Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

need to eat but can't

(10 Posts)
zannyminxoxox Fri 11-Sep-15 05:52:38

So Im lying in bed needing food of all the times, but the thought of food just makes me feel sick. I have been eating little and often either bread crisps or fruit and having a meal when I can stomach it. Even drinks are making me feel sick. Im managing fresh orange juice and water. I could only stomach lemonade at one point but thats making me feel sick now. Anyone else like this?

mrsnec Fri 11-Sep-15 06:05:47

Yes at one point and those foods you've mentioned were exactly the same for me although I can also do flapjacks and jacket potatoes. I'm nearly 16 weeks now and it's getting better but not gone completely. I did find the orange juice a bit acidic though you might be better if you could drink something else. Although I could only do full sugar coke at one point. I hope you feel better soon. I think fruit is the least offensive thing to eat on the way back so I do eat a lot of it!

BikeRunSki Fri 11-Sep-15 06:12:47

I was like that in both my pregnancies. It's an awful feeling isn't it? It's much more important to stay hydrated than eat, so put your efforts into drinking. I found I could sometimes manage cold, fizzy, bitter drinks - grapefruit juice mixed with soda water. Or try ice lollies or melting ice cubes in your mouth. I found it incredibly hard to eat or drink, I had a huge aversion to either. When you are this sick, it's likely you have a condition called Hyperemisis Gravidarum.

There are antisickness drugs that your GP can prescribe, which can make some difference. Some GP's are wary of prescribihttps://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/291130/scho0808boir-e-e.pdfng them though.

I ended up in hospital being rehydrated on a drip several times in each pg, but to be honest I was past caring by then.

this is a very useful website

When I was up to eating it was only savoury foods, mostly Mini Cheddars!

BikeRunSki Fri 11-Sep-15 06:14:05

No idea what that unclicky link is ping in the middle of the second paragraph !

Bells2307 Fri 11-Sep-15 06:48:07

Hi, I'm suffering with sickness and the early pregnancy unit at my hospital had prescribed tablets which I take 3 times a day. Speak to them rather than suffering, it's what they're there for smile

KatyN Fri 11-Sep-15 07:17:03

I felt like that for 5 weeks at the beginning. I got anti sickness tablets from my gp so I wasn't vomiting but still mainly lying in bed feeling sick. I woke up at about 13 weeks and suddenly felt normal again. It was like a switch turning off.
I ate a lot of ice lollies and digestive biscuits. The biscuits I took everywhere with me on the off chance I could eat something I didn't want to miss the opportunity
Good luck

princesspineapple Fri 11-Sep-15 07:40:51

I kept trying different soups and smoothies in the hope that some vitamins and goodness would be absorbed before they inevitably made me sick... And my 12 week scan showed a perfect sized and very wriggly baby so I like to think that it worked a bit! grin
seriously though, ice lollies are your friend smile and jelly! I lived off this diet for a good 3 weeks. Feel better soon!

BikeRunSki Fri 11-Sep-15 10:23:31

You might find this thread comforting too zanny.

zannyminxoxox Sat 12-Sep-15 13:38:00

Thanks for your replies glad im not on my own. Im trying to avoid anti sickness tabs but will have to go docs if it carries on as I miss eating sad I have started getting heartburn now so orange juice is off the menu and I love that stuff sad I was like this with my girl, so maybe another girl. My boy I was so lucky had no symptoms whatsoever except sore boobs

zannyminxoxox Sat 12-Sep-15 13:38:55

The Jelly sounds good may get some in on my next shop smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now