Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

40 weeks today - now what??

(22 Posts)
Doublebubblebubble Sun 04-Oct-15 21:31:12

I am currently 40 weeks with my ds1 and, well, I'm feeling a little bit sorry for myself and really frustrated --awaiting the punches from the ladies who are 40+11 and thinking "just you wait--

My DD was born at 39+6 (4.5 hour labour) and my twin boys who were stillborn sadly were born at 24+6 (just under 6hour labour) so I've never been overdue I never thought i would be and well I don't really know what to expect... I thought id be done by now lol

So far I've tried all of the usuals... Long walks, spicy food, raspberry leaf tea, scary movies (with jump scares), walking up and down the stairs, pineapple by the tonne, trying to dtd trying is the operative word there and nothing. I had a bit of a show about a week ago but that's all finished (probably regenerated into an even thicker adamantium one now!)

I have an app with my midwife on the 6th and well I'm not sure what it is that she can do... I genuinely have no idea. Would I have a stretch and sweep done with her or would she send me to the hospital for it?

Would they attempt to break my waters or would they just leave me for as long as possible (I can go the full 2 weeks where I am)

When do they start to talk about induction??

Also, I just have to ask - is being induced as bad as some say it is?? (I was induced with my twins but I'm not sure I it would be the same type of procedure for a (how do I word this) healthy labour? For them I had a suppository vaginally and a shit tonne of drugs for pain relief

Any other suggestions to help me get this little boy out!!

twobambinos Sun 04-Oct-15 21:35:46

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your twins. I was going overdue on my first and even more over due on my second. I have was books in for induction but thankfully didn't need it. It may not come to that for you either so don't panic about it just yet. Hopefully it all goes well and hopefully it all happens soon

Doublebubblebubble Sun 04-Oct-15 21:35:56

Also I'm laying here (trying to think logically although this will probably be a hindrance more than anything) in the speculum position you know the one my heels are as close to my bum-bum as they possibly could be...

Oh and my son is head down and not engaged.

Comingroundthemountain Sun 04-Oct-15 22:02:54

my son was two weeks late - I went into labour naturally about an hour before he was due to be induced. I had two sweeps - one the day after my due date, and one a week after that - the second one I was 3-4cm dilated (had been having lots of twinges, not contractions as such) and midwife said it would be here the next day. Ha - he came a week after that.
What happened - I got grumpier and grumpier, could hardly walk, shouted at dh, was a crap mum to dd, emailed all my friends who had been overdue previously and apologised for not being sympathetic enough. Beyond that can't remember...

CityDweller Mon 05-Oct-15 15:51:44

What happens? You wait and go slowly more insane I went two weeks past due date with DD and that last week was tough. They'll offer you an induction at some point, although it's up to you if you accept it. Mw should offer you a sweep next time you see her, again up to you if you want it.

I eventually went into labour naturally. Who knows what, if anything, helped. I did it all - 3 sweeps, loads of walking, swimming, evening primrose oil, acupuncture, lots of sex, nipple tweaking. Fun times. Not.

I'm currently 39+5 with DC2 and have a 'here we go again' feeling that I'll go over dates again. cakebrew for us...

Doublebubblebubble Mon 05-Oct-15 16:29:15

Indeed city, indeed - brew clink i'm still pregnant boo again nothing interesting has happened. Whipped the breast pump out and got a'pumping - did nothing. I'm clutching at straws but I think I read a thread today about ankle massages doing something so I'm sat trying to get deep into my ridiculously swollen feet and ankles... Just come out will you please!!!!

at my app tomorrow though is there a possibility that I would have a sweep at the surgery? I'm just worried (and secretly hoping) that she'll do the sweep and my waters will break in the waiting room and I will have to rush to the hospital... I've not been thinking about this much at all

CityDweller Mon 05-Oct-15 18:47:40

My mw does the sweeps anywhere. Well, not anywhere, obviously. But, as in, at the children's centre where I have my regular check-ups. They also came to my house last time to do one (I was booked in for a homebirth and they were round the corner). I also had one at the hospital when I went in for my post-dates scan.

If you want one tomorrow and she doesn't offer it, just ask. They only take a minute or two.

