Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How bad is induction?

(12 Posts)
purplewoofer Tue 18-Aug-15 17:27:28

Currently 34 weeks and have gestational diabetes. Diet controlled and levels have been fine.

Been to Dr today and they said they would induce me at 40 weeks if I have not gone into labour yet. This is second pregnancy first was a few days early. I have yet to hear of any positive induction stories - how bad are they? Thanks

Coffeemarkone Tue 18-Aug-15 17:30:26

I was induced and it was a bit scary as it then came on so quick.
But it was fine in the end, try not to worry.
flowers

foxmitten Tue 18-Aug-15 17:46:55

Been induced twice at 38 weeks, both were positive experiences and better than my spontaneous labour and birth! I would describe it as intense, both of mine were quick. First induced baby, labour started almost immediately after gel was applied (my waters had already gone before induction started) and baby was born within about 3 hours. Second one I had a pesaary rather than gel which is apparently more gentle. Nothing happened for about 11 hours but once labour started it was over in about 8 hours from first twinges.

BrumpyGollocks Tue 18-Aug-15 17:51:12

I was induced with my youngest and was petrified leading up to it, my previous labour (spontaneous natural birth) was traumatic so I was terribly anxious.

The induced labour was by far my easiest, it was over in 5 hours even with my Ds being almost 10lb, I even managed with just gas & air.

Tell the midwives if you are nervous, mine knew how anxious I was,they were very understanding of my fears & put me at ease, they were great.

purplewoofer Tue 18-Aug-15 18:01:24

That's good. Thanks for your replies. The first was a bit traumatic needing assistance and was worried about being induced. Can you still have a water birth?

boopdoop Tue 18-Aug-15 18:10:02

I was induced with DS as 2 weeks overdue, and it was fine. Induced at 10am, had waters broken at 5pm, contractions then kicked in. He was born at 5.30am. I was in birthing pool from 6cm to a hour of pushing. Ended up in CS as head wasn't quite facing right way, and he was 10lb 7oz, so quite glad of CS in end. But being induced was fine, and still able to use pool etc. I was quite scared and apprehensive about it but it was all fine. Good luck!

soloula Tue 18-Aug-15 19:18:11

There was a small group of my friends and we were all due within a few months of one another. Out of six of us the one with the shortest labour and no intervention was my friend who was induced. All the rest of us who had gone into labour naturally ended up with really long labours, forceps, episiotomies or sections so induction certainly can be a positive experience.

sebsmummy1 Tue 18-Aug-15 19:21:09

If this pregnancy continues I suspect I will be induced due to advanced maternal age. I'm a bit scared if I'm honest as my sons pregnancy was spontaneous at 40+2. This has alleviated my worries somewhat though so i appreciate that x

MarchEliza Tue 18-Aug-15 19:35:19

I was induced (1st baby) and unlike others on this thread it was not a fast process. Took a few days in total but was not a traumatic experience, more frustrating if anything (waiting for stuff to happen.)

In the end my waters were broken artificially and I was given an epidural as otherwise I'd have been in labor for days and would have no energy to push at the critical time.

Baby born fine, I had no pain (lovely epidural) and I healed fast with a healthy, happy baby.

I obviously would have preferred not to do all the faff, but it was nothing to be frightened of in itself.

Good luck!

JanineMelnitzGlasses Tue 18-Aug-15 19:35:38

I was induced (I went 12 days over). I had a pessary and was on my third (& final) gel before DS got the hint. Apart from all of the prodding & poking, and being hooked up to monitors for an hour or so at a time, I found it ok. Labour wasn't too bad, probably lasted 4 hours start to finish.

Easier said than done but try to relax. If you're not good with pain then ask for (& take) anything that's offered, no-ones handing out medals at the end. I managed on paracetamol & Entinox (gas and air) but everyone (& every labour) is different.

Good luck.

foxmitten Tue 18-Aug-15 19:46:58

Oh yes I forgot that, both inductions I did on g and a only, so it's not necessarily the case that you will need an epidural.

I'm not sure about the water birth, you've got nothing to lose by asking.

pocopearl Tue 18-Aug-15 20:04:39

I was induced had 6 pessaries before DS decided to budge, and took 8 days but to be honest not a horrible experience. Just take plenty of entertainment with you to hospital incase its a long process, and remember you can ask for gas and air for the pessary going in which for me when i got to about number 4 i was very tender down below s was gratful for it. seriously though nothing to be afraid of.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now