Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I keep worrying

(8 Posts)
CrispsAndChoc Sun 16-Aug-15 17:16:21

I'm currently 14 weeks pregnant. I've had two previous miscarriages and this is the first time I've had a positive experience at a twelve week scan. Because of the previous miscarriages, everything is worrying me. My symptoms have gone which I know is normal in the second trimester but I think I would rather have them for reassurance! I've been on holiday to Italy and worried about everything I've eaten. I avoided cold uncooked meats easily but nearly everything had cheese in it and I'm confused about whether I should have eaten it or not. I've been googling since and just seen that gelato may not be safe-I ate loads! I thought I only needed to avoid soft ice cream. I'm worried that I've done the wrong thing and caused harm. Has anyone here had problems due to eating the wrong foods? Did you have any symptoms?

AboutTimeIChangedMyNameAgain Sun 16-Aug-15 18:12:08

I conceived in holiday in Italy so you can imagine what I ate and drank! I have a very healthy 3 year old now.

You'll be fine, and if you were ill you'd know about it. Don't worry flowers

Indomitable Sun 16-Aug-15 18:20:05

Cold meats, soft cheeses and the ice cream thing (which I think is not on the banned list any more, but don't take my word for it) are a problem if you get ill from eating them. Because your immune system is slightly suppressed in pregnancy.

If you're not ill, I'm sure your baby is fine.

Speak to your midwife regarding your anxieties.

Junosmum Sun 16-Aug-15 18:25:20

If you didn't get ill then you and baby have not been harmed by what you have eaten. Soft ice cream is fine unless it's homemade (not 'homemade' in a factory, actually homemade, by you, a friend/ relative etc, as it may contain partially cooked egg).

Softcheese - meh, you could have, theoretically, caught listeria. But you didn't.

Cold meats are fine on the whole.

FeelTheNoise Sun 16-Aug-15 18:32:33

Please don't forget that you are really soon to feel kicks, but until then you're in the worst time for no reassurance. Soon you'll have kicks as well as Doppler checks smile I did find 12 weeks to 18 ish was the most worrying time for that reason, along with the reduction in symptoms. I'm now 36 weeks and completely governed by kicks and symptoms, so please don't give up hope x

FeelTheNoise Sun 16-Aug-15 18:33:46

Oh, and being 36 weeks, I conceived at the start of December and found out I was pg in mid January, so this baby has survived December without me knowing I was pg blush and he's fine!

shoopshoopsong Sun 16-Aug-15 18:36:32

Really sorry to hear about your previous miscarriages - but please take comfort that you are much much much less likely to have to experience that again now past the 1st trimester. Try and be kind to yourself - you're doing everything right! In my area there is a service available called baby blues I think - it's counselling or support for pregnant or post partum women with mental health problems (not suggesting this is what you have, but they cater for that)or in need of extra support. You could see if there is something similar in your area,or ask your midwife for extra support.

CrispsAndChoc Sun 16-Aug-15 22:15:23

Thank you everyone. I know that what you're all saying is right, I'm just a worrier! I have my 16 week appointment in two weeks and although I'm not sure what to expect, I'm pretty sure that the doctor should listen to the heartbeat so that will completely reassure me. Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now