Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

flying at 22 weeks

(26 Posts)
tinyme135 Sun 16-Aug-15 21:06:21

Me and my OH have been given a holiday in 3 weeks when I'm 22 weeks gone to Cyprus which is a 4 and half hours long. My OH and family are worried about me going, I know I'll be fine but can you tell me how I can reassure them that everything will be fine and they don't need to worry.

So far I know all I need if factor 50 suncream, flight socks, blanket, and a note from the doctor cause the airline I'm going with would like one.

contractor6 Sun 16-Aug-15 21:30:10

Had a four hour flight at 20 weeks. Massive turbulence, bump kicked all the way, way make smoother, no kicking. Baby is due in a month and all is fine! Factor 50 is a good idea, my skin was drier than usual so extra aftersun. Wear open sandals to stop feet swelling in heat and a hand held fan. Just remember to stay hydrated and have a lovely holiday.

Metalhead Sun 16-Aug-15 21:42:21

I've just come back from a week in Cyprus and was 22 weeks when we flew out. Flight was absolutely fine, didn't even wear flight socks, just got up to walk around a couple of times (to go to the loo!). It was very hot when we were there so I stayed in the shade most of the time, went inside between 12-3pm and made sure I drank plenty. No problems whatsoever, in fact I felt better than I had since week 6! Hope you have a lovely holiday.

sherbertlemon17 Sun 16-Aug-15 22:13:12

I just got back from Dubai, which is a 7 hour flight. Flew home at 22+3.

Flight socks and an aisle seat were great for the flight and when I was there I made sure I switched between the pool and the shade. Oh and drank loooooots of water! If I can survive 43•C everyday, you'll be fine smile

Have a brilliant time!

lauraa4 Sun 16-Aug-15 22:20:56

I went on a four and a half hour flight to Turkey at 26 weeks. As others have said keep applying sun cream and drink plenty of water. Strangely enough I actually found I coped better with the heat over there than I do here when its muggy and humid! I guess because its more of a dry climate.

One thing I wish I'd of remembered was flight socks. I ended up getting off the plane looking like I had no ankles! grin

eurochick Sun 16-Aug-15 22:25:22

You'll be absolutely fine. High factor sunscreen and flight socks are a good call. Stay well hydrated and walk about/wriggle legs frequently on the flights. Make sure you have good travel insurance. I'm surprised your airline wants a letter at 22 weeks. Most only ask for it after 28 weeks.

I flew to Israel in my first tri, the Maldives and the U.S. in my second tri and France in the third. None of the trips had any detrimental effect. Enjoy your trip.

eurochick Sun 16-Aug-15 22:26:23

What's the blanket for, btw? I'm intrigued!

newbian Mon 17-Aug-15 01:18:20

Flying is not a risk in pregnancy. I flew long haul at 20-22 weeks (14 hrs) and then 4.5 hrs at 25 weeks for a beach vacation. Wore compression socks and walked around a lot. No problems! Do take a medical note because if you look pregnant but don't have confirmation of how far you are along and that you are fit the fly, the airline has the discretion not to board you.

tinyme135 Mon 17-Aug-15 07:43:11

Apparently my OH said I need one incase I get to cold up in the air. I told you he worries too much.

Scotinoz Mon 17-Aug-15 09:34:53

I flew from Australia to the UK and back again at 26 and 29 weeks. It's fine.

Airlines wouldn't let you fly if it was problematic. And pregnancy exists in hotter climates. Enjoy your hols!

Brummiegirl15 Mon 17-Aug-15 09:40:04

I'm flying to US with Virgin Atlantic at 22 weeks. Midwife has told me exactly same as you, compression socks, lots of water, walk about a lot.

Virgin have specifically said that I don't need to tell them under 28 weeks but I will be taking my notes which has my EDD on

BeautifulBatman Mon 17-Aug-15 09:46:09

I've flown at 9, 12, 14, 20, 27, 29 weeks and will be flying at 35 weeks. All but one flight was med or long haul. It's absolutely fine. Flight socks, plenty of water and an aisle seat is what I recommend.

tinyme135 Mon 17-Aug-15 12:33:53

I won't be getting an Isle seat as OH hates small spaces. But I'm sure he'll move and let me sit there now and then.

BeautifulBatman Mon 17-Aug-15 12:41:33

It's so you can up, down and out easily enough....

Queazy Mon 17-Aug-15 12:44:35

You'll be absolutely fine. I just flew 4.5hrs at 21/22 weeks, without flight socks (forgot them!) and with a wriggling toddler on my lap who refused to sleep! I'm sitting in the shade all get time as can't bear the heat while pregnant. I'm normally a sun-lover smile I didn't realise factor 50 was necessary - I've just used factor 30, but don't spend too much time in the sun.

Buy lots of bottled water to carry around with you, and I even took lots of snacks in case we were delayed. There's nothing to worry about tho, so hope you both have a wonderful time xx

Want2bSupermum Mon 17-Aug-15 12:48:17

It's easy at 22 weeks. I flew to Chicago from NYC at 35 weeks and the seats were tiny. My son was born a few weeks later at 10lb6oz and I was huge. The plane was full so the crew had the obese guy next to me swich with a skinny 11 year old boy.

It was a 3 hr flight and I slept most of the way. At 22wks, if your pregnancy is straight forward, this is not big deal. For your trip make sure your travel insurance covers anything pregnancy related. Medical care in Cyprus is great but it's expensive.

tinyme135 Mon 17-Aug-15 16:02:57

Thanks for all the help. I'm just hoping if I have to sit in the middle I don't have an obese person sitting next to me or someone with broad shoulders.

When we came back from teneriefe in may, I had a very broad man sitting next to me plus my OH who is broad too and it was the most uncomfortable flight I have ever experienced.

Tigerstar123 Mon 17-Aug-15 16:11:34

Just to add, if you're going to get insect repellent (I get bitten here and abroad so much!) you should avoid anything with DEET in it.
Enjoy your break away! Xx

tinyme135 Mon 17-Aug-15 16:17:33

Thanks for the heads up smile

Want2bSupermum Mon 17-Aug-15 16:20:44

For insect spray don't spray your skin, spray your clothes and shoes. If it doesn't have DEET in it its another chemical that also will bound to be bad for pregnant ladies.

Tigerstar123 Mon 17-Aug-15 16:28:12

I was advised not to use anything containing DEET, even sprayed onto clothes. I was recommended to use something with citronella in. Avon do a oil type spray containing citronella which is not sold as an insect repellent but has rave reviews as one (google the reviews). I used it for Mexico and must say I only got a couple of bites (which would be the same had I used the strongest DEET on the market!) xx

batfish Mon 17-Aug-15 17:03:23

I went on holiday a couple of weeks ago at 29 weeks - 5 hour flight plus boat and no decent hospital anywhere near. Probably not the brightest idea I've ever had but all was ok - you'll be fine! Enjoy the holiday smile

tinyme135 Mon 17-Aug-15 18:08:10

Can I order from Avon even if I don't have a rep? My nan literally just sent off her order or I would have ordered it with her?

Tigerstar123 Mon 17-Aug-15 19:30:12

Hi tinyme135. I got mine from my dh's Nan as she gets Avon. Think you can order online, or maybe ask her if she knows her rep and if she does, they may be able to tag it onto the order? I'm sure the rep won't turn away business!

RepeatAdNauseum Mon 17-Aug-15 19:37:51

You can buy online, you don't need a rep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now