Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

feeling very fat at 10 weeks... is this normal?

(13 Posts)
SinIckAll Sat 15-Aug-15 13:37:25

I'm between 10-11 weeks pregnant and my belly is very bloated, I swear I look 6 months already! This is my first pregnancy so I know it's way to soon to be showing and I just feel that it's a fat belly, and not a pregnancy belly iyswim. I'm usually a size 12 and whilst I do carry a small bit of flab usually I'm finding at the moment that most of clothes have become either uncomfortable or just show my bloated belly too much. Don't get me wrong, if this was the start of a baby bump I would be fully embracing it (and will do when I am properly "showing"), but at the moment I'm struggling to know what to wear without just looking like I've put on loads of weight, especially given that not many people know I'm pregnant yet. I guess I have been eating more than usual due to the tiredness and nausea so I probably have gained more than just a little pregnancy bloat. Is this normal? I'm worried people will be like " she's too early to be showing so she's obviously just over eating and getting fat" confused When can I realistically justify this with being a baby belly?!

MisForMumNotMaid Sat 15-Aug-15 13:53:18

Congratulations.

In a few weeks time you'll have more of a bump rather than bloating. Those weeks will go by soon enough and anyone rude enough to suggest you've piled on pounds isn't worth your energy.

Just because you know of the miracle going on inside don't feel you need to share before you're ready. Maybe just have a preprepared line incase anyone guesses and you don't want to share or directly lie.

Something lightly humoured like 'goodness are you suggesting i look fat, must watch the cookie munching.'

SaltySeaBird Sat 15-Aug-15 14:00:16

I'm at 8 weeks, second baby and I feel the same. I'm a size 14 at the moment so no stick insect but my boobs and stomach seem to have inflated a ridiculous amount, yet on the scales I've actually lost 3lbs from when I found out.

Everybody is different, I just seem to go for a balloon type pregnancy look. Nothing is fitting me either which is very annoying considering I've actually lost weight.

blondiejess1982 Sat 15-Aug-15 15:23:34

I am 8 weeks and have put on half a stone!!! Plus my tummy is really bloated. I am usually a size ten so I am sure people must be noticing. Mine I think is due to not exercising as much (I use to do 6 days a weeks high intensity)I have cut that back as don't want to risk anything. Also, like you I have been feeling so sick that I have been eating a bit more freely than normal, still healthy mostly but I am not going to deprive myself of ginger biscuits and bread if that is what is helping me. X

SnozzberryPie Sat 15-Aug-15 15:34:07

This is my second and by the time of the 12 week scan I couldn't fit in my jeans but had actually lost weight confused

I think it is just hormonal bloating, like before your period is due only more so.

You need to wear floaty dresses, leggings with tunic tops etc until you get a more defined bump.

Skiptonlass Sat 15-Aug-15 16:56:50

Oh I was the same! I'd actually lost about 11lb due to vomiting but I still looked like id had too many pies. Just bloat, really.

Once you get a decent bump you feel much better about it all smile

CarShare Sat 15-Aug-15 17:05:18

I'm now 15 weeks but felt uncomfortable in my jeans from around 6 weeks- big bloated belly. I'm usually a size 10-12 and have def put on a fair bit already (at least 7lbs if I had to guess). I was very tired and nauseous and also very hungry.
The bloating reduced for me at about 12 weeks and my appetite and nausea reduced at around 13 weeks so I think the weight gain may slow a bit.
I doubt many other people consider how much weight they think it is reasonable to gain at various stages of someone else's pregnancy (bit weird if they do!) and it's no ones business. Most people will just be delighted to hear your news and not think about how far along you are/how big your bump is. Congratulations! Enjoy your pregnancy and tell any weight obsessed weirdos to do one :-)

SeldomAthleticFC Sat 15-Aug-15 17:24:18

I'm nearly 11 weeks and over the last ten days or so, I've suddenly developed a big stomach but it's not a proper bump. It's my third, so I guess that's not so surprising but, like you, I'm worried about people guessing before I'm ready to tell them.
I can feel my uterus now, as a hard bump under the flab, so that's obviously pushing my gut out of the way and over the top of my jeans - attractive!
I'm back to work next week after a fortnight's holiday and I think most people will assume I've been knocking back the lagers and over-eating while I was away.

chelle792 Sat 15-Aug-15 17:29:09

I'm nearly 9 weeks with my first. Have gone up three bra sizes and have a definite tum that I can't hide! I feel your pain - this baby is no secret because everybody who sees me guesses almost instantly (first friend guessed when I was 6 weeks)

blondiejess1982 Sat 15-Aug-15 17:30:37

I don't know if any of you watch Nashville? But when Hayden Panettiere's character was pregnant she actually was in real life. I thought she looked beautiful even with some obvious extra pounds. It made a change from usual pregnancies in TV/film where it is always the neat little bump!
Actress

SinIckAll Sat 15-Aug-15 23:30:39

thanks for all your kind replies. It does make me feel slightly better to know I'm not the only one feeling like this (until tomorrow morning when I have to get dressed again...)! I keep trying to remind myself when I'm feeling a bit self involved that all of this is worth it to have a healthy baby at the end!

zannyminxoxox Sun 16-Aug-15 08:46:53

I feel like same my boobs dont fit my bras they are massive. Everythings tight on me I feel 6 months pregnant already. My hubby was staring at my belly yesterday. I said why are you staring he said I look pregnant already. I said I know but its just bloating im only 9 weeks sad

CoffeeAndOranges Sun 16-Aug-15 09:55:05

I was exactly the same at that stage - I was so bloated and felt enormous. I had unfortunately gained about half a stone by then thanks to bloat and the nausea making me want to eat salty crackers and melted cheese all day.

I am now 26 weeks and still feel huge - I've put on 2 stone which is way more than I should have done, mainly thanks to pelvic pain putting a stop to most exercise. At least I have a bump now so most people know. I have to remind myself I am 6 months pregnant so do I really expect to look the same as before? I knew I wouldn't really just have a neat bump, my body doesn't seem to work that way, but it I hard sometimes to embrace my new figure. Weirdly enough I feel happiest looking at my body & bump when I'm naked or just in undies - then I'm amazed at what my body can do and I do think it looks beautiful. Then I try & put clothes on and feel big and unweildy again.

DH loves my big boobs though grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now