loader

Talk

Advanced search

Baby's position

(8 Posts)
Zamaz Tue 22-Sep-15 09:35:58

Hi all,
I'm new to Mumsnet, so nice to meet you all! smile
I'm currently 31 weeks pregnant with my first baby, and so far (thankfully) have had a relatively uneventful pregnancy. Judging by the shape of my bump, where I'm feeling movement and what the midwife has said, my baby is lying across (transverse; and it feels like with limbs facing outwards). It seems to have stubbornly been this way since I could first tell where it was!
I am trying to stay rational in the face of Google searches confused but am wondering about whether it might turn into the 'correct' position? The internet seems full of scare stories and would have me believe that I am doomed; my midwife, friends and family are far more relaxed and the midwife has said she wouldn't really start thinking about looking into things further until about 34 weeks.
Any thoughts / advice / ideas / experiences about this? I'd be really grateful! Also, anything I can do to encourage baby round which doesn't involve standing head first in a pool of water for hours on end?! grin
Thanks!
Zamaz xx

Ihatechoosingnames Tue 22-Sep-15 09:39:20

In my first pregnancy my son was transverse until about 35-36 weeks. There is a lot you can do to turn them - go on all 4s instead of sitting (an exercise ball is perfect for this) don't lounge on the sofa, walking lots etc. Check the spinning babies site.

I'm currently 33 weeks with my 2nd and she goes from breech to head down several times a week still (I have growth scans every week due to problems in my last pregnancy and at each one she is in a different position still!)

Every1KnowsJeffHesUsuallyACunt Tue 22-Sep-15 09:42:01

This pregnancy, my dd was transverse at 34 weeks. By the next antenatal appointment at 36 weeks, she was head down again. Mw said she wasn't concerned before 36 weeks anyway.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Tue 22-Sep-15 12:33:46

They don't check in my area until 36 weeks. They move around a lot before then. DS turned at 35 weeks, this one goes from head down to breech and back again.

GirlSailor Tue 22-Sep-15 13:05:57

I'm just a few days behind you (30.5 weeks) and a couple of days ago had a midwife appointment where they said the baby is breech, and that this isn't a concern at this point as it's likely to turn and they will check this in a few weeks. This has been the case with a few people I know who said their babies only turned upside down about a week before they went into labour.

Buttercup27 Tue 22-Sep-15 13:09:25

My dc were both transverse for the whole pregnancy. Dc1 turned naturally at 37 weeks and was born at 39 weeks (he turned the day before my midwife appointment when we're going to discuss dates for cs.)
Ds 2 turned at 38 weeks and born at 40.
Both times they tuned I have never been so poorly. Sickness and d&v. Midwife said it was because there wasn't much room for baby to turn so sto.ach was emptied!

Redhead79 Tue 22-Sep-15 16:32:36

I was told baby was transverse at my last mw appt a few weeks ago. Midwife told me I should crawl around on all fours! Baby still transverse (now 31 weeks). Have been doing the some of the excercises from the spinning baby's site though not religiously and trying not to lounge around on the sofa in the evening and sit on a Swiss ball instead (easier said than done). Fingers crossed it moves in the next few weeks.

Zamaz Thu 24-Sep-15 16:09:34

Thanks so much ladies! I really appreciate it. I saw the midwife yesterday she rolled her eyes when I said I'd been on Google... blush! Basically she's said not to worry until 34-36 weeks when they start considering the baby's position.
I have had a word with myself and am back to a more calm state! Am doing as much walking / swimming as a sedentary job and long commute allow, and sitting on a Swiss ball now and then to as a precautionary measure - if nothing else it'll do the my body some good, even if it has sod all effect on the baby! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now