

hearthattack Fri 16-Oct-15 21:46:39

Just been for our 'last supper' out before induction tomorrow! shock grin confused

pretay I first saw a consultant when I'd had three episodes I think. They weren't too bothered though. I think once you've reported reduced movement three times you kind of get put on this pathway towards more intervention and a lot of what happens (scans et) are just process, even if by all accounts things seem fine.

No one has told me what reduced movements might be put down to. It could be that the placenta means it's harder to feel things when baby is in a certain position, that for some reason baby isn't getting enough energy or oxygen from the placenta and is keeping quiet to concerve what little he/she has... I don't know. One midwife told me that some women just feel their babies more than others, and a few women feel very little at all.

A registrar I saw last week suggested induction and then when I said I wasn't keen commented that he didn't blame me, and that a few years ago no one paid attention to reduced foetal movement but these days everyone's so afraid of litergation they'll intervene for anything. Because with movements they've got nothing to go on but your experience, they act partly out of self protection. He was quite cynical (then again so am I, truth be told!), but I wonder if he had a point.

It doesn't mean we can igmore our concerns though. Rcok:Hard place!

pretay1 Fri 16-Oct-15 21:57:31

thanks for all the advice everyone i will update on what my consultant says!

Flambola Sat 17-Oct-15 02:30:55

Your registrar is a dick. I went in for reduced movements with my first and he died.

Stillbirth is more common than SIDS. 17 babies are stillborn per day.

Flambola Sat 17-Oct-15 02:33:23

It's nothing to do with litigation either, what a stupid fucking suggestion - could it not just be women fearful for the lives of their babies?

And do you know what? If I went in and consultants disregarded my concerns then too right I would fucking sue them if it ended up in my baby dying.

GBBO15 Sat 17-Oct-15 10:00:05

I was induced at 38+6 after my second episode of reduced movement, even though CTG/scan etc were all fine. It's a difficult time as its really easy to start doubting yourself, but you just can't take any chances with reduced fetal movement. I also really wanted to avoid an induction but went with the advice and LO safely delivered in the end, induction wasn't too bad.

sandy30 Sat 17-Oct-15 21:02:51

Hi, I was induced after 3rd episode of reduced movement at 37+6. Hospital took it very seriously - I wasn't even allowed home to finish packing my bag. (I know, I know, it should have been packed.) Was induced at 11am the day after the 3rd episode and gave birth at 7pm on the day of induction. No idea what caused the reduced movement. My son's Apgar was 9/10, so he was fine. I was anxious throughput the pregnancy (2 previous early losses) so, while a shock, I was relieved to get my son out safe.

pretay1 Sat 17-Oct-15 21:12:54

wow its crazy seeing all the different stories about how different areas/hospital take to reduced movements! im very anxious as to what will happen

Newlywed56 Sat 17-Oct-15 21:43:24

Yep I had a couple before 35 w , was then having weekly scans but told to come in anytime between that if reduced movements again. They managed to get me to 39 w and then induced. Try to remember it's your baby and you have to do the best you can for it so if ever in doubt please do go get checked out the doctors and midwifed would rather see you than not smile

pretay1 Tue 20-Oct-15 17:28:11

hi everyone! just an update , im getting induced at 39 weeks, with growth scan and check ups every 2/3 days to check the movements ! thanks for all your help smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now