Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

strep b

(5 Posts)
themumfairy Mon 17-Aug-15 20:08:14

I had strep b with my first back in 2007. I ended up with an emergency section at 37 weeks due to placenta hemorrhaging so I didn't have to have anti biotics after.

I had another baby 2 years later and all was well.

I am now having #3 and am worrying. not sure if it's because I'm older and was very naive with my first 2 as I was so young.

what are the symptoms of strep b? is there more chance of having it again if I did before? they don't routinely test for it and the midwife doesn't seem concerned but I can't help but worry

RooibosTeaAgain Mon 17-Aug-15 22:24:04

Hi am afraidI have no idea of symptoms but I swab I had last week ( had spotting with suspected thrush) it was identified. Not swabbed in first pregnancy or if I was not identified and my second pregnancy ended in third trimester and no swabs.

Have they tested you this time? GP just said they do nothing until birth as it can come and go.

RooibosTeaAgain Mon 17-Aug-15 22:25:14

Should say it was a quick, shallow swab by the GP so maybe yours will do one? It was not done to check for GBS but it picked it up!

Pitapotamus Mon 17-Aug-15 22:31:15

You can get a private test for about £30. Google gbss and I think there is information on their site about private testing.

Cornberry Mon 17-Aug-15 22:33:43

I did a private test. It was £30 and totally simple and worth it. Called Wednesday, received pack on Friday and sent back same day. Texted me the result on the Monday. They say you should do it after 35-36 weeks. Midwife told me the private tests were much more reliable. If you've had it before don't they test or treat you automatically though? Make sure you've mentioned it to your midwife.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now