Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Stress in Early Pregnancy

(10 Posts)
brookeberry Thu 10-Sep-15 13:52:21

I have experienced 3 early mcs and am now pregnant again and am 9 wks. I had a very stressful experience yesterday out of nowhere which lasted all day and night. Now all is resolved - but I felt a little hysterical at the time, for what was quite a long time.

I guess I need reassurance. I had an early scan a few days ago at 8 + 3 and there it was all good with a heartbeat - I have never gotten this far before. I'm sure I'm over-reacting but I'm so worried this pregnancy will go wrong. It the little thing quite safe in there even if you are seriously upset? Sorry if this sounds a little silly. When you've only ever had mcs, you can't help feel vulnerable.

sepa Thu 10-Sep-15 14:37:37

Congratulations on getting this far.

Apparently your stress levels to cause harm to a baby have to be somewhere in the region of being pregnant in a war torn country and trying to escape to a new country.

Try not and let the stress of the last few days get in the way of today. Having a good heartbeat will no doubt be a good sign for things to come at your 12 week scan.

Wishing you well in the rest of your pregnancy flowers

Skiptonlass Thu 10-Sep-15 14:42:00

They are very well insulated in there. Unless you had serious clinical shock (by which I mean the kind of physical response you get when you lose half your blood volume) then there's virtually no chance of it affecting the foetus (even then, it's not a given something would happen, or there'd be no babies born in war zones/refugee camps etc)

Mc at that time point is generally down to serious chromosomal /genetic abnormalities etc which you have zero control over.

Once you've seen a heartbeat at 8 weeks, your chances of carrying to term improve massively smile

Sound like you had a rough day, but don't fret about your foetus, it's doing its thing in there unperturbed.

brookeberry Thu 10-Sep-15 15:00:24

Sepa and Skiptonlass, thank you for your kind responses. That was much needed reassurance as there no point in worrying is there.

Yes I do believe I had no control over my mcs and giving myself a hard time isn't going to help the time passing to my next scan (10 + 3) - the hospital is holding my hand through this which is lovely. I am very lucky to be pregnant again (it took a year and a half), so fingers crossed and I hope you two are doing well.

xx

MummyBex1985 Thu 10-Sep-15 19:04:34

I spent six months visiting a very poorly close relative in the ICU. She nearly died on several occasions.

I also walked up and down 20 floors every day at the hospital because I was terrified of lifts.

My DD is absolutely fine and is now a very healthy ten year old smile

brookeberry Thu 10-Sep-15 19:40:54

Thanks MummyBex. Yes it was one those paranoid days that I'm sure will come and go throughout!

Brummiegirl15 Thu 10-Sep-15 22:12:00

I've had 3mcs in a row with no previous children and I'm now 19+3 on my 4th attempt.

Do not lose faith!!! Hang in there a day at time and tell yourself every day "today I am pregnant"

flowers

Electrocute Fri 11-Sep-15 08:28:25

Hi Brookeberry congratulations on getting this far and a good strong heartbeat is a great sign flowers

I just wanted to reply and say that when I was around 10 weeks pregnant we were told that my lovely MIL had weeks to live. We cared for her at home for the next 4 weeks until she passed away and it was the worst, most stressful time of my whole life. I was absolutely convinced I would lose our baby due to the stress and grief. But here I am now 23 weeks and it hasn't done baby any harm whatsoever. So please try not to worry (although I know it's almost impossible not to!) I have everything crossed for a healthy pregnancy for you flowers x

brookeberry Fri 11-Sep-15 12:42:52

Thank you all for the really lovely replies.

Brummiegirl - congratulations! We've had the same experience - thank you for the positivity - I'm hoping 4th time lucky for me too.

Electrocute - thank you for sharing - that must have been unbelievably upsetting for you, but what a wonderful thing to do, she was very lucky to have you. And yes that is quite prolonged stress. I guess the wee one is safe and sound in it's own world in there.

Electrocute Sat 12-Sep-15 08:31:27

Its very hard not to tie yourself in knots worrying but you just have to take time to be kind to yourself and focus on that good strong heartbeat x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: