Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Food question - confit meat and fish - safe or no?

(4 Posts)
CakeInMyFace Fri 14-Aug-15 09:49:17

My DH and I are going for dinner tomorrow and looking through the menu there are a quite a few items that are 'confit.' I'm not entirely sure if this is safe to eat? I can't find much online - I know confit meat is cooked, but at a much lower temperature, so unsure whether bacteria would be killed off in this process.

For example, one of the starters is duck confit spring roll. One of the fish dishes has confit octopus.

Anyone know?

goldenhen Fri 14-Aug-15 12:54:51

Absolutely fine.

Junosmum Fri 14-Aug-15 13:29:53

It's fine. Confit is cooked at about 90 degrees C, cooking above 70 for more than 30mins and bacteria is killed. TO be honest, cooking at 70 for a minute and it's all killed!

Some confit is then cooled and made in to a terrine/ pate type thing. This would not be ok as the moisture in the terrine/ pate could harbour bacteria but if you ask they'll be able to tell you.

CakeInMyFace Fri 14-Aug-15 19:38:52

Thank you! Will check re terrine/pate but looking forward to our meal out now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now