Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Twins?

(19 Posts)
Emileelogan Fri 14-Aug-15 22:15:29

So my other half has twin in his family. I believe it was his grandads generation and his mum and siblings have had no twins.. Could there be a chance I could have them even though there's no history on my side? I'm 6 weeks and have a midwife appointment on 25/08

Are there any signs?

Any advice would be great xx

mayaknew Fri 14-Aug-15 22:18:34

I'm sure the likelihood of twins comes from the maternal side , so it would come from your side .

My mum is a twin , I'm 30 and I'm on my third pregnancy . They told me at booking I had a good chance of having twins . But at scan I found out I'm having another wee singleton .smile

How old are you ?

Emileelogan Fri 14-Aug-15 22:20:43

Im 32 and the Mil has been winding me up lol xx

AwfulBeryl Fri 14-Aug-15 22:27:20

The type of genes that have been proven to run in families are fraternal twins - non identical which is passed on through the maternal line as its from releasing 2 eggs.
Here are some theories that suggest some sperm may be more likely to split the egg, which is why you might have sets of id twins a paternal side, I dont know if it's just internet nonsense though as as far as I am aware no research has proven this theory.
Congratulations on your pregnancy smile

AwfulBeryl Fri 14-Aug-15 22:28:30

Oh and twins are great, my 2 are 5. If by any chance you are pregnant with twins I am sure you will be just fine smile

AwfulBeryl Fri 14-Aug-15 22:29:29

Gah lots of typos, too much wine with dinner blush

TravellingToad Fri 14-Aug-15 22:30:22

Twins are only passed down the female line. Tell your MIL she's talking bollocks and to take some time to think about the biology.

Identical twins - caused by a total fluke of having an egg that splits. Not genetic, inherited at all.

Fraternal twins - the mother needs a genetic disposition towards (or fluke of course) releasing more than 1 egg per cycle. This (fraternal) is the type that can run in families but clearly only down the female line.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Fri 14-Aug-15 22:33:05

I understand the older you are the more likely it is.

TravellingToad Fri 14-Aug-15 22:36:00

Fraternal twins are more likely when you're older as you're more likely to release 2 eggs in one cycle. But thats not influenced by the fathers genetics

Emileelogan Fri 14-Aug-15 22:38:29

Awfulberyl I'm so jealous u have wine ha ha and I'm mainly worried about the room already have one ds ha ha

Travellingtoad she hasn't done it in a nasty way and unfortunately neither of us have a degree in biology...

U saying I'm old sally ;) lol

Thanks to u all for your comments smile xx

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Fri 14-Aug-15 22:44:58

Yes dear, 32 is the right age .. Now go get your knee blacket, big foot boot and Horlicks. ( buy twins insurance grin)

Emileelogan Fri 14-Aug-15 22:50:52

Ha ha sally I've got blanket and a cup of tea should be out with the girls drinking prosecco but "I've got a cold" ;) and I have no room for two I don't Want the box room sad lol xx

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Fri 14-Aug-15 23:19:41

If you get twins, you'll sleep standing up!

Emileelogan Fri 14-Aug-15 23:53:44

Ha ha duly noted sally xx

AwfulBeryl Sat 15-Aug-15 00:30:35

If you get twins, you'll sleep standing up!
This is true, I have done it. It's surprisingly comfortable. grin
It's unlikely you will have twins but if you do you will work it out. I had terrible sickness by 6 weeks and was showing by 8, it was my first pregnancy though so had nothing to compare it to.

Emileelogan Sat 15-Aug-15 07:51:06

I feel sick quite a lot but no sickness really sore books cramps like period pains and I'm not slim anyway so u could say it looks like a bump lol xx

eurochick Sat 15-Aug-15 07:57:05

As others have said, non id twins come down the maternal line. It's a result of a genetic tendency to release more than one egg per month. Both sides of my family have non id twins and I know on a monitored cycle I had two eggs ready to pop, so twins could be a possibility for me.

Id twins are a fluke of cell division from a single fertilised egg.

Kickedinthetits Sat 15-Aug-15 10:23:31

Others are correct- it comes down the maternal side.
However I am currently pregnant with fraternal twins with no family history or fertility treatment. I am 30. I believe the likelihood of conceiving twins naturally without family history etc is about 1 in 80 so of course it is still possible. Unlikely, but possible!

Emileelogan Sat 15-Aug-15 10:54:14

Thank u again everyone xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now