Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Crafty mummies - what have you made for your bumpkins or dc's

(24 Posts)
Doublebubblebubble Sun 30-Aug-15 12:20:51

I am the crochet master at the moment and have been crocheting away like a demon. I've made several hats, a cocoon or two and blankets, blankets galour. I've also made a name thing for the wall thanks pinterest

. is anyone else being properly mumsy and crafting???

Roobix04 Sun 30-Aug-15 12:25:24

When I was pregnant I knitted a blanket for dd. I also made her a garland of felt stars to drape round her ceiling. I loved making them.

Laura7010 Sun 30-Aug-15 12:29:43

I've been making dresses and dungarees smile

Skiptonlass Sun 30-Aug-15 12:52:53

A few Jersey blankets, some knitted cardies/hats, working on a quilt smile

Nice frock Laura! I love the fabric.

oneyorkshirepud Sun 30-Aug-15 13:57:51

Gorgeous dress!

So far sock monkey, sock owl and sock lion. SIL thought the owl was a penguin... smile

Was given the link by another MNer they ate super sweet and very quick to do:

sock owl

Have also made a labour- preparation mat thing (big piece of foam covered in snuggly material) to lounge on to practise daisy/hypno birthage. This can become a play mat for Xmas pud when he/she arrives. I bought material that was the same colour as baby sick considering making a gym ball cover too to make it all snuggly yes I have gone completely mental since getting upduffed

Might make some bunting for the nursery too... Any more ideas welcome craft ones!

BriocheBriocheBrioche Sun 30-Aug-15 14:13:00

I've just made some wool pompoms to make a mobile/wall hanging and a dream catcher for dd1.

Would love to have make a few dresses but have a simple problem I can't rectify with my sewing machine!

Laura7010 Sun 30-Aug-15 14:43:31

Thank you skipton and oneyork smile I was pleased with it. I am in love with these I made too...

thenewaveragebear1983 Sun 30-Aug-15 17:05:16

Have made all my babies a quilt but this time (3rd) I've lost my mojo half way...might give to mother to finish! Also have Annie sloaned a rocking chair and wooden crib and have just today sewn the covers for the cushion pads concerned that I'm getting so huge I won't be able to move to cut fabric . Am also planning to make a small patchwork or bunting using pieces of the most memorable baby clothes from my 3 before everything else goes to the car boot- this s definitely my last baby!

Nousername2015 Sun 30-Aug-15 17:09:49

laura, those clothes are gorgeous!! Love all the ideas on here. I already have bunting from my wedding that I'm planning to put up in the nursery, and I restored some furniture last year which we are going to use so a bit stuck for ideas really. Do love the idea of a quilt or those sock toys though!

soloula Sun 30-Aug-15 17:41:39

I'm just finishing off a cardigan for baby that I started when I was pregnant with her big sister two years ago!

sophiaslullaby Mon 31-Aug-15 09:17:06

A friend gave me a crochet & knitting magazine kit -i can crochet already and nearly finished a blanket (over zealous with the size and it's huge!confused) but i don't knit. 4weeks later I've nearly completed a knitted blue pirate doll for baby, it's really sweet an is so calming to create.
Think it's lovely that our babies will have something handmade from 'Mummy' rather than just Aunties/Grandmas/ Friends.

Doublebubblebubble Mon 31-Aug-15 13:39:33

Wow Laura those dresses are awesome. I cant sew for toffee. Well done everyone else too - lets see some pictures xxx I'm going to have to post some pictures of the stuff I've done so far soon x when I was pregnant with DD - I got my granny (who has since died) my mum and all my aunties to each put a couple of stiches in a blanket for her. She loves that blanket. I cant do that this time sad but I agree that its nice that its something from us

contractor6 Mon 31-Aug-15 15:15:35

I've knitted baby blankets, sewn a snuggle blanket for car seat, and made building blocking from material squares filled with foam. My mum on the other hand has done loads i may forget everything but here goes......knitted tortoise, elephant and fish, recovered Moses basket in prettier material, made me a changing bag and matching changing mattress, patchwork cot quilt, patch work wall hanging quilt, knitted pram suits, bonnets, mittens, cardigans, matinee coat. Oh and made flannel sheets for Moses basket...busy lady and I'm so lucky (so is baby)

ARV1981 Mon 31-Aug-15 16:33:29

I started a quilt.

I've also made a mobile. Not the best photo in the world, sorry! I enjoyed making it... took about a day complete.

ARV1981 Mon 31-Aug-15 16:34:51

Oh, and Laura, your baby clothes are gorgeous!

It makes me want to get my sewing machine out again.

BlueBananas Mon 31-Aug-15 16:39:40

Ok I'll have one of the hot air balloon dresses and a raindrop mobile thanks ladies grin
I'm pretty rubbish at anything crafty

madsaz76 Mon 31-Aug-15 18:11:34

I'm not remotely crafty and never have been but I am increasingly getting the urge to make "something". I suppose it will have to be simple and achievable - maybe even just decorating something that I already have or a simple mobile.

Are there any idiots guides or disturbingly easy to follow websites I could look at? Don't want what I presume to be my nesting instinct to turn a nursery into badly made tat!

contractor6 Mon 31-Aug-15 18:20:07

Can you knit at all? A blanket is good one to start with. Or I made a "taggy" blanket, which was simple but effective, just ribbons and two pieces of material? I didn't have a pattern sorry

u32ng Mon 31-Aug-15 18:20:36

I LOVE crochet too and am crocheting a rainbow coloured & cream blanket which I'm loving! Can't wait until the day I get to use it over DC2.

I also have some black & white contrast fabric which I intend on using to making new dangly shapes for the baby bouncer as the ones that are there aren't very interesting for a newborn.

Want to make more stuff but don't know what & the priority is to finish the blanket first!

GoooRooo Mon 31-Aug-15 18:21:54

I'm a cross stitch demon. I've made a Christmas stocking, a birth sampler and am half way through a height chart.

I've also signed up to do a crochet workshop next month!

GoooRooo Mon 31-Aug-15 18:22:31

Laura7010 I absolutely love that little dress!

GoooRooo Mon 31-Aug-15 18:26:35

The birth sampler needs name/date of birth etc, the Christmas stocking also needs a name and to be sewed up into a stocking and the height chart is only half done but here they are smile

madsaz76 Mon 31-Aug-15 18:32:49

knitting I haven't tried since a kid where I was universally bad at it. Cross stich not a bad call - had moderate success as a teenager. Am currently browsing pinterest trying to work things out a bit.

Skiptonlass Mon 31-Aug-15 18:42:41

I really, really want to do this next ...

www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/baby-blanket-snowflakes---vognteppet-snfnugg

Super cute.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now