I wouldn't worry about the not being engaged thing, by the way. It's 'normal' in 2nd and subsequent pregnancies for the baby not to engage until you go into labour. Equally, baby being engaged doesn't mean anything. DD was engaged from about 36/7 weeks. DC2 has also been engaged since about 37/8 weeks. I clearly have a very comfy pelvis.

dotladotla Tue 06-Oct-15 20:54:14

Any birth news?
I'm 40 weeks tomorrow and I'm so impatient already!

CityDweller Tue 06-Oct-15 21:20:24

Nothing here. I'm 40 weeks tomorrow too dot

dotladotla Tue 06-Oct-15 21:58:26

I really hope both babies come soon then! My mum has predicted Friday and she predicted my sisters date right so I'm hoping for the same????
Now I know how right that ecard joke is that says the last month of labour has a million days... So true!

Doublebubblebubble Wed 07-Oct-15 11:19:22

Still nothing for me (40+3) had an "attempted" sweep yesterday. Couldn't be done. My uterus is impenetrable and he is too comfy in there. I've sent dh out for all of the spicy things possible. Utterly utterly fed up!

CityDweller Wed 07-Oct-15 13:43:14

Sympathies Double - still waiting here too, although I'm trying to mentally 'reschedule' my due date to 40 + 7 at earliest, given how late DD was.

Have you tried, ahem, getting it out the way it got in? I'm pretty sure that's the only thing, of the many many things I tried with DD, that actually made any difference...

dotladotla Wed 07-Oct-15 16:07:00

I feel for you doublebubblebubble - that's me on my due date and feeling very disheartened so can't imagine how bad I'll feel with every day passing now. I decided today that I needed to take my mind off it so I have got beef in the slow cooker, made two types of soup, brownies and I'm about to make a sponge! Anything to distract me and if I do go into labour the midwives will love me!

CityDweller Wed 07-Oct-15 16:22:17

dot that's exactly what I did as I went increasingly overdue with DD - I was a cooking and baking whirlwind! It was the only thing that took my mind off things.

dotladotla Thu 08-Oct-15 11:05:13

The only problem is that there's now a pile of baking to eat????

dotladotla Thu 08-Oct-15 11:06:16

That was meant to have emoticons on the end, not question marks. Oops!

ShowOfHands Thu 08-Oct-15 11:09:51

Aww, you're going to have a baby soon (maybe already had one).

There's nothing you can do to induce labour. It's all bollocks. Sex, pineapple, curry etc. None of it works at all. Raspberry leaf, interestingly, has never been recommended to try and start labour. It's a uterine tonic which you take to try and make your second stage more efficient. Somehow, recently, it's been lumped in with all of the other myths.

Sit, eat cake, watch dvds, eat chocolate, swear.

Do what you like and what makes you happy.

I know it's crap at the end but it won't be long now.

CityDweller Thu 08-Oct-15 11:26:05

Freeze the baked goods dot. You'll be glad of them once baby arrives!

Scattymum101 Thu 08-Oct-15 11:33:44

Sorry you're so uncomfy and fed up.

I never went majorly over with dd1 (40+2 labour started and she was here two days later) and dd2 came on 39+6 but the day before I went into labour with both I did fast rotations on my birthing ball for hours and was in labour within 24 hours. It's probably coincidence but I swore by it with dd1 and couldn't believe it when it happened with dd2.
I also had reflexology to stimulate uterus two days before labour started with dd2 and got hubby to do the same pressure points the following night.

It probably was just coincidence but worth a try x

dotladotla Thu 08-Oct-15 21:30:26

Most of the baking has now been eaten..oops! I'll do more tomorrow.
Still no signs really except from a little tightening but I'll get on my birthing ball tomorrow.
I'm hoping for this week!

CityDweller Fri 09-Oct-15 11:34:55

Fingers crossed dot!
I had a sweep yesterday, but no signs of anything since then... I'm not expecting anything before next week, and I'm ok with that.

dotladotla Fri 09-Oct-15 16:09:30

I'm booked in for a sweep on Tuesday if nothing's happened by then - I'll be 40+6 at that point and it's putting my husbands paternity leave with his work in a bit of a pickle so I hope it's out by then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now