Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Streaming cold - any useful non-pharmaceutical remedies?

(14 Posts)
CoffeeAndOranges Tue 22-Sep-15 09:43:25

Got a streaming head cold and am off work feeling very sorry for myself as I can't really take anything that will make much difference - usually I blitz a cold with Lemsip max/night nurse but I think even standard Lemsip has too big a dose of paracetamol in.

Am drinking hot lemon, honey and ginger which is nice on my throat and had olbas oil on my pillow last night - anyone got any other suggestions?

marmaladegranny Tue 22-Sep-15 09:47:36

High dose vitamin C - the massive ones that effervesce in a glass of water - does seem to limit the symptoms a bit

WhoTheFIsJeff Tue 22-Sep-15 09:49:53

It doesn't have too big a dose of paracetamol, it has 1000mg which is the equivalent of an adult dose of two tablets which is absolutely fine to take. However I don't think you can have lemsip due to the other ingredients.

Take two paracetamol and make some hot lemon and honey (tastes nicer too!).

CoffeeAndOranges Tue 22-Sep-15 09:57:15

Oh ok Jeff I don't know why I assumed it would be too much. Will need to take a walk down the road to get more lemons so hopefully the fresh air will help too.

Thanks for the vit c tip, marmalade !

Mindysgotswag Tue 22-Sep-15 10:01:05

You can take some paracetamol, coffee but if you really don't want to...try garlic, astragalus, vitamin c and Echinacea with goldenseal. All immune boosting and helps to coat the mucous membranes.

Hope you're feeling better soon?flowers

CarrotPuff Tue 22-Sep-15 10:09:01

I don't think you can take Echinacea in pregnancy.

Honey with lemon, drink lots of fluids, and sleep! Take paracetamol if you have a headache or fever. Good luck, colds suck when you're pg, I'm trying to get rid of one myself! brew

rogueantimatter Tue 22-Sep-15 10:14:20

Elderberry extract (in Sambucol which is sold in supermarkets). Wear a scarf to keep your throat warm. Keep your nose warm too if you can! Blast it with a hairdryer for a few minutes to kill the cold virus!! (I kid you not)

Drink as many steaming hot drinks as you can manage.

bulletpoint Tue 22-Sep-15 10:16:15

rub mentol on your feet and underneath and pull socks on, even better to do it at bed time. Tip garnered from MN smile

Skiptonlass Tue 22-Sep-15 10:21:45

It's not the paracetamol that's the problem with lemsip, it's the phenylephrine. Some of them have big caffeine doses too but that's not a huge issue tbh. I'd be wary of herbal preparations - some are not ok in pregnancy!

hot honey and lemon with a paracetamol, then a tea/coffee is basically lemsip without the contraindicated stuff. I add grated fresh ginger too - about a chunk the size of the end of your thumb.

If you nose is all stuffed up then a couple of menthol crystals in very hot water, lean over it with a towel over your head and breathe in the steam (does sort of blow your head off a bit but it works.) crystals can be obtained at most pharmacists.

Ultimately, there's not much you can do to shorten a cold (vitamin c and since are supposed to take about a day off the duration) you might find it knocks you harder than it would when non pregnant so really, rest and fluids!

lorelai222 Tue 22-Sep-15 10:21:51

Eat something spicy. The chilli will clear your sinuses for a bit.

Mindysgotswag Tue 22-Sep-15 10:37:05

To quote peanuthead on another thread:

Yes you can take it - it's an immunomodulator not an immunostimulant and decent trials have shown no birth defects and no negative outcomes as compared to a control.

I took it throughout my pregnancy and had absolutely no problems.

Of course, it's own personal choice and if you wish to take herbal remedies whilst pregnant, it I always advisable to check with your mw/gp first.

CoffeeAndOranges Tue 22-Sep-15 10:42:49

Thanks for all your tips, I feel really pathetic and know if I wasn't pg (31 weeks) it wouldn't be a big deal. Will have to try the tip about the menthol and socks!!

Made a vat of really hot african peanut soup (Oh She Glows website/cookbook) the other day - it's amazing and really does help clear the pipes.

I think my Lemsip thing is totally psychological - deep down I know it's better to have the lemon, honey & ginger (which I have anyway) and a paracetamol, and I know Lemsips taste rank but somehow they make me feel better.

Going to enjoy a good walliw today and not go back to work tomorrow if I'm still not feeling right. Not had a single sick day off during this pregnancy so far, so I can cut myself a bit of slack. Always good when you ring in sick and actually sound ill! grin

CoffeeAndOranges Tue 22-Sep-15 10:43:36

walliw? Wallow!

tigress23 Mon 28-Sep-15 12:42:59

I am newly pregnant (4+3) and the DH gave me his cold. I'm not impressed, as I never get them. Thanks for all the tips in this thread! I'm drinking hot water, honey and lemon now and it's helping a lot smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now