Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Did anyone else get thrush lots in pregnancy?

(18 Posts)
Frillsandspills Sun 16-Aug-15 18:24:51

I'm 22 weeks and i have thrush for the 3rd time. I posted a few days ago about watery discharge as I was beyond worried it might have been a loss of amnio, but since it seems to have gone into having all the characteristics of thrush (not so much itchy though).
I heard somewhere if you have it more than twice you should go to the doctor for a pessary is this correct?
I've been to the doctors a few times at about 11 weeks and they advised me to just leave it as I wasn't that irritated down there although the discharge itself was irritating to have. After leaving it it did turn itchy and at a trip to the hospital I had a very sympathetic doctor who felt quite sorry for me.

Is it normal to have thrush so much? I don't take baths with bubble bath in or use soap down there as I was advised not to. Some warm water and good ol fem fresh and that's it.
I've read recurring thrush is a symptom of GD so Is it worth mentioning to the midwife or is 3 times not really that much? I'd never had it before becoming pregnant so I feel like I'm just constantly a thrushy mess sad

coveredinsnot Sun 16-Aug-15 18:40:03

Stop using fem fresh! I suffered with recurrent thrush before pregnancy and when I switched to Lactacyd wash I've not had it again (and I have GD). I also regularly bathe in very salty water (one or two cupfulls of Epsom salts in a bath) - my GP said this would help keep things under control.

lauraa4 Sun 16-Aug-15 18:41:12

I've pretty much had thrush on and off most of my pregnancy and I'm 34 weeks. I don't have GD so doesn't necessarily mean if you have thrush regularly you have it, although it can be a symptom. I have been prescribed pessaries on three different occasions by my GP. The first time I was prescribed one strong pessary, the second time three pessaries, and then the third time twelve of them!

I found that taking milder doses over the course of a few days was much more effective than just one stronger one. However everyone reacts differently.

It seems to be OK now but obviously where discharge is more common in pregnancy sometimes it's hard to tell whether it's just discharge or thrush! Sometimes I don't itch either so I know how frustrating it can be.

You need to get them to prescribe you a pessary to try and clear it up. If you have thrush when you give birth sometimes you can pass it onto your baby. Although I did speak to my midwife about this and she said its not a huge deal, they would just have to treat the baby with the same type of thing. Where you are 22 weeks you have plenty of time to get it cleared up smile

coveredinsnot Sun 16-Aug-15 18:41:15

And also yes absolutely mention this to your gp and midwife as it does need to be treated. Don't let them fob you off! And don't downplay your symptoms either.

Ifiwasabadger Sun 16-Aug-15 18:56:15

Yes! Constantly. It was hell. I had every less are known to man. The only thing that helped was high strength probiotics, the ones you keep in the fridge.

Frillsandspills Sun 16-Aug-15 19:00:42

Thank you! I will definitely mention it. First GP I saw just told me what her discharge was like in pregnancy (not quite what I asked!) and told me it comes in all different textures etc etc and didn't give me anything, it wasn't until I was about 15 weeks I actually had something for it but it came back a couple of weeks later. I took a second pessary which cleared it up for about two weeks and now it's back again!

justabigdisco Sun 16-Aug-15 19:01:46

I had it a fair few times up to about 20 weeks, but not since.

Kangaroosjump Sun 16-Aug-15 19:44:58

Def get probiotics (check safe in pregnancy) and perhaps if it's recurrent consider eating less sugar as thrush feeds on it

I had thrush a few times in pregnancy and used canesten

I don't use Femfresh I swapped to faith in nature feminine wash as it has less chemicals in and I still feel like I need to use something...

LorryHen Sun 16-Aug-15 19:50:41

Ive had it three times and passed a GTT so dont worry.

Could you have passed it to your partner? There isn't symptoms for thrush in men and we were playing thrush tennis for awhile (sexy) until we realised what had happened.

Oly5 Sun 16-Aug-15 19:52:28

Yes constantly
Needed a lot of canestan from the GP

coveredinsnot Sun 16-Aug-15 21:38:17

Ah yes, thrush tennis! If you and your partner are having sex at all he will also need to be treated
I think men need to use the cream 3 times a day
Obviously they can't use pessaries unless you really hate him! grin ouch
Perhaps the thrush tablet could work for a man? Not sure
Worth checking out though as they can have no symptoms at all the lucky buggers.

Stylingwax Sun 16-Aug-15 21:42:42

I am 20 weeks and have had it for 2 weeks. tis grim, am seeing midwife on Tuesday and seeing if there's anything other than the cream. have also given to DP so he's delighted, clearly.

Junosmum Sun 16-Aug-15 21:52:43

Stop with the fem fresh - just use water (and white vinegar if you want). Don't use any bubblebath/ bath bombs/ salts/ oils etc etc.

It can be a sign of gestational diabetes. It can also be a very rare sign of an underactive thyroid - your GP will likely be completely unaware of the latter, it's not a well documented symptom but it was significant for me.

So a trip to the GP, if only to have the incidence logged one their system!

Junosmum Sun 16-Aug-15 21:58:20

There are also 2 organisms responsible for thrush - the common one, candida is what canestan treats. If that doesn't do it (as it doesn't for me, there's a second organism which requires a different cream/ pessary combo! Again, not many GPs are aware of this.

Can you tell I've had an awful lot of thrush in my life!?

designedbynature Sun 16-Aug-15 22:01:05

stop using fem fresh, only use white toilet roll and try some natural yoghurt on your itchy bits

SilverBlur Sun 16-Aug-15 22:03:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Imisscheese Sun 16-Aug-15 22:08:46

I had thrush all the time, it's hideous! Get medication and don't use FemFresh. X

lemon101 Sun 16-Aug-15 22:34:17

I used to get thrush loads before I got pregnant but haven't had any since the bfp. Eating yoghurt regularly, washing only with water (downstairs) and wearing cotton pants will drastically reduce the likelihood of it returning - trust me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now