Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Vitamin B6 for nausea

(9 Posts)
lovemakespeace Fri 14-Aug-15 17:54:39

Hi all,

I was just reading that vitamin b6 can help with morning sickness and nausea. I am 6+3 and I feel rough!! I have 2 little ones to look after already and if this is going like my first pregnancy (2nd was a bit better) it is not going away any time soon ;)

Has anyone tried this? And if so what dose did you take? And did you check with your GP before?

I can't imagine the GP being very useful about it tbh so not that keen to make an appointment. But would really appreciate hearing anyone's experiences smile

Right, I am off to shops to buy Boursin and olives which is what this baby wants apparently.

Thanks smile

lilac3033 Fri 14-Aug-15 23:15:07

I did, but I used it along with doxylamine succinate. These are components of a safe anti nausea medicine used in Canada and a number of other countries. I took 10mg of each 2-3 times a day. I didn't feel great but I was never sick or gagging. It definitely took the edge off! I started with just B6 and added the doxylamine later. Started with one dose and worked up to 3.

lovemakespeace Sat 15-Aug-15 09:12:10

Thanks smile I was looking at that drug it is also FDA approved now. As you say the recommended dose is 20-40mg daily spread out so I think I will give that a try starting off low and see if it helps. I actually feel a bit better today!

lilac3033 Sat 15-Aug-15 09:30:02

I spoke to my sister who is a nurse (and was pregnant at the same time) before taking it. She checked it with her doctor in the states as well. She couldn't take the doxylamine through the day as it made her very sleepy. Otherwise it was all good! Babies are both fine. I also realised my mum took it while pregnant with me!

lovemakespeace Sat 15-Aug-15 12:59:13

Thanks lilac that's really helpful to know - I figure for the FDA to approve something they must be pretty sure!

Weirdly I feel a lot better today! First trimester is loooong and hard, awful when you have symptoms and panic inducing when you don't ;)

CarrieLouise25 Sat 15-Aug-15 13:10:32

I've been taking B6 since 4-5 weeks. 3 doses a day x 20mg. It definitely helped.

It took a few days to get in my system, and then I could manage the nausea much better.

Although nausea for me did keep getting worse until 11-12 weeks, hope it will even out again now.

Also wearing sea sickness bands helps sometimes.

Good luck! x

LynetteScavo Sat 15-Aug-15 13:57:32

I took vitamin B complex tablets and they really helped with the nausia.

I also found cutting out all refined sugar helped.

lovemakespeace Sat 15-Aug-15 17:01:53

Thanks ladies - all very reassuring and good to know. I am going to try some tonight before bed. I could only find 50mg tablets so will cut them in half smile

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Sat 15-Aug-15 19:43:31

Didn't help me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now