Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Low blood pressure? Concern or not to worry? 90/53

(12 Posts)
acupofteafortwoormore Sun 23-Aug-15 16:10:37

I am 32 nearly 33 weeks pregnant & have low iron - 8 last tested about 4 weeks ago, under active thyroid but on medication & tested every 4 weeks. But increasingly feel so dizzy/faint - have borrowed my mothers BP machine & the last few days tested my BP & it's averaging 90/53. Today I feel so light headed & strange just wondered if I should be concerned? Or any advice? Ironically last time I had high BP!

acupofteafortwoormore Sun 23-Aug-15 16:34:12

Anyone?

Monstamio Sun 23-Aug-15 16:41:05

I don't think low blood pressure on its own is a worry. I averaged around 90/45 during pregnancy and was fine throughout. The midwives always reiterated how high bp was much more of a concern and with low bp the only worry was the danger of fainting somewhere inconvenient (ie at the top of a flight of stairs), but so long as you can feel the dizziness coming on you can manage it.

That being said, I always have low bp, so it's totally normal for me. If it's a new thing for you and particularly given your other medical history, I think it's worth calling your midwife in the morning and getting checked out. Try not to worry though. Those home machines aren't always that accurate either.

Hotpotpie Sun 23-Aug-15 17:41:23

Mines often 70/50 and midwife hasn't been concerned, if it's a change for you always worth discussing though

Impatientwino Sun 23-Aug-15 18:11:25

Make sure you keep up fluids as this helps with low blood pressure and some salty crisps (sodium helps too)

acupofteafortwoormore Sun 23-Aug-15 18:15:04

Thank you all for the replies - feel calmer after reading them. I have a scan & consultant this week so if I still feel ill/strange I will mention it then.

BabyGanoush Sun 23-Aug-15 18:24:14

I had low bloodpressure (still do), it went lower during pregnancy which is normal.

I fainted once on a very hot day (it was 35C though and I stupidly skipped lunch!)

Other than that I was fine.

low blood pressure (within what is normal) is actually better than high.

BabyGanoush Sun 23-Aug-15 18:24:46

Make sure you always drink enough

lougle Sun 23-Aug-15 18:43:00

Your systolic is just on the normal range at 90. Your diastolic is slightly under normal (60).

The reason for lower BP is the fact that your circulation had increased. It'll go up again once you've had the baby.

You need a mean arterial pressure of >60 to perfuse your kidneys, brain, etc. Your MAP is 65.3 so you should be fine.

Your pulse pressure (difference between systolic and diastolic) is 37. You need a pulse pressure over 1/4 of the systolic, so over 22.5, so again that's fine.

Having said that, you may still feel faint if you BP is low. Increasing your fluids will help.

Runningupthathill82 Sun 23-Aug-15 19:56:03

I don't understand blood pressure very much at all, but I do know mine is always around 80/50 when I'm pregnant (both this pregnancy and my last).
I tend to get dizzy, and have to eat every few hours otherwise I feel faint. Otherwise, it's never been a problem.

BabyGanoush Sun 23-Aug-15 20:22:48

A cup of miso soup is brilliant for pick me up moments (salt and liquids)

acupofteafortwoormore Sun 23-Aug-15 20:59:56

Thank you all-drinking lots & enjoying the excuse to put my feet up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now