Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Smear test anxiety

(7 Posts)
Sophia1984 Fri 14-Aug-15 22:43:06

So, I think this is just my anxiety, but I am having a big freak out about being late for my smear test. I don't even know that I am!
I moved house in April last year and didn't tell my GP. I'm worried that they've sent a letter out that I've missed so I could be up to 16 months late. I know I have had a test but can't remember when! I'm 31.

I have since continued to have check ups there, so would the practice nurse or doctor have told me if I were overdue?

I have generalised anxiety with an obsessive/hypochondriac edge, and this has really set me off. Thoughts are spiralling :-( I'm 5 weeks pregnant so I'm also worried they either won't do a smear test till baby's born, or that they will and will get an abnormal result. Help! Should I just wait to ask the midwife at my booking in appointment in 4 weeks?

Emileelogan Fri 14-Aug-15 22:46:03

Dont worry to much I was 2 years late for mine and I got a all clear... I think they may wait until u have had baby but your midwife will know best xxx

lilyb84 Fri 14-Aug-15 22:54:16

I had a similar worry when I moved and didn't tell my doctor a few years ago (although wasn't pregnant at the time).

You need to tell your GP you've moved, especially since you're now pregnant, and if you're out of their catchment area, register at a new practice. As for the smear, just call up and say you're overdue one and they (or the new GP if you need to move) should be able to advise! Most of all, don't panic smile

lilac3033 Fri 14-Aug-15 23:07:11

Afraid they won't do one until 12 weeks postpartum. I was due one while pregnant, went up 9 weeks after the birth only to be sent home! You can get abnormal results before that 12 week mark apparently! I wouldn't worry though!! I'm probably a good year over due...

Brummiegirl15 Fri 14-Aug-15 23:47:06

You won't have a smear test done now until after the baby arrives

AbbeyRoadCrossing Sat 15-Aug-15 10:53:19

They won't do it until a few months after the birth. Have you had abnormal ones previously? If not, it's probably fine to wait a bit longer, if you have missed one. I think they are every 3-5 years depending where you live so if you had it 16 months ago that's fine too

Sophia1984 Sat 15-Aug-15 11:43:04

I haven't had an abnormal one before. I only had penetrative sex for the first time when I was 25 due to vaginismus, so I think I've only had one or two tests (I'm guessing at 25 and 28). By 16 months I mean I could be 16 months over the 3 year mark :-\

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now