Talk

Advanced search

Baby with back to the right/ROP, experiences?

(6 Posts)
pinkie87 Sun 16-Aug-15 21:43:39

Hi all,

I am 38+2 and my baby is presenting with his back to the right (right occupit posterior). He has been in the position since 20 week scan. I am trying to get him to turn before labour (birthing ball, all fours etc) but nothing has helped up until now and I feel he won't move as he is obviously comfortable where he is.

Spinning babies website tells me this presentation could result in additional stages of labour prior to actual labour while my uterus contracts to turn him round to be back on the left side, including stronger/longer contractions.

I just wondered if anybody could share their experience of labour of your baby was in this position. Or even if you managed to turn them before labour, how did you do so? Thanks!

Bluestockings35 Mon 17-Aug-15 03:44:26

Have you been sleeping on your right? I'm about the same stage and when I sleep on my right the baby shifts over there and when I sleep on my left goes back to the left, so might be worth trying to stay on your left if you can....

Kickedinthetits Mon 17-Aug-15 06:57:00

I wouldn't get too hung up on it. My baby was in the perfect position and I still had a long latent phase with back pain. I have several friends whose babies were in the perfect position but turned back to back during labour. Your baby might be comfy in that position or it could relate to things outside of your control like placenta position.
Never a bad thing to spend some time on all fours etc but don't worry about it.

HighOverTheFenceLeapsSunnyJim Mon 17-Aug-15 07:01:09

My last baby was posterior. It did result in a longer labour with back pain (12 hrs when previous labour was 3.5) but I had him at home with just gas and air so it's not insurmountable. He never turned & came out with the most incredible moulding on his head, but it got normal v quickly!

RockerMummy184 Mon 17-Aug-15 07:47:07

My son was positioned the same. He was born like that. I was induced and the extremely strong contractions meant he was becoming distressed and needed intervention due to that, so can't really say what would have happened had he come naturally. He had a ventouse (sp?) delivery and they suction cup had to go on the side of his head rather than the top, but he was fine.
I did find that the contractions were stronger in my back than across my bump, but it's very difficult to say if it was any worse/longer than a 'normal' delivery due to the induction thing.
(Sorry completely unhelpful post!)

pinkie87 Mon 17-Aug-15 18:48:13

Thanks guys.

I do sleep on both left and right but after bi get up from sleeping on left he always moves back to the right anyway.

I guess what will be will be. I won't stress too much but will carry on the positions anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now