Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Lack of sleep, how are others coping?

(19 Posts)
Ladypug Mon 17-Aug-15 08:34:47

I'm 30 weeks and cannot sleep at all! My mind is whirring, I'm up for the toilet every few hours or with heartburn. Back in agony, hot sweats... Every single night. I'm exhausted and feel like a zombie going to work! How are other people coping with this? 9 more weeks of this will kill me!

blowinahoolie Mon 17-Aug-15 08:39:04

I'm up every hour to use the toilet through the night, have been for weeks now. I'm 39 weeks tomorrow....wishing the baby was here now, so fed up.

Hope the rest of your pregnancy isn't as bad as mine!

Ladypug Mon 17-Aug-15 09:02:58

God thanks blowin, our toilet is miles away from our bedroom too, it's a proper trek through the entire house!

Junosmum Mon 17-Aug-15 09:08:29

Badly! I'm only 18 weeks but feel like I've been punched repeatedly in the kidneys and cannot get comfortable and the pain is stopping me sleeping!

Superexcited Mon 17-Aug-15 09:09:27

Hi Ladypug. I'm 31 weeks and not sleeping well either - I haven't been for weeks now. I can handle the toilet trips (usually only one or maximum of 2 per night) but I can't handle the pain that I get in my hips and thighs when I am lying down for a long time. I mentioned the pain to the midwife a few weeks ago but she didn't seem concerned at all. I suppose it's only going to get worse as I get even bigger. Ah well, maybe it's good preparation for the rest of the sleepless nights ahead.

Lunastarfish Mon 17-Aug-15 09:19:06

On a practical level could you see your gp and be signed off for a few days/weeks so you can catch up with sleep (I started maternity leave early at 30/31 weeks and use to sleep for a couple of hours in the afternoon)

The constant toilet trips are a bugger

Fatty12 Mon 17-Aug-15 09:28:07

Hii

I am literally exhausted. Currently 32+5 and fed up, cant wait till this is over. This last trimester has been so dofficult so far; extreme heartburn, back ache, period like pains, and ofcourse waking up 100 times at night! On the bright side i leave work end of this month so not long leftt grin

Goodluck to all of us! The joys..

tinyme135 Mon 17-Aug-15 16:16:03

Omg I'm only 19 weeks and I'm the same. Horrible dreams, horrible back ache, sudden toilet needs, and I have so many more weeks left.

I've noticed keep eating sugar gets me a rush for so long till an hour passes and I want to sleep again.

Ladypug Mon 17-Aug-15 18:51:15

Hey Super,

I mentioned it to my midwife too and she didn't take much notice but I ordered one of these belt things and they are fab, feel much better!

Thanks Luna - unfortunately it's my business and we're stacked so I guess I just have to put up and shut up - I'm just so tired.

Fatty - I feel your pain but you're 2 weeks ahead of me so I'm also envious!

blondiejess1982 Mon 17-Aug-15 19:19:44

I am only 8.5 weeks and I swear my staff in the office must think the boss has turned into a right lazy b****! tired, sick, don't want to be there !!! I usually am in at 6:30 till 5:30 and never touch the office biscuit tin and now it's 9 till 4:30/5 and eating those damn biscuits when it's all my nauseous body can take. Generally looking fat and rough too.��

Ladypug Mon 17-Aug-15 20:03:38

Aw hey Jess! I was exactly the same at that stage, people kept saying I looked a bit run down! FWIW I think first trimester is still the worst, the only problem with third trimester is lack of sleep!

Runningupthathill82 Mon 17-Aug-15 20:12:06

Think of it as practise for when the baby arrives!
I don't think I've slept properly since I was about 30 weeks pregnant. With my first-born. Three years ago.

Second time around, I'm taking it in my stride much more, as I know pregnancy - in my experience - is a breeze compared to a newborn.
I mean, it's tough, but at least when you're up throughout the night you only have yourself to look after, not someone else who's chewing your nipples and screaming...!

blondiejess1982 Mon 17-Aug-15 20:32:55

Lady pug no one knows yet either so I am sure they are thinking how much I have let myself go! Haha. I don't really care though. I am up going to the loo half the night which doesn't help with the tiredness.

blondiejess1982 Mon 17-Aug-15 20:33:55

'Chewing nipples' !!! ��

LongDayAlready Mon 17-Aug-15 21:03:19

I am pleasantly surprised that still managing to sleep at 34 + 6 unless I get woken in the night (which sadly happens all too often with dc3) when I then can't get back to sleep. Although bladder is starting to ramp it up a bit at night so I suspect the end of sleep is nigh.

Have to say though, I prefer the lack of sleep with a newborn to being pregnant - the joy of being able to lie on your back and not take half an hour to turn over in the night!!

Superexcited Mon 17-Aug-15 21:08:10

Yes, I prefer the lack of sleep from a newborn too. Once fed I can always pass the responsibility to DH whilst I go back to sleep. That method worked a treat with my first two babies grin

DrCoconut Tue 18-Aug-15 03:51:24

I'm almost 35 weeks now and since about 25 weeks have had awful sleep issues. I typically can't sleep till about 4am, no matter how tired I am, and then by about 8 or 9 I have DS2 waking me (he's 4 and luckily not an early riser). I've gone on maternity now which helps a bit because getting up at 7 was a killer. The next person who says "ooh I'd be so tired if that was me", or suggests horlicks or a bath will die horribly as my mood and patience are not in top form at the moment. I was the same with DS2 and slept so well after he was born by comparison. I'm still up now and would just love to be able to go to bed and sleep normally even if just for one night. Anyone struggling with tiredness and lack of sleep has my sympathy.

Ladypug Tue 18-Aug-15 06:53:28

Hey Dr, omg 10 weeks of it would kill me! I'm only on week 2! Keep telling myself it will all be worth it (altho I did have a little cry on the kitchen floor a few nights ago desperate for sleep!)

RolyPolierThanThou Tue 18-Aug-15 07:14:05

I'm 35w and I'm woken by kicks and stretches, burrowing head in pelvis (makes me shudder, it feels so weird) hip pain (not just spd, but also from lying on my side too long) heartburn, cramp and my ds2 waking in the night.

I'm not sure how I'm functioning tbh.

However I find getting back to sleep easy if I put on a podcast of Radio 4's 'in our time'. Nothing like listening to the history of silk production in 12th century China to get me to switch off.

I've listened to about a hundred podcasts and have heard the end of about three.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now