Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Maternity

(8 Posts)
lozza223 Tue 01-Sep-15 18:15:50

I am currently off sick at work and I am 22+6 weeks and will probably not returning to work till after the baby is more. I was wondering whether anyone knows when I will be able to start my maternity leave?

dementedpixie Tue 01-Sep-15 18:18:37

Any time from 29 weeks. Or you could stay signed off sick at which point your employer could start your maternity leave at 36 weeks if the sickness is pregnancy related.

lozza223 Tue 01-Sep-15 18:23:24

Ok thank you. I had to get signed off stress related as work had me in stressful situations when I am high risk causing my blood pressure to go up. They are currently slagging me off so I don't fancy going back to be treated poorly. Also my doctor does not want me returning until after the baby is born because of my blood pressure and the risks.

LumpySpaceCow Tue 01-Sep-15 18:26:13

Stay on sick as long as possible then and also make sure you get your annual leave x

lozza223 Tue 01-Sep-15 18:31:01

ok will do sounds better plan as I will have longer when she comes. Thank you

Brummiegirl15 Tue 01-Sep-15 18:37:03

Yep do not start your maternity leave until you absolutely have to.

Which if you are signed off sick is defaulted to 36 weeks.

Good luck!!!

lozza223 Tue 01-Sep-15 18:38:24

Ok brilliant thank you.

See me and my partner where debating when to start it.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Tue 01-Sep-15 21:49:21

The 36 week rule for starting leave if off sick only applies if the sickness is pregnancy related. If your doctor says your stress is related to your job rather than the pregnancy then that won't apply. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now