Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

For those of you with school age DC

(15 Posts)
cheezypeas Thu 10-Sep-15 10:32:37

What are you planning for your older DC when the new baby comes along? Are you going to let them have a few days off school, or shovel them back as soon as possible grin?

5madthings Thu 10-Sep-15 10:37:57

Er they will go to school as usual, our schools will fine for unauthorised absence for a start.

When dd was born ds1 had a day off but that was because he was at the birth and so up overnight, as I laboured overnight and she was born early hours of the morning. But am not sure if any of the madthings want to be present at the birth of madthing6, am only ten weeks so they don't know yet. If they do then they may have a day off when I am in labour but I tend to labour and birth at night.

cheezypeas Thu 10-Sep-15 10:43:00

Ah OK.....the fine thing! Hadn't thought of that, as our school hasn't really gone down that route and I am sure would be reasonable about having a day or two at home. DD is so excited, I can't imagine she'd do much if she went in anyway....

BeautifulLiar Thu 10-Sep-15 10:44:09

Definitely send them in. In fact I'm praying the baby comes before the Easter holidays...

Doublebubblebubble Thu 10-Sep-15 10:54:37

Definitely sending to school... ??60 a day fine if dd has an unauthorized absence...

Days off are for the weekends and half terms x

CocoChanelsMa Thu 10-Sep-15 10:57:59

I expect DH to take the DC in the day after, inwouldnt be advocating doing the school run yourself.

Or ask a friend/family member to take them?

I wouldn't let them have a day off - it will also give you a chance to have a rest with the baby.

Chattymummyhere Thu 10-Sep-15 13:44:08

Mine will be going to school I have family who can run them in/do pick up. Although if I have a morning birth me, dh and new baby might do the pick up together.

poocatcherchampion Thu 10-Sep-15 13:45:44

My DD will go to preschool if it is a pre school day.

Peace and quiet innit? ??

cheeseandcrackers Thu 10-Sep-15 14:01:54

Mine will be going to school as normal. It's not as if they can 'do' much with the new baby and the rest of us may be too knackered to give him as much attention as he'd like. Better to go to school and have a big fuss made of his big brother status when he gets home.

Shutthatdoor Thu 10-Sep-15 14:06:47

I am sure would be reasonable about having a day or two at home.

It would be an unauthorised absence.

Every1KnowsJeffHesUsuallyACunt Thu 10-Sep-15 14:09:53

I've always sent them in. Don't think I could be arsed with them moping about tbh. At least school keeps them entertained, being at home they'd be climbing the walls with all the well meaning visitors paying them absolutely zero attention.

The break also allows you to sleep, eat, have a bath, everything you wouldn't get time for if they were there.

Sometimes you'll find that older children don't take a new sibling very well despite the excitement beforehand. It's not exciting when they realise they get no attention and the baby just sleeps and cries.

cheezypeas Thu 10-Sep-15 14:21:02

Clearly I'm the only one in the world for whom it had entered their head to keep an older child off school! blush

Hairballs Thu 10-Sep-15 17:00:32

DS will definitely be going in. Don't understand why you would keep them off. A new baby is enough change for some younger DC; keeping their routine is important...and then of course there's the fines....

BeeMyBaby Thu 10-Sep-15 17:57:13

I will be sending both my DDs to school/nursery - I know they will be bursting to tell their friends.

Maurice169 Thu 10-Sep-15 19:33:15

Yep. I'm sending my daughter to school. I think she'd rather be at school with her friends than at home. By the time baby's due she'll be old enough to walk to and from school on her own. So at least I won't have to stress getting everything ready and out the door on time?!.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now