Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Borderline ?? on the blood test, but they won't tell me what? Any ideas?

(11 Posts)
CarrieLouise25 Tue 18-Aug-15 12:51:15

Just being a worrier to be honest. My 12 week scan is tomorrow and it can't come quick enough.

Firstly I know that the doctor only rings you if there's a problem. My midwife said if I wanted the test results of my blood test, to call the surgery. But instead they called me.

The secretary said, that I needed to drop in a urine sample to be sure. Sure about what? She wasn't sure.

Then she looked at the notes, and said I was borderline. Again, borderline what? She wasn't sure. Just that the doctor wants to test another sample (which the midwife said was perfectly fine) to be sure about the thing she's not sure about.

So I asked to speak to the doctor, but he's not there.

I know I shouldn't panic, but I am. What does a blood test pick up, that a urine sample is needed to confirm? An infection, diabetes? I don't have a clue. That's why I thought doctors were there, to tell you.

This happened before when I had a blood test as I was ill for a long time, and they didn't know why, they phone you and say 'can you make an urgent appt with the doctor please' and won't tell you why. I get they can't always disclose things over the phone, and that is it the doctors job etc etc, BUT it always provides unnecessary panic and worry, when I really don't need anything else to worry about.

So mumsnet it is. Please can anyone help?

Thank you!! x

blondiejess1982 Tue 18-Aug-15 13:01:15

Poor you! Do you know what if it was me I would be on the phone demanding answers. Sometimes these surgeries don't get how calls like that put the fear of God into you. It's irresponsible. I hope you are okay xx

BadgerFace Tue 18-Aug-15 13:02:28

Are these the blood tests from your booking in appointment? Have you had the letter copy of the blood test results yet? Mine had "L(ow)" and "H(igh)" next to a couple of the results and so I could google to see what they meant (slightly anaemic, possibility of infection and likelihood to bleed more than normal in my case). None of which my midwife was interested in at my 18 week check 8 weeks later when I had been wondering about the outside normal scope results for 2 months...

I know it's hard but please try not to worry before knowing what the issue is - I had a similar experience with a blood test when undergoing fertility testing a few years ago - I got called by the surgery to make an appointment due to the blood test results, started worrying, had to wait a week for an appointment, had to take time off work to go to the appointment and then all it was was slightly high cholesterol. Why on earth the doctor couldn't have just told me that over the phone I will never fathom!

CarrieLouise25 Tue 18-Aug-15 13:08:29

Thank you blondiejess1982, surgeries have a habit of making you feel silly if you phone and ask anything. I might send my DH off with a sample later (lucky him) to drop into the surgery today, so it can be done asap x

lauraa4 Tue 18-Aug-15 13:08:56

I really think you need to phone your doctor back and demand that someone who is qualified to interpret results calls you back as you are now very anxious over why they need you back in. It could be something, could be nothing. The blood test that you have at your booking in appointment is for various thing so it would be impossible for anyone on here to tell you exactly what you need a urine test for.

I had to have a blood test last week as there was protein in my urine which can be a sign of pre-eclampsia. I'm 35 weeks btw so would not be something you would be tested for. My midwife called me and said they need a further urine test to get an exact reading. Doesn't mean that anything is wrong, sometimes they just need to be sure.

CarrieLouise25 Tue 18-Aug-15 13:11:54

Hi BadgerFace , you're so right, I feel like such an idiot for worrying, but they definitely could do with a reassuring, 'nothing to worry about, it's just the doctor thinks there might be .... wrong, and we need to confirm if it is or not'.

Yes, they are the blood tests from the booking in. Haven't had a copy of the test yet, otherwise I would be googling everything!

I guess at least whatever it is, it's borderline, rather than full blown! x

CarrieLouise25 Tue 18-Aug-15 13:16:20

Hi lauraa4, yes you're right.

I had the same later on with last pregnancy with protein in my urine, but the midwife was good enough to tell me the problem straight away and why I needed a retest smile

I think I will phone the doctor again, if he isn't about, then another doctor can surely interpret the results?

Thanks everyone x

CarrieLouise25 Tue 18-Aug-15 13:24:06

Phoned up, no one can speak to me today, but this evening after surgery ends a doctor will call me 7pm ish.

Well at least that's only 6 hours of googling possibilities!

Will try and forget about it now smile

Well at least it took my mind off the sickness and constant nausea for a few minutes, thanks doctor, all I needed was some panic to distract me grin

Skiptonlass Tue 18-Aug-15 14:22:06

So the routine booking in bloods are (correct me if I'm wrong I'm no longer in the UK!)

Your blood group
Anaemia
If you're immune to rubella
HIV, syphilis and hepatitis
Rhesus status
Sickle cell and the thalassemias.

So, I'm not sure why she wants to do a urine test because there's nothing there that'd be confirmable via urine smile
What they look for in urine is sugar and protein. Sugar obviously can mean you have diabetes and protein can indicate a few things, usually the possibility of a urine infection which would need to be confirmed by another sample they'd send off and culture. Pre eclampsia too of course but highly unlikely that early on!

Also, a small but significant number of lab tests fail due to clotting/haemolysis/human error.

What I can tell you is that if there was anything critical, they'd be bringing you in on the spot, not telling you to drop a urine sample by. There are different levels of alerts for different result ranges, going from 'right, best just check that again' to 'defcon 1 oh my god' type of thing.

Hope it goes well for you smile

CarrieLouise25 Tue 18-Aug-15 15:17:18

Hi Skiptonlass, thank you, that's very reassuring smile

I too, have been wondering as well, what the blood test would spot and the urine would confirm? I could only think of diabetes or an infection.

At least if it was serious I'd be going in straight away, so that definitely makes me feel better.

Thank you x

CarrieLouise25 Tue 18-Aug-15 15:37:46

Doctor called!

Guess what? The secretary got it completely wrong.

There was nothing wrong with the blood tests. At all.

Somehow my urine sample was contaminated, and they need a new sample. That's all.

Phew.

Thanks for all your answers, worried for absolutely no reason at all!! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now