Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Stress in Early Pregnancy

(10 Posts)
brookeberry Thu 10-Sep-15 13:52:21

I have experienced 3 early mcs and am now pregnant again and am 9 wks. I had a very stressful experience yesterday out of nowhere which lasted all day and night. Now all is resolved - but I felt a little hysterical at the time, for what was quite a long time.

I guess I need reassurance. I had an early scan a few days ago at 8 + 3 and there it was all good with a heartbeat - I have never gotten this far before. I'm sure I'm over-reacting but I'm so worried this pregnancy will go wrong. It the little thing quite safe in there even if you are seriously upset? Sorry if this sounds a little silly. When you've only ever had mcs, you can't help feel vulnerable.

sepa Thu 10-Sep-15 14:37:37

Congratulations on getting this far.

Apparently your stress levels to cause harm to a baby have to be somewhere in the region of being pregnant in a war torn country and trying to escape to a new country.

Try not and let the stress of the last few days get in the way of today. Having a good heartbeat will no doubt be a good sign for things to come at your 12 week scan.

Wishing you well in the rest of your pregnancy flowers

Skiptonlass Thu 10-Sep-15 14:42:00

They are very well insulated in there. Unless you had serious clinical shock (by which I mean the kind of physical response you get when you lose half your blood volume) then there's virtually no chance of it affecting the foetus (even then, it's not a given something would happen, or there'd be no babies born in war zones/refugee camps etc)

Mc at that time point is generally down to serious chromosomal /genetic abnormalities etc which you have zero control over.

Once you've seen a heartbeat at 8 weeks, your chances of carrying to term improve massively smile

Sound like you had a rough day, but don't fret about your foetus, it's doing its thing in there unperturbed.

brookeberry Thu 10-Sep-15 15:00:24

Sepa and Skiptonlass, thank you for your kind responses. That was much needed reassurance as there no point in worrying is there.

Yes I do believe I had no control over my mcs and giving myself a hard time isn't going to help the time passing to my next scan (10 + 3) - the hospital is holding my hand through this which is lovely. I am very lucky to be pregnant again (it took a year and a half), so fingers crossed and I hope you two are doing well.

xx

MummyBex1985 Thu 10-Sep-15 19:04:34

I spent six months visiting a very poorly close relative in the ICU. She nearly died on several occasions.

I also walked up and down 20 floors every day at the hospital because I was terrified of lifts.

My DD is absolutely fine and is now a very healthy ten year old smile

brookeberry Thu 10-Sep-15 19:40:54

Thanks MummyBex. Yes it was one those paranoid days that I'm sure will come and go throughout!

Brummiegirl15 Thu 10-Sep-15 22:12:00

I've had 3mcs in a row with no previous children and I'm now 19+3 on my 4th attempt.

Do not lose faith!!! Hang in there a day at time and tell yourself every day "today I am pregnant"

flowers

Electrocute Fri 11-Sep-15 08:28:25

Hi Brookeberry congratulations on getting this far and a good strong heartbeat is a great sign flowers

I just wanted to reply and say that when I was around 10 weeks pregnant we were told that my lovely MIL had weeks to live. We cared for her at home for the next 4 weeks until she passed away and it was the worst, most stressful time of my whole life. I was absolutely convinced I would lose our baby due to the stress and grief. But here I am now 23 weeks and it hasn't done baby any harm whatsoever. So please try not to worry (although I know it's almost impossible not to!) I have everything crossed for a healthy pregnancy for you flowers x

brookeberry Fri 11-Sep-15 12:42:52

Thank you all for the really lovely replies.

Brummiegirl - congratulations! We've had the same experience - thank you for the positivity - I'm hoping 4th time lucky for me too.

Electrocute - thank you for sharing - that must have been unbelievably upsetting for you, but what a wonderful thing to do, she was very lucky to have you. And yes that is quite prolonged stress. I guess the wee one is safe and sound in it's own world in there.

Electrocute Sat 12-Sep-15 08:31:27

Its very hard not to tie yourself in knots worrying but you just have to take time to be kind to yourself and focus on that good strong heartbeat x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now