Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can I get a second consultant opinion?

(5 Posts)
Mum2babelle Fri 14-Aug-15 18:33:23

Hello wise mnetters
I've had my consultant appointment today with a very senior doctor. We discussed my options for vbac or planned section.
I wasn't impressed with his approach and his advice left me with many questions which I couldn't raise or that were poo pooe explanation. He was very dismissive and casual. His advice did not accord with the Rcog guidelines and if it's different in my case he didn't explain why. The result was to see me again at 37 weeks (am 18 weeks now).

I'd really like to discuss with another consultant. Do I have the right to ask / get a second opinion??
If I don't I might end up being very scared in labour or with an unnecessary planned section!

If anyone has any experience please share.

Thank you

I

Topsy34 Fri 14-Aug-15 18:47:35

Yes of course you can get a second opinion, i would guess you need to speak to your mw about it?

Have you discussed vbac with your mw?

MummyPiggy87 Fri 14-Aug-15 18:51:56

Sounds exactly like mine.
I went in at 21 weeks, he couldn't really be bothered to explain either, or. I got the impression he preferred me to have a vbac but didn't explain anything. I don't know the pros and cons of having either except the common sense of recovering better etc, or which is safest. I've also got another appointment at 34 weeks so I hope it's not with him. They've booked in a elcs just in case so it's up to me to decide! And I'm still 50/50 5 weeks after the appointment!!

Mum2babelle Fri 14-Aug-15 19:01:20

Thanks. I have only seen one midwife after 12 week scan. Is she my midwife? I could just ring the clinic? The midwife I saw went through my old surgery notes and said it would be my choice but I would be given more info. She thought I'd end up with section. Consultant said vbac fine. I just want more specific information to help me make a choice.

Whatsonemore Sat 15-Aug-15 18:02:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now