Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How many sheets and what type?

(14 Posts)
acquiescence Wed 16-Sep-15 23:34:47

Trying to get prepared.... I have a Chico next 2 me for our room and a Moses basket for downstairs (and a cot for later on in the baby's room). I'm looking to get sheets for the crib and Moses basket and wondering how many to get. If the baby's nappy leaks or it is sick in there then will it soak through to the mattress, do you use extra pads for this?

Skiptonlass Thu 17-Sep-15 07:45:07

I've got four sheets and four mattress protectors. These go under the sheet to protect the mattress.

Top tip from my own mother: layer a mattress protector, then a sheet, then another mattress protector and another sheet. That way if spillage occurs at night you just whip the top two layers off and you've fresh bed underneath ;)

PennyHasNoSurname Thu 17-Sep-15 07:48:23

I had two sheets and two protectors per bed. Another tip, put a muslin square under their head so if they spit up you can take that without having to swap the sheet.

Always fitted sheets too. If you have a wriggler, flat sheets wont stay tucked in.

By DC2 I jiust used pillowcases om the moses basket mattresd.

AnyoneButAndre Thu 17-Sep-15 07:53:39

Hippy Chick mattress protectors are the dogs bollocks. Not cheap but indestructible. A muslin on top of the top sheet will help by absorbing the tiniest leaks, dribble and spit ups.

Frasras11 Thu 17-Sep-15 07:58:44

I bought my protectors and sheets from Asda. Cheap but still decent quality.

CalypsoLilt Thu 17-Sep-15 08:33:37

Love that tip skipton!!

I personally love Jersey sheets or brushed cotton smile

acquiescence Thu 17-Sep-15 11:14:56

Thank you! I was worried that mattress protectors may not be a good idea as they are plasticky and I have read they are linked to SIDS? But guessing if they are on sale they must be ok.

CalypsoLilt Thu 17-Sep-15 14:44:01

So is 4 sheets for the moses basket enough?

AnyoneButAndre Thu 17-Sep-15 16:24:17

Hippy chick ones are breathable and aren't plasticky. Four sheets for the Moses basket are enough unless a) you have a very sicky baby - you'll find out soon enough whether that's the case, and you'll then have to do an emergency run to the shops or b) you're restricted in your ability to do washing and drying. If you can only get to the laundrette once a week for example you'd definitely need more.

ALongTimeComing Thu 17-Sep-15 16:26:08

Your Moses basket sheets will fit your pram too btw.

Justmuddlingalong Thu 17-Sep-15 16:31:45

I used pillow cases instead of pram and moses basket sheets.

Tfoot75 Thu 17-Sep-15 19:59:44

We only had 2 crib sheets and 2 pram sheets. Tended to put a Muslin under head anyway, or even better a t shirt worn by daddy that day over the sheet helps to settle. Don't recall nappy leakages outside of clothes - newborns don't go long enough between changes to have nappies wet enough to leak, and poo leaks don't tend to go through multiple layers. Might just be my experience though! If your baby is a sicky one you can always buy more.

u32ng Thu 17-Sep-15 19:59:50

You'll probably get away with less than you think! 4 seems ok. You'll be doing heaps of washing anywaygrin so can always chuck whatever dirty ones in for washing.

Yes to folding and tucking in a muslin at the head end. From experience, it's SO much easier to whip off a muslin for mini sicks and dribbles, and swap it for a clean one than have to change the whole sheet. We somehow survived the first 5-6 months with 2 moses sheetshmm

Cheshirehello79 Thu 17-Sep-15 20:39:37

Skiptonlass your mums idea is fantastic never thought of that :-) thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now