Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

please help!!

(25 Posts)
channingswife Mon 28-Sep-15 11:26:02

I have crippling nausea, all day, all night. Moving an inch makes me feel worse.
I have 2 DC 2.5 and 1. DH is in the army and is currently away for a while. Don't know how I'm going to cope with this nausea. I have no one I can ask for help, family all 300+ miles away and no reliable friends.
I keep crying because of how miserable I feel.

Anyone got any tips on how the beat the nausea? I feel like I'm letting the DC down because I just can't do anything with them. I'm only 9 weeks pregnant!

nightandthelight Mon 28-Sep-15 11:32:39

Bless you that sounds awful! You need to see your GP ASAP for some anti sickness medication.

channingswife Mon 28-Sep-15 11:33:56

Will anti sickness meds help with the nausea? I'm willing to try anything!!

nightandthelight Mon 28-Sep-15 11:36:37

I don't know specifics but I do think you need to see your GP and they will go over the options with you. Can you get an emergency appt today?

MazyCrummy Mon 28-Sep-15 11:38:38

Yes, they really will! I'm pregnant with my 5th and had never had anything other than mildly uncomfortable morning sickness. This time around, the nausea was so bad I didn't want to even move. A lovely, and very sympathetic, GP prescribed Cyclazine, and the relief was instant. I felt noticeably better by the time I got home from the chemist, having taken it immediately, and took the maximum dose regularly until 16ish weeks

channingswife Mon 28-Sep-15 11:39:44

Just rang my GP surgery today and they have no appointments or telephone consultations left today. They took my name and number and will ring me if there's a cancellation.

Looks like I'll just have to try and manage today and ring first thing tomorrow!!

channingswife Mon 28-Sep-15 11:41:36

Mazy, that sounds amazing! I'll google that and go in tomorrow and ask.

I can't function, I was the same with dc2 and had to be admitted to hospital in the end I was so dehydrated.

It's just doubly hard when DH is away, I could contact welfare if it gets too much and they could try to arrange for him to come home but I don't want to do that unless I HAVE to!

nightandthelight Mon 28-Sep-15 11:45:35

It must be very tough channing with your DH away! Could welfare secure you an earlier appt (apologies if it doesn't work like that, I know nothing about the forces!)? Sounds as though there is a good option though in the cyclazine smile

channingswife Mon 28-Sep-15 11:47:46

Sadly they can't sort out an earlier appointment, whilst DH is covered the army medical centre, we're not and you know what NHS gp surgeries are like on a Monday morning!

I'll try and get to the shop later and get some rich tea biscuits. They sometimes help.

Just feel so miserable!!! Even moving my head about it making it worse and now need to go get the DCs lunch ready!

MazyCrummy Mon 28-Sep-15 16:34:28

Hope you are surviving the afternoon channing and good luck for an appointment tomorrow flowers

channingswife Mon 28-Sep-15 17:15:38

It's been rough mazy, thank you though.

Poor DH is getting lots of depressing messages from me but is being amazing and I know he doesn't want to be away right now.

I'll be ringing up at 8am for an appointment!! Can't go on like this. Counting down till bed time

RooibosTeaAgain Mon 28-Sep-15 20:00:51

If you fail to get an appointment tomorrow can you contact your midwife or out of hours or walk in centre.

Bells2307 Tue 29-Sep-15 05:06:33

I'm on cyclizine too, has really made a difference. Mine was prescribed by the EPU at the hospital, you could always give them a ring?, I went in due to cramping and mentioned the sickness, they saw me that day and gave me the prescription. It's been a massive relief for the sickness. Good luck Hun x

channingswife Tue 29-Sep-15 08:20:33

I've managed to get an appointment for this afternoon, unfortunately it's with a dr I don't really like but they were the only one available. If I don't get much help from them I'll ring the midwife and see what she can do.

Already really struggling today... Although the DC waking at 0545 doesn't help (they normally wake at 7!!)

nightandthelight Tue 29-Sep-15 08:32:12

Glad to hear you have an appt channing, if you don't get anywhere definitely ring your mw!

channingswife Tue 29-Sep-15 15:56:21

Been to dr and he wouldn't prescribe me anything because I'm not actually being sick, "just got nausea". He said go back when I'm so sick I need to be hospitalised!

CarrieLouise25 Tue 29-Sep-15 16:09:05

Sorry to hear you're suffering flowers

Please contact your midwife. Your doctor sounds like mine, what an arse angry

Nausea is just as debilitating as actually being sick, the only difference is, people don't take it as seriously sad

Maybe you can do what Bells did and get it from the EPU at the hospital?

Good luck, hope you get the help you need, and wish there was more sympathy for nausea; it's evil.

channingswife Tue 29-Sep-15 16:13:40

Thanks Carrie.

I'll ring the midwife tomorrow, can't face it today now.

