Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Some confusing stuff going on

(18 Posts)
Casey81 Fri 16-Oct-15 07:19:00

Hi All,

I'm new here & I'm hoping you can help, i'll try and give you as much information as possible.
I had my last 'normal' period on the 17th September which lasted the usual 5days. According to my cycle app i was fertile between 21st-25th September. During that time i did have unprotected sex with my partner though he didn't 'finish'..well you know.. inside... the following week 29th onwards, i was getting some strange cramps a bit of spotting (tiny amount) my body temp was really high, i was nauseous & the taste in my mouth was different.

On the 8th October i started spotting (6days before my projected period start date) it was quite light at first but then became brown & liquidy, so much i needed a liner, my usual spotting is usually thicker, this was more fluid- i had no PMT symptoms, my body temp had dropped it was all out of the blue. From the 8th until now (16th) I have had a mix of brown light spotting and bleeding also with cramping - this has been going on for 9days now.

I went to the doctors on Wednesday and spoke this through with them. They said i could be pregnant but its too early to test, they said it could also be an infection (smear test is all up to date and good) so they sent me for some tests, while with the nurse i went through all my symptoms with her & again she said its too early to test & i need to wait longer(?) I thought if my projected start date was the 14th October how can it be too soon to test? The doctor advised i can do a home test over the weekend and another in two weeks?

I'd like to put this out there & get some thoughts and advise from you ladies on what could be going on here....Thank you in advance!!

sepa Fri 16-Oct-15 07:53:21

I got a faint positive 2 days after my missed period. I would say do the test and if you get a negative try again in a weeks time just to make sure.
I hope you get the outcome you want

Casey81 Fri 16-Oct-15 15:42:49

thanks sepa for your reply. i'll get a test and do one in the morning. I was surprised the doctors said it was too soon as theres a lot of tests out there you can do days before a missed period!

sepa Fri 16-Oct-15 16:33:42

I think why they are saying it may be too early is because if it's negative it's more likely to be wrong than if you got a positive.
My one 2 days after was so faint you could barely see it and I am now 1 week more pregnant than I thought from the initial calculations so it could be for some that the hormone won't be as strong in someone else. I suppose the longer you wait the less likely of a wasted test if it's wrong. I would deffo do one now though just to see if it's positive or not

Casey81 Sat 17-Oct-15 07:39:37

So i did a home test this morning using first wee of the day and had a negative result, i think that rules out pregnancy as i'm day 30 of my cycle and it would show up right? I used a first response test too.

I had spotting yesterday morning a long with some lower back pain & since then i've had no spotting or any usual discharge.

sepa Sat 17-Oct-15 23:33:40

Is that just 2 days past when your period would be due? I only had a very faint positive 2 days later. I would still take a test in a weeks time. If no period and no positive in a week I would go back to your dr and ask for some tests (not really sure what tests they would do)
It could be that you have had a chemical pregnancy

Casey81 Sun 18-Oct-15 07:52:33

I'm now 4 days late according to the app i use, though going off the cycle days i'm now day 31 into my cycle. I did another test this morning & i think i'm going mad and looking for things that aren't there. it looked like there was a VERY faint line, almost grey line really, it didn't go all the way down, in the pic its more around the top & the middle.
The second pic is probably better but doesn't show the line very well as looking at it here (maybe thats a sign i'm going mad, it feels like one of those optical illusions)

bluewisteria Sun 18-Oct-15 07:55:22

I would try again tomorrow morning with a first response.
I find clear blue really difficult, had loads of confusing tests with them over the years.

Casey81 Sun 18-Oct-15 08:06:58

thanks blue wisteria, i did a test with a first response y'day morning which came back defo negative - i only bought the one & a clear blue to try two different brands. I'll go out today & get a two test pack of first response & try again tomorrow if the clear blue ones can be a bit funky

bittapitta Sun 18-Oct-15 08:11:39

Sounds like my experience of a chemical pregnancy, sorry. They probably told you to wait to test so you don't get false optimism (also health care professionals seem to assume women don't know their cycles!)

Good that your GP listened and is helping you get tests etc.

Casey81 Sun 18-Oct-15 08:31:35

oh wow sad sorry to hear that!
The tests the GP sent me for was a swab for infection, i just assumed i would get a pg test too while i was there but the nurse didn't do it. Is there a way to test for chemical pregnancy? i guess hormone levels would drop so it kind of goes unnoticed?

sepa Sun 18-Oct-15 09:15:33

I believe it usually does go unnoticed but could be wrong never having one. I think that most people miscarry before you would even consider doing a test so then it wouldn't show on a text. Maybe wait a few more days to test. You don't want to just keep buying them the. Just redoing them anyway.

I couldn't see the line in the photo but I do use my phone for MN so wouldn't be as clear to me.

Casey81 Sun 18-Oct-15 10:25:15

thanks sepa, if you're not able to see it then maybe i am imagining it. i'm feeling a bit nervous about all this now something down there is not right either way :-/ and i'm keen to get to the bottom of it.
i don't want to become a serial tester so i'll try my hardest and wait another couple days, plus i should get the results of the swab test tomorrow so that could hold all the answers!

mummyofmany5 Sun 18-Oct-15 12:00:37

I can see the faint line on my phone so you're not imagining the extra line. I'm on baby number 5 and pregnancy number 7, I've had lots of times where the line exists but almost not there for my period to be a week or so late. I have a 35 day cycle so it is hard to keep track of. I'd sit tight for a week and if your period hasn't arrived, do another test. If your period hasn't arrived, I'd expect that line to be stronger. If not, I'd go to your doctors and tell them you're 2 weeks late but not pregnant and then they'll do tests.
I know the test companies claim it can tell you early but you've got to remember that every woman's hormone levels are different strengths and this can alter the result of an early test. On the 2 times I tested early, I had a miscarriage. If I hadn't tested early, it would have been classed as a late period and been none the wiser. So its not always an advantage to know early.......

Casey81 Sun 18-Oct-15 13:57:49

thanks mummyofmany, i feel slightly better that i'm not going completely mad with that, appreciate your opinion & thanks for sharing your experience with testing too early, sorry to hear about your miscarriages sad
i will try my hardest to wait another week before testing again!

Lucy61 Sun 18-Oct-15 21:53:33

I can see the lines. Get a first response. Blue dye tests aren't great.

Casey81 Sat 24-Oct-15 08:59:11

hi there ladies, just a quick update. So i couldn't resist the urge to test in the week with a first response and it came back negative. I'm day 37 of my cycle so i think pg is defiantly out of the window as it should show by now!!??
I had my results back from the drs on the swab test - theres no 'natural' infection i.e. - thrush etc but thats all they tested for (i thought they were testing for much more)
what do you ladies think, time for a sexual health checkup? :-/

acatcalledjohn Sat 24-Oct-15 11:18:34

Sometimes your body just gets out of sync for no clear reason. I at one point was 2 weeks late with several negatives, and by that point on the phone to GP who equally suspected potentially ectopic pregnancy.

Period started about an hour after that call hmm. That cycle was 42 days in the end, and was promptly followed by an 18 day cycle before falling back in to its normal pattern of 26-29 days.

A full sexual health check up seems over the top at this stage, IMO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now