His point of view was that these drugs aren't tested or researched enough so far as effects on the baby.

Just doing as little as possible and sofa parenting...

CarrieLouise25 Tue 29-Sep-15 16:54:26

I did plenty of sofa parenting, don't feel guilty about it. I am just coming out the worst of the nausea (I hope) at 18 weeks now (started at 3 weeks!), and I spent the entire 6 week summer holiday indoors, so felt ridiculously guilty for just being a sick mum all the time sad

Because of the whole thalidomide scandal, no one wants to recommend anything to pregnant ladies anymore, and there's no proper testing or extensive research done, but it's to the point even paracetamol instructions say avoid during pregnancy!

Hope your midwife can fight your corner for you. The only things I found helped this time round were:

High dose of B6 (3 x 25mg per day)
Drinking lots of water
Having peppermint tea
Polos to suck
Forcing food down small amounts and regularly - never let your stomach be empty (with DC2 I hardly ate at all for 4 months - this time I forced food down and although nausea didn't go away, nausea is much much worse on an empty stomach)
Eating before you get up

But I spent most of the time on sofa/in bed, crying, feeling depressed and confused over not wanting to carry on. Feels like permanent flu symptoms. It gets lonely sad

By the time I saw my midwife, all she said was, 'if you're really really struggling, we could try cyclizine' but it wasn't in an encouraging way, and I felt I'd got so far and was hoping the nausea was going to lift soon enough (which it didn't - the 12 weeks is BS).

There's a great HG forum on here, and lots of ladies I'm sure will have great advice for you x

99percentchocolate Tue 29-Sep-15 17:17:06

I'm in exactly the same boat as you OP, feeling bloody awful. My dr prescribed me cyclizine and it seems to be keeping me at just one or two vomits a day and awful nausea, which is a huge improvement (even if it doesn't sound like it). I would go back tomorrow and see another gp and ask for cyclizine again. Go armed with print outs from pregnancy sickness support organisation pss and if they say it hasn't been tested then stand your ground and say you are aware of the risks and are happy to continue.
In the meantime, come and join us over on the May bus if you haven't already (in the antenatal clubs section of talk)
Hope you feel better soon x

channingswife Tue 29-Sep-15 19:17:50

Thanks for all your comments. It's nice to have somewhere I can vent!

I just feel so lonely too... It's one thing feeling like this when DH is here but totally different when he isn't. If I get as bad as last time again, I have no one to help me until he comes home. I'm already struggling.

No family, no friends (they all tend to disperse when husbands go away)

Oh dear... Must stop feeling so sorry for myself!!

CarrieLouise25 Tue 29-Sep-15 19:55:48

Ahh, but it's not that easy. And feeling sorry for yourself is very much allowed smile - especially as you already have your hands full with 2 young DC's.

In same boat here with no family etc, but I am lucky my DH is here, so I really do feel for you.

MN is great to vent and find others who are going through the same things. Just helps you to not feel as alone. And you can pick up tips along the way!

I'd just rest as much as you can, don't think you should or shouldn't be doing anything, and if you have to stick on the TV to entertain the DC's, definitely do it. If you can do online food shopping, that would really help.

Hard to see the end of the tunnel yet, as it goes a bit too slowly (certainly has for me, I feel like I've been pregnant for 9 months already - but not even hit half way - waaahhh).

Hope you get hold of midwife tomorrow and she helps you get a result x

fredandme123 Tue 29-Sep-15 20:01:46

Try Pancakes. I had them for breakfast every day for about 6 months was such a good start to the day and was the reason I could function! I know how you are feeling and it is horrible. Just got to get through the days - try and be active to distract you. I tried 2 diff medications (no ideas of names) and they didn't help enough to warrant taking them for me. Eat regularly, sip water and as soon as kids are in bed get to bed yourself. Hope you feel better soon.

nightandthelight Tue 29-Sep-15 20:02:56

Such a shame about the GP channing sad Hopefully you will be able to get hold of the mw tomorrow. I hated the first trimester and don't have any DC yet and DH was very much around so I can only imagine what you are going through! Nothing wrong with feeling sorry for yourself and taking it as easy as you can. Your DC won't remember in the long run smile

channingswife Tue 29-Sep-15 20:22:17

Thanks for the messages. I'm now tucked up in bed, going to read my kindle for a little bit and get an early night.

Once I get over the nausea, I love being pregnant, I really do. I just hate this bit. And because we keep it quiet before 12 weeks, only handful of people know, I can't go shouting about how awful I feel!! One day at a time is my mantra right now.

DH promising to give me lots of rest when he gets home, which I know he will because he's so good to me when he's home!

I'm resting as much as I can, not going out unless I have to, tv is on a lot and the iPad is also being used from time to time! Luckily my kids enjoy playing together/alone without much interaction from me!